Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-21-2021, 01:18 PM   #21
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Permanent DST would mean a 1 hour difference from November to March and a 2 hour difference the rest of the year.

As others have said, it makes no sense to do this on our own and be out of sync with the rest of the continent for many months every year. It only makes sense to make any change in conjunction with the other states and provinces that have been discussing this.

A referendum on it is a massive waste of time and money.
Right, I totally have it backwards. Still, I think I'd rather be consistent with the rest of the continent.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 01:19 PM   #22
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

If not DST permanently, then keep it as it is. I do not want Standard Time. I love our long summer evenings.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2021, 01:48 PM   #23
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd prefer the later daylight in winter anyway. It's already dark in the morning. It's dark until long after I've been at wok. And then it's dark when i get home. Give me an extra evening hour so I can at least see some daylight.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2021, 02:06 PM   #24
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

going to late hockey games would suck. 9:10 puckdrop

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 02:24 PM   #25
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll be voting to not switch times any more. My kids are big enough now that it isn't as big an issue anymore, but there were a few years where it was really bad every time we switched.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 02:37 PM   #26
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'd prefer the later daylight in winter anyway. It's already dark in the morning. It's dark until long after I've been at wok. And then it's dark when i get home. Give me an extra evening hour so I can at least see some daylight.
I'll repeat that I think people are overlooking how many more dark mornings we'd have under permanent daylight savings time. Do you want twice as many dark mornings so you can get that extra hour of sunlight between 4:00 and 6:00pm? I sure don't.
Old 07-21-2021, 02:45 PM   #27
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
I'll repeat that I think people are overlooking how many more dark mornings we'd have under permanent daylight savings time. Do you want twice as many dark mornings so you can get that extra hour of sunlight between 4:00 and 6:00pm? I sure don't.
If we really have to do this (we shouldn't) give me all the sunlight after work.

Morning sun is useless.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2021, 02:47 PM   #28
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I do, because I like to finish work at 4. I it means I can go for a quick cross country ski in daylight after work, or ride at least one direction in daylight, it's a benefit for me. Again, why do I care if it's dark longer in the morning?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2021, 03:03 PM   #29
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's easy to say "I don't need the sun in the morning" but it's another to actually live through 4+ months of always waking up and starting your day in the dark. Russia tried permanent DST in 2011 and abandoned it 3 years later. They have cities with similar daylight as us, so they are probably a good proxy.
Old 07-21-2021, 03:08 PM   #30
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Ummmm, yeah, who wouldn't?

If we define dark mornings as mornings where the sun rises after 8 AM, the time many people are at work or driving to work, we have 42 more mornings that are dark under permanent DST.

We currently have 105 mornings where the sun rises after 8 AM.

What we're doing is trading 82 extra days of sunrise after 9 (currently all after 8) for 79 extra days of sunset after 5 and 35 extra days of sunset after 6, and 21 extra days of sunset after 7.

So, with this change, the average person who works indoors 8-5 or 8-4 will be outside of work for an additional 135 hours where there is sun, the average person who works indoors 9-5 will be outside of work for an additional 53 hours where there is some sun.

The math works. Don't fact check it. More sun, baby.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2021, 03:10 PM   #31
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

No, I don't really want dark mornings in the winter. But I really, really don't want dark evenings in the summer.

Which is why I think we should keep daylight savings time. It makes sense in a location where the differences between summer and winter are so great. But apparently people get tired two weekends out of the year...

And if we have to keep one time, western Saskatchewan has been handling permanent daylight savings time for years and seems to manage it.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 03:10 PM   #32
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's easy to say "I don't need the sun in the morning" but it's another to actually live through 4+ months of always waking up and starting your day in the dark. Russia tried permanent DST in 2011 and abandoned it 3 years later. They have cities with similar daylight as us, so they are probably a good proxy.
I wake up and start my day in the dark 4+ months of the year already. As I assume many people do as well.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 03:18 PM   #33
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I'd only be ok with it if the rest of North America drops it. Otherwise, no I'd rather stick with changing it like the rest of the regions. Working for a company who's head office is in Toronto, it's already a pain in the butt to have a 2 hour difference. It would suck even more if we adopt the skip ahead permanently and become 3 hour difference for half the year.
Welcome to my life. Living in Vancouver, but having 80% of clients being on eastern time, I'm constantly on meetings at earlier hours than I'd prefer. Though, it's nice to have peace and quiet starting at 2:30PM Pacific.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 03:25 PM   #34
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Do you want twice as many dark mornings so you can get that extra hour of sunlight between 4:00 and 6:00pm? I sure don't.
Fk yeah, I do. As others mentioned, in the winter it’s dark when I drive to work, I see very little of the light during the day, and it’s dark again when I drive home under standard time. Give me some extra light in the evening please.
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brendone For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2021, 03:34 PM   #35
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

all this sunrise/sunset talk has made me hyper-aware and depressed that we're already a month removed from peak daylight, and the slide into winter darkness is already beginning to accelerate like a rollercoaster a half second past the top.

thanks guys now I hate the 51st parallel. I crave the breezy stability of tropical daylight.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 03:38 PM   #36
Swarly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My first choice by far is MDT year-round. If we can't have that I'd vote to keep switching rather than MST year-round.

We're already on MDT 8 months of the year. More sun in the evenings!

add: but of course, this only makes sense if others also stay static, we can't be the only ones like some crazy Sask province
Swarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 03:41 PM   #37
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

When there's only 8 hours of sunlight in a day, it doesn't really matter if it's early or late, it's still only 8 hours. At least if you can have one of those hours outside the work day, it's a chance to be outside under the sun.

So, really if the choice is between going to work just before sunrise and going home just before sunset, or going to work in darkness but coming home with an hour of sunlight left, the second option sounds better.
Old 07-21-2021, 03:53 PM   #38
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Just a reminder that the science says that the morning sun is better for your health and afternoon sun is useless.

Since health and wellness, accidents, sleep patterns etc are always brought up when advocating for getting rid of changing time, I'd think people would put this as the #1 priority.

Standard time is the proven best option.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2021, 04:47 PM   #39
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are good arguments for going with standard or daylight savings time. Both sides make excellent points on why we should choose them as the permanent time. I am going to provide a third choice, where we go with daylights savings time from March to November to take advantage of the increased sunlight, and stick with standard time from November to March. In this case, both sides get to win, and the timing of the sunlight is altered to be the most efficient. It sounds like a win win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2021, 05:46 PM   #40
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will vote to get rid of it. It will take a while, but all provinces will get on board with killing it eventually; one by one. This is beyond nuisance. I hate it and always hated it.
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post: