Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2014, 05:00 PM   #61
Jer Bu
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
flip the percentages and draw all 14 lottery picks in the lottery, not just 1st overall. The 14th overall team has 25 percent for the 14th pick, then continue with 13th overall and so on ... re-do the percentages after every pick and draw until there's only 1 team left. Would actually make the lottery show way more interesting and would eliminate some of the tanking. Then include a rule that you can't pick in the top 3 three times in a row and be done with it.
I like this concept, in theory, and it would make the draft lottery a VERY exciting event.
- You start by drawing the 14th pick, with the best odds going to the 14th ranked team, and the worst to the last place team. But not like 50% chance the 14th team gets it, more like 25%, and 1% for the last place team.

Then assume the 11th place team, with a 11% chance in this case, got the pick. Their "balls" are removed, and everyones chances change. It would go something like this:

Draw for the 14th pick:
Team balls % CHANCE
14 25 25%
13 17 17%
12 13 13%
11 11 11%
10 9 9%
9 7 7%
8 5 5%
7 3 3%
6 3 3%
5 3 3%
4 1 1%
3 1 1%
2 1 1%
1 1 1%
100 100%
now assume the 11th place team was picked, the next round would look like this:

Team balls % CHANCE
14 25 28%
13 17 19%
12 13 15%
10 9 10%
9 7 8%
8 5 6%
7 3 3%
6 3 3%
5 3 3%
4 1 1%
3 1 1%
2 1 1%
1 1 1%
89 100%
Now assume the 14th place team was picked, the next round would be:

Team balls % CHANCE
13 17 27%
12 13 20%
10 9 14%
9 7 11%
8 5 8%
7 3 5%
6 3 5%
5 3 5%
4 1 2%
3 1 2%
2 1 2%
1 1 2%
64 100%

And so on and so on. Once you got to the final 4 picks, it could look something like this

Team balls % CHANCE
7 3 50%
3 1 17%
2 1 17%
1 1 17%
6 100%

and once you got to the final two, if the 7th last place team continued their lucky streak, the final odds would look like this:

Team balls % CHANCE
7 3 75%
1 1 25%
4 100%

Of course we wouldnt draw the second to last pick, we would skip to the winner. So on the final pick here, that last place team would have a 75% chance of getting the best pick.

I like this as much for the excitement factor as I do for opening up the board a lot more for those best picks. The initial ball count would determine the actual odds. I went with the final 4 teams having the same odds in this example.

Bu
Jer Bu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 06:23 PM   #62
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do like that idea a lot, but I do also like the concept of the final games of the regular season still meaning something.

As well, instead of changing the balls out each time (this is a total worthless aside, but an idea I had none-the-less), just use RFID. Each team has a RFID identifier, and the tunnel the balls are collected on has a 'wastegate' so to speak. When an already selected team's ball comes down the tunnel, it's extracted immediately.

Would make it less of an annoying TSN event and let us get through all 14 teams in less than 5 hours.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2014, 08:47 PM   #63
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Penguins tanked for Lemieux, that's been admitted by people who worked with the organization at the time. Lots of people think the Senators tanked for Daigle (lol, that worked out well), and after that one the league finally came up with a draft lottery.

Maybe it doesn't happen very often, but there's no way it's never happened.
Mario Lemieux was drafted thirty years ago. Daigle was when, 91? 92? Outright tanking has happened twice in the past three decades, it's not an actual risk.

These teams are perennial bottom feeders due to sheer organizational incompetence. Nothing more, nothing less.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:43 PM   #64
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Mario Lemieux was drafted thirty years ago. Daigle was when, 91? 92? Outright tanking has happened twice in the past three decades, it's not an actual risk.

These teams are perennial bottom feeders due to sheer organizational incompetence. Nothing more, nothing less.
Just my 2c but I don't think so anymore. The oilers clearly tanked on purpose, and started a trend. Now teams are not content to take the consolation prize of a high draft pick, but chase it as a strategy. And are applauded for it. It's perceived as the smart way to make a team in the media and by many fans.

Last year 3 of the bottoms 5 teams managed their way to a high pick, not fell there by accident. 4 if you count the oilers who threw in the towel before Christmas.

This year I bet it will be 5. I think the flames, sabres, and sens are all eyeing the 2015 draft as their main goal for the season. The jets and canes have towel in hand waiting to throw it in, and there will be others who say fata it by December.
Bend it like Bourgeois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:16 PM   #65
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Love how you have such a definitive stance yet provide no actual real solid proof.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:21 AM   #66
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
Love how you have such a definitive stance yet provide no actual real solid proof.
For one,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bend it like Bourgeois View Post
Just my 2c
shows that the following words he is about to type are his opinion and not proven facts.

Secondly, how can there be solid proof of something that no one will admit to? Do we need someone from the Oilers to release a statement that they love tanking, want to build their team on tanking, and will tank in the future for you to validate an opinion contrary to yours? Or is the empirical evidence that has been stated over and over and over on CP of 'there is only one reason Edmonton can suck this much' and the parties they throw for draft picks and the excitement ownership demonstrates when they have a losers pick not enough to justify the opinion that Edmonton tanks?
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 01:13 PM   #67
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post

The 2012-13 Avs must have been caught in a time warp.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 04:52 PM   #68
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Avs are a perfect example of why the whole tanking issue is a load of crap. You people really believe the Avs purposely sat O'Reilly because they thought that would make them the worst team in the league? It couldn't have been a contract dispute could it? Like we saw again this off season. Then when he did sign they probably told him to coast for the rest of the season. Oh wait it was the coach. They knew if they kept their Jack Adams finalist coach and former AHL coach they would finish 29th and win the lottery. Loyalty maybe? Nah. Wow these guys are good. I mean it's not like they were waiting for a guy named Patrick Roy. Remember they tried to hire him once before and actually did last year. But hey why not hire another coach for 30 games so people don't figure out our grand scheme. Off season plan executed perfectly.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:02 AM   #69
saXon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
Avs are a perfect example of why the whole tanking issue is a load of crap. You people really believe the Avs purposely sat O'Reilly because they thought that would make them the worst team in the league? It couldn't have been a contract dispute could it? Like we saw again this off season. Then when he did sign they probably told him to coast for the rest of the season. Oh wait it was the coach. They knew if they kept their Jack Adams finalist coach and former AHL coach they would finish 29th and win the lottery. Loyalty maybe? Nah. Wow these guys are good. I mean it's not like they were waiting for a guy named Patrick Roy. Remember they tried to hire him once before and actually did last year. But hey why not hire another coach for 30 games so people don't figure out our grand scheme. Off season plan executed perfectly.
I still don't buy it. A 1st overall stud, and a new Jr. hockey head coach comes in and somehow these magic beans instantly turn into a gigantic beanstalk to take this team from ground zero to the top of the standings overnight.

Offseason plan executed perfectly my ass. Previous season executed perfectly is more like it.

saXon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 12:27 PM   #70
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Well if you have any actual evidence beyond some conspiracy theory you dreamt up I'm all ears.

Tags
connor mcdavid , nhl draft , nhl draft lottery , nhl draft system