Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2021, 02:15 PM   #121
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Deal makes sense for Florida
Would not have made sense for Calgary.

And I have NO appetite to relive the stress of a lotto pick not owned. That was NOT fun.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2021, 08:50 PM   #122
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I am not going to lie that Florida roster is not overly impressive. That blueline looks worse than the Flames to be honest. They have a better top D and top C for sure but I am not anointing that team yet. They play in the toughest division in hockey and haven’t strung together 2 impressive seasons back to back in their history (could be wrong but can’t think of it?) Forwards look better if Bennett can play like he did after the trade consistently. He honestly doesn’t even need to be that good but prove he can be a top 6 C. I think he can but it still needs to be proven

I am not saying I want the Flames to the deal because I don’t think they can afford the futures but I could see it having a similar good looking result. Reinhart completes the top 6 and has it looking as impressive as it has since Treliving took over.

One of the Flames biggest needs is a top 6 right shot. Reinhart was one of the best options on the market and it appears he could of been had for a protected pick and prospect. Still likely something the Flames would have a hard time affording. Oilers should of made this deal
Ekblad > Tanev (though a repeat of peak Tanev last year would be close)
Weegar > Hanifin (probably...Weegar's a bit of a wildcard)
Forlsing ~ Andersson (tbd on both sides)
Nutivaara ?? Valimaki
Gudas >= Stone
Stralman > Mackey/Kylington

Markstrom probably has the highest ceiling of the three, but injury prone. I wouldn't want to pay $11M for it, but I'd take Bob+Knight over Markstrom+tbd.

Not much argument on forwards. If you count them down, our 3rd best is better than their 3rd best, but pretty much every other slot they are equal/greater than CGY.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 09:01 PM   #123
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bullet dodged.

Makes sense for Florida, as they probably feel that they are a piece like Reinhart away from being a contender .

The Flames, however, need to get faster and harder to play against. Reinhart is the furthest thing from that. Also, as said, our 1st is likely more valuable than FLA's. Also, we already have Johnny and Chucky needing new contracts for next year, adding Reinhart to that list puts us in a really tough spot.

He simply isn't the hero we need right now.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2021, 11:02 PM   #124
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I second that - I feel Reinhart is not the right piece for this team. He isn't a fast player, and he isn't physical at all. I was hoping he would be the player available to the Flames that year, as I really liked him at the draft. He just hasn't shown himself to be a high-end player.

However, I think he did really well this past season. I am curious to see if this was just blip, or if he legitimately took a big step forward. I am curious to see if it was Buffalo holding him down.

Reinhart - aside from his RHS - doesn't really fill a hole on the Flames, and gives the Flames more of what they have already (average to below average speed, lack of physicality). For free and a decent contract? I would welcome him all day on the Flames. For a 1st and a Wolf? No thanks. I would rather have Coronato who I think will be a much more dynamic player down the road.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 11:36 PM   #125
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Nutivaara ?? Valimaki
Gudas >= Stone

Markstrom probably has the highest ceiling of the three, but injury prone. I wouldn't want to pay $11M for it, but I'd take Bob+Knight over Markstrom+tbd.

Not much argument on forwards. If you count them down, our 3rd best is better than their 3rd best, but pretty much every other slot they are equal/greater than CGY.
Lol @ the goalies...come on man

Markstrom is awesome and Bob is a top 3 worst contract in the league
Old 07-25-2021, 05:43 AM   #126
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Nutivaara ?? Valimaki
Gudas >= Stone

Just needed to chime in on the defense comparison.

Ekblad >>>>>> Tanev, and I'm a big Tanev fan. Tanev is a bit better defensively, but Ekblad is a MUCH better offensive player, especially when it comes to scoring goals.
Weegar < Hanifin. I say this because I think Hanifin is now a top pairing defenseman and has more room to grow. Weegar is 27 and only broke through last year, and I need to see another strong season before I declare him a top pairing defender.
Forsling >? Andersson. I think Rasmus may never be more than what we see now, which is a solid, but unspectacular, middle pairing defenseman who can do a little on both ends of the ice, but probably won't be a huge difference maker. Forsling has very high IQ and makes excellent zone exits and entries. I just think his skill set makes him a more impactful player overall, but it's not clear if last season is the norm for him, so that's why I put the question mark.
Stralman > Valimaki. For now. I expect Valimaki to grow into a top 4 defenseman and Stralman is getting by on his smarts and experience at this point in his career since most of his physical gifts are diminishing. Talk to me next year and Valimaki is probably way ahead of Stralman.
Gudas > Stone. Only because Gudas has been an NHL regular for the past few years where Stone has not, and also because Gudas is incredibly effective and intimidating in front of the net and in the corners. They're a wash otherwise.
Nutivaara <<< Kylington/Mackey. I don't think much of Nutivaara, but both Kylington and Mackey have untapped potential at the NHL level. I wouldn't be surprised to see either one of them cements a permanent spot in the top 6 this year.

The real difference is losing Giordano. If he's still on the Flames this ranking becomes much different and probably favors Calgary overall. Without that clear #1 d-man on both offense and defense, the Flames group looks a little weak.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2021, 05:51 AM   #127
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Lol @ the goalies...come on man

Markstrom is awesome and Bob is a top 3 worst contract in the league

Bobo’s contract is not relevant in determining the better goalie.

But Markstrom is better anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2021, 08:50 AM   #128
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Deal makes sense for Florida
Would not have made sense for Calgary.

And I have NO appetite to relive the stress of a lotto pick not owned. That was NOT fun.
The pick was lotto protected. I would have been OK with this, maybe because I’m so tired of this same forward group.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 09:03 AM   #129
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
The pick was lotto protected. I would have been OK with this, maybe because I’m so tired of this same forward group.
Lotto protected for one year
All it does is kick the problem forward one year at which point the team could even be worse
Old 07-25-2021, 09:15 AM   #130
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
All it does is kick the problem forward one year at which point the team could even be worse
Yup, feels like 2023 could end up worse if Tkachuk actually wants to leave.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 09:16 AM   #131
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If it took our 1st to land Reinhart I'm very glad we stayed cleared. He's a decent player, but is not what the Flames need now or in the future. Doesn't seem like a Sutter player AND the Flames lose an asset (top 10 pick) that could be a major part of the team for the next decade. Big no thanks.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 09:18 AM   #132
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
True. But if you’re that bad two years in a row, hopefully you’re shedding assets for picks by then.

That deal seems like good value for Reinhart IMO.
Old 07-25-2021, 09:34 AM   #133
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
True. But if you’re that bad two years in a row, hopefully you’re shedding assets for picks by then.

That deal seems like good value for Reinhart IMO.
I agree it was good value
But not for the Flames
Not for where they are.
Old 07-25-2021, 09:37 AM   #134
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Deal makes sense for Florida... depending on the contract that Reinhart negotiates and is willing to sign. This could be a great deal, or it could be a bad deal. The dollar values and the ripple effect on the Panthers' salary structure will determine that IMO.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 11:36 AM   #135
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I agree it was good value
But not for the Flames
Not for where they are.
Reinhart not a rental through, presumably. Wouldn’t he always be worth a first plus? That’s kind of how I look at it.

Plus for Calgary makes it easier to move another forward for picks.
Old 07-25-2021, 11:42 AM   #136
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Florida outside of a crazy collapse will not have a lotto pick.

Calgary could be a lotto team the next two years if they don't bounce back and Markstrom sucks. Also, Reinhart, Tkachuk, and Monahan in top six would be super slow
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 11:45 AM   #137
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess another way to look at it is that Calgary first is more valuable than Florida’s. Could that be worth something in the deal? Another year of lottery protection? A pick?

Also Wolf vs. Levi subjective too.
Old 07-25-2021, 11:57 AM   #138
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Florida outside of a crazy collapse will not have a lotto pick.

Calgary could be a lotto team the next two years if they don't bounce back and Markstrom sucks. Also, Reinhart, Tkachuk, and Monahan in top six would be super slow
that would be the slowest top 6 in the NHL
Old 07-25-2021, 11:59 AM   #139
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Reinhart not a rental through, presumably. Wouldn’t he always be worth a first plus? That’s kind of how I look at it.

Presumably, yes. But that would mean they need to sign Gaudreau, Tkachuk and Reinhart next year. Probably not happening. So getting Reinhart means moving on from one of Gaudreau or Tkachuk - big downgrade in talent, if so

As for moving another top 6 for picks to recoup the first, that would mean effectively trading Reinhart for that person. Who in our top 6 would you trade for Reinhart?
Old 07-25-2021, 12:11 PM   #140
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

He'd be worth a first if you think he materially changes the chances of this group winning. I don't see it that way. I see him as a largely complimentary top 6 forward who can help a team that is closer than the Flames are.

I wonder if the Flames are hanging on to whatever little capital they have - until the Eichel scenario plays out. You include a 1st to get Reinhart are you likely are giving up on Eichel altogether.

Either way, with the risk of the pick being top 10 or top 15 - I wouldn't touch it for a player if Reinhart's quality and impact.