Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2021, 01:25 PM   #41
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
I don't know?

Wait is this a rhetorical question?
I was wondering if the owner of the station is some kind of loon? It seems to be a bizarre story for a news organization to post.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 01:38 PM   #42
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I was wondering if the owner of the station is some kind of loon? It seems to be a bizarre story for a news organization to post.
Haha, ok, I thought I missed something.

Yeah, weird article regardless. Although I am not too familiar with CBS Vegas.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 01:38 PM   #43
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Snopes is run by 3 sketchy people with no journalistic training and pretty hard left political leanings. The don't do any investigating beyond google searches.
Well, those "3 sketchy people" have a team of journalists who have written for The Atlantic, Al Jazeera, The Seattle Times, been news producers on Patriot Act, have a Ph.D. in journalism, etc. and actually have their fact-checking process outlined:

Quote:
In general, each entry is assigned to one of the members of our editorial staff who undertakes the preliminary research and writes the first draft of the fact check.

Our research generally begins with (whenever possible) attempting to contact the source of the claim for elaboration and supporting information. We also attempt to contact individuals and organizations who would be knowledgeable about, or have relevant expertise in, the subject at hand, as well as searching out printed information (news articles, scientific and medical journal articles, books, interview transcripts, statistical sources) with bearing on the topic.

We attempt to use non-partisan information and data sources (e.g., peer-reviewed journals, government agency statistics) as much as possible, and to alert readers that information and data from sources such as political advocacy organizations and partisan think tanks should be regarded with skepticism.

Depending upon the nature and complexity of the topic, other members of the editorial staff may contribute additional research (or their own personal expertise) and editing. The final product will pass through the hands of at least one editor. Any piece that is not deemed up to our standards by one or more editors is subject to further revision and review before being released for publication.
But sure dude. Just 3 sketchy people with google open on that squad.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 01:40 PM   #44
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Snopes is run by 3 sketchy people with no journalistic training and pretty hard left political leanings. The don't do any investigating beyond google searches.
Yeah, this is straight up not true.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 01:41 PM   #45
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Well, those "3 sketchy people" have a team of journalists who have written for The Atlantic, Al Jazeera, The Seattle Times, been news producers on Patriot Act, have a Ph.D. in journalism, etc. and actually have their fact-checking process outlined:

But sure dude. Just 3 sketchy people with google open on that squad.
Honestly we could probably tag the bulk of Matata's posts with "Source: Trust me, dude."
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2021, 01:41 PM   #46
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Love how the truth = left wing now.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 01:42 PM   #47
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
Thanks for this! I started it last night and it's bananas.
I am too cheap to give to Patreon, but they released a compilation of "Premium Episodes" just before Christmas: an anthology of absurdly hilarious fan-fiction narratives that they put together featuring the adventures of Gen. Michael Flynn and his son Michael Flynn Jr, all styled around the Indiana Jones movies with Sean Connery playing the General.

"Episode 122: A Very Flynn Christmas Anthology," is a must-listen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 02-04-2021 at 01:59 PM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 04:19 PM   #48
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Honestly we could probably tag the bulk of Matata's posts with "Source: Trust me, dude."

Hey, that's my source too!

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2021, 05:04 PM   #49
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I remember when Snopes came from the usenet on (I think) alt.urban-legends. I think it was a couple (the Mikkelsons?) who curated all the debunking, but they were extremely thorough, and had extremely high standards. Nothing was ruled False unless absolutely verified with actual hard evidence. I remember because I read a lot of usenet back then, and submitted one piece of evidence to debunk an urban legend that was eventually accepted.

I don't know if Snopes has changed ownership since, but it was definitely founded on very solid ground.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 05:56 PM   #50
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Quote:
lol
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 06:05 PM   #51
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
I remember when Snopes came from the usenet on (I think) alt.urban-legends. I think it was a couple (the Mikkelsons?) who curated all the debunking, but they were extremely thorough, and had extremely high standards. Nothing was ruled False unless absolutely verified with actual hard evidence. I remember because I read a lot of usenet back then, and submitted one piece of evidence to debunk an urban legend that was eventually accepted.

I don't know if Snopes has changed ownership since, but it was definitely founded on very solid ground.
As I recall they got divorced, it was quite messy and 'ownership' of Snopes was part of the settlement, the husband ended up in control as I recall
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 05:35 PM   #52
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okay...I'll check in on this thread from time to time but...

I'm going through the first episode of a QAnon documentary and so far they have alluded to QAnon followers genuinely believing the 'Lizard-Man' conspiracy.

Now...I have no love for our Lizard Overlords, but for me the very premise of this as some sort of genuine belief is a complete non-starter.

Some people consider the Lizard-Man conspiracy as factual....whereas I use it as a punchline. Literally:

"If you genuinely believe this you are a crazy person and I have a nice padded room and a jacket that your hands dont come out of for you."

And if their only recourse to that is:

"Thats what the the Lizard-Men want you to think."

Then I dont know what to tell you friends. Its a sad state of affairs. And yet here we are.

I mean...look at the clowns who stormed the Capitol.

"Trump duped us! He fooled us! Now we're going to believe in the Lizard-Man conspiracy and, ironically, even crazier things!!"

Maybe the Pandemic was meant for these people? We should perhaps consider biased vaccinations? If they check 'QAnon' on their info sheet they should be given a placebo?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2021, 05:48 PM   #53
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also....

The Mantra of "Dont take my word for it, do your own research! Make up your own mind!! Dont be sheeple!"

Is deeply, deeply flawed.

Not all 'research' is equal. If your initial research has brought you to this point in the first place, then I think your biases and techniques really need to be brought into question.

And frankly...I'd hesitate to say that an individual such as this would be qualified to not only 'do their own research' but perhaps shouldnt be given the liberty to actually make up their own minds or decide anything for themselves more complex than what they're going to have for breakfast.

Even then...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 02-06-2021, 08:34 AM   #54
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think this applies to Qanon

"Sufficiently advanced trolling is indistinguishable from thought leadership"- Cliff Moon
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 10:49 AM   #55
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I'd never seen that thread, wild ride. Thanks for sharing

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
flamesfan1297 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 11:04 AM   #56
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://old.reddit.com/r/ParlerWatch/top/
Bonded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 05:22 PM   #57
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okay....I'm doing it because it must be done.

I am dubbing QAnon believers as 'Quggalos.'

Much like Juggalos, but, hard as it may seem to believe, orders of magnitude dumber.

Old 02-06-2021, 05:26 PM   #58
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Also....

The Mantra of "Dont take my word for it, do your own research! Make up your own mind!! Dont be sheeple!"

Is deeply, deeply flawed.

Not all 'research' is equal. If your initial research has brought you to this point in the first place, then I think your biases and techniques really need to be brought into question.

And frankly...I'd hesitate to say that an individual such as this would be qualified to not only 'do their own research' but perhaps shouldnt be given the liberty to actually make up their own minds or decide anything for themselves more complex than what they're going to have for breakfast.

Even then...
This is part of the brain washing through. If you lead people to get their own conclusions and accept them to be true even if they are a variant of your conclusion you empower them vs trying to hammer them with fact
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 05:40 PM   #59
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
This is part of the brain washing through. If you lead people to get their own conclusions and accept them to be true even if they are a variant of your conclusion you empower them vs trying to hammer them with fact
Oh I understand that, and it makes perfect sense to an outside observer.

Except for the part where you'd have to be an absolute idiot to believe any this crap.

This is like 'Flat-Earther' "Only I know the truth and the rest of the world are sheeple who dont get it" nonsense.

The part that doesnt make perfect sense is the part where: "This shouldnt work."

I mean...if you're considering semi-rational, relatively-intelligent and thoughtful....lets call them 'organisms.' Because 'People' is a bit of a stretch at this juncture.

Not the part where one might wonder if Hillary's emails contained evidence that she is, in fact, an Evil, Magic Space Lizard Man.

At that point a fairly hefty leap in logic is made and when confronted RE: that leap, and the information expected to fill the resulting Gap...I tend to find the explanations somewhat lacklustre and unconvincing.

But hey, I know where this is going. I am vehemently opposed to this nonsense because, frankly, it ranks among my "Top 10 Dumbest #### I've Ever Heard" List.

And as such, I must be a co-conspirator of the Evil Alien Lizards from Outer-Space. Because thats really the only half-assed acceptable avenue left available to these people to discount anything even remotely resembling reason.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 02-06-2021, 06:05 PM   #60
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Okay....I'm doing it because it must be done.

I am dubbing QAnon believers as 'Quggalos.'

Much like Juggalos, but, hard as it may seem to believe, orders of magnitude dumber.
How is this pronounced? Kwuggalos?