Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2021, 12:32 PM   #101
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Yes. I used the sending people home early as an example. but middle managers depending on where they work, are more handcuffed than you think.
The problem is that you see it as being handcuffed. You're not handcuffed. Nobody is handcuffed in how they approach being a leader. The actions you can take to reflect that approach will be different based on what you can and can't do or what requirements you need to meet, but your approach and your outlook are not handcuffed. And that is what matters.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2021, 01:06 PM   #102
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've learned more about management and leadership from the dissenting opinions in this thread (and site wide, to an extent) than I have from consultants that probably cost my company tens of thousands.

That's why I am somewhat opposed to consultants doing training of whole departments or divisions. They all learn the same thing. I'd rather send managers/sales personnel to different courses so they bring back dissenting opinions to share and learn from.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2021, 01:07 PM   #103
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I've learned more about management and leadership from the dissenting opinions in this thread (and site wide, to an extent) than I have from consultants that probably cost my company tens of thousands.

That's why I am somewhat opposed to consultants doing training of whole departments or divisions. They all learn the same thing. I'd rather send managers/sales personnel to different courses so they bring back dissenting opinions to share and learn from.
Those training programs are worthless, IMO. They train poor managers to act like good managers, but they're still poor managers.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2021, 03:40 PM   #104
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I've been to several PD conferences with speakers and workshops on leadership.

I've always tried to take away 3 things. Sometimes successfully, sometimes not.

That's not 3 things per speaker, or per session, that's 3 things from the week.

The best sessions are always the breakout sessions where you talk about your company issues with peers, and get their feedback.

To circle back (to use the annoying corporate jargon) it doesn't matter if you're upper or middle management or entry level brand new employee. Leadership is the quality of the person who helps others. Managers aren't necessarily leaders, and leaders aren't necessarily managers.

People often think manager = leader, but that isn't always and unfortunately often isn't the case.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 05:29 PM   #105
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
Managers aren't necessarily leaders, and leaders aren't necessarily managers.

People often think manager = leader, but that isn't always and unfortunately often isn't the case.
Some people like to equate management skills with the technical nature of jobs, such as scheduling, budgeting, allocating tasks, reporting, planning, etc. Leadership is often equated with important-sounding terms like motivate and inspire. At the end of the day, if you are responsible for people, you need both. It doesn't matter if you are the VP of Imagination at Awesome Tech Company or the shift manager at Gross Reasturant Inc., you need technical organizational skills and people skills.

I just finished up the first week of the new job and I think things have gone well. I like to think I am already providing value to my employees by removing barriers and streamlining things for them to be able to do their job. What is funny though, is I spent a lot of time thinking about my approach, but I didn't spend as much time thinking about how strategic people in my new office will be in their approach to me. That has been interesting. I've seen the super friendly welcoming and I've seen the test of what I can get away with early. For the latter, it has just been about cutting through the BS and focusing on the work. I don't care if you are occasionally late or have to leave early. I care about what you get done and the quality of your professional relationships.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote