Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2012, 10:02 PM   #41
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Not perposterous per se, just I guess declining in quality. For me It got too far away for what to me was what made season 1 so great: The mafia stuff. I get that David Chase was doing some more experimental stuff (the dream episode for instance), but the actual mafia story wasn't as interesting. Also, AJ got worse as he got older, and he got more screen time. Ugh he got really annoying by the end.
I hear what you're saying about AJ, he was annoying, but it's those stories with his at home familty that makes the character of Tony the most interesting character in tv history(IMO of course)

But I'm not on board with your stance on the lack of mafia story.

There was pretty much an all our war going on in the final season between Phil vs Tony. It was being built up all season until it reached an awesome conclusion in the final episode. Phil's hit makes me laugh every time. There was plenty of mafia story in that final season to keep me happy.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:09 PM   #42
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
It makes me absolutely sick that this (#34) was the first post to mention Deadwood.

C###suckers....
I like westerns, I like Timoth Olyphant, and I like Ian McShane, but for some reason I could not finish that show. I watched the first and second seasons, but for some reason it didn't draw me in like other HBO shows have. Maybe it's because I find Molly Parker to be a truly horrible actress, and she was too much of a key character in the show.

The same goes for Six Feet Under, it just didn't really draw me in. I watched the first couple seasons, but gave up eventually.

Also I for one think season five of The Sopranos was the best, and where it hit its peak. Season 6 Part A was the worst run for the show since
Spoiler!

Last edited by trackercowe; 05-29-2012 at 10:14 PM.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:21 PM   #43
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
Also I for one think season five of The Sopranos was the best, and where it hit its peak. Season 6 Part A was the worst run for the show since
Spoiler!
I liked the Vito storyline, it just went on too long. Too many scenes with Johnny Cakes.

I did enjoy the guys reaction to finding out.

Here's the scene........Paulie owns!!

NSFW....language

Old 05-29-2012, 10:22 PM   #44
kipperfan
Franchise Player

Exp:

A few that haven't been mentioned much (or at all): Shameless (great show, never thought William H. Macy could pull off this kind of role but he is brilliant), The Borgias (addicting show, one of my favourites for sure), Boss (new Kelsey Grammar drama series, very good) and The Tudors (no longer on the air but was a great show on Showtime I think? Based on the reign of King Henry VIII in England).

Fyodor Dostoevsky - The Brothers Karamazov
kipperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:24 PM   #45
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipperfan View Post
A few that haven't been mentioned much (or at all): Shameless (great show, never thought William H. Macy could pull off this kind of role but he is brilliant), The Borgias (addicting show, one of my favourites for sure), Boss (new Kelsey Grammar drama series, very good) and The Tudors (no longer on the air but was a great show on Showtime I think? Based on the reign of King Henry VIII in England).
And a naked Emmy Rossum!!!
Old 05-29-2012, 10:31 PM   #46
kipperfan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANFLAMESFAN View Post
And a naked Emmy Rossum!!!
Yeah, that is a definite perk!

Fyodor Dostoevsky - The Brothers Karamazov
kipperfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:36 PM   #47
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Current shows that kick ass

In this order

Breaking Bad
Mad Men
The Walking Dead
Homeland
Shameless.....the best show no one talks about
Boardwalk Empire
Treme
Game of Thrones
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Sons of Anarchy.....didn't love it at first, but loved Season 4. So intense.
Girls....shocked by how much I enjoy this fresh comedy

Current shows that are good, but not great

Nurse Jackie
Veep
Spartacus.....blood and tits....can't go wrong. Ultimate guilty pleasure show
Caiifornication
House of Lies
Justified....really popular, but I don't love it.....its okay, but not great.
Hell on Wheels
Dexter.....used to be a must watch, but has jumped the shark in S5 and S6

Current shows that I'm watching but not sure if I'm into it yet

Magic City
Boss

Shows that have finished that are good to watch from the beginning.

The Wire....best show.....period
The Sopranos.....changed TV
The Shield
Six Feet Under
Entourage
Deadwood

Yes, I'm a ridiculous cable snob.
Girls would be such an awesome show if the lead girl wasn't so ugly. She is so ugly that it makes it impossible to watch because there is no way in hell she would so many guys.

Same with Scott Pilgrim. Can't watch that crap movie after 20 minutes. AS IF that lead nerd guy can get ANY of those chicks. terrible.
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:15 PM   #48
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Soooo many suggestions. You should probably read up on some of these. Many of them just may not be your thing. For example I've never gotten into breaking bad because the opening premise is so astronomically moronic that no matter how good it has got, I just have no interest in it (despite the fact I've seen some recent episodes and enjoyed them). You won't have time to watch all the suggestions. Also you didn't specify any parameters. For example do you watch the Simpsons? Seinfeld? Some classics right there. Looking for comedy? Drama? Only full series? Lots of these are ongoing and won't do you much good to get a few seasons in and not be able to watch the rest or leave you missing new episodes.

If we're talking tv dramas my top 5 is:

Sopranos
Dexter
Rome
Wire
Six feet under

Although I'm only a few episodes into the wire it's that good. Mad Men, Spartacus, game of thrones and the Borgias also kick ass.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 05-29-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:41 PM   #49
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertuzzied View Post
Girls would be such an awesome show if the lead girl wasn't so ugly. She is so ugly that it makes it impossible to watch because there is no way in hell she would so many guys.

e.
Get so many guys? She's hooked up with two and we've seen an ex boyfriend. And the one dude is such a mess and so is she, they're almost perfect for each other.

I think her unconventional looks, low self esteem And quirky attitude are what makes her interesting. If she's a hottie or "normal", this is just another Sex and the City.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:45 PM   #50
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Best comedy on TV since Seinfeld
The League is also hilarious. And Portlandia.

I'm a big fan of Community as well, among shows that haven't been mentioned yet.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:03 AM   #51
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

It hasn't been mentioned yet but Burn Notice.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 07:27 AM   #52
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I hear what you're saying about AJ, he was annoying, but it's those stories with his at home familty that makes the character of Tony the most interesting character in tv history(IMO of course)

But I'm not on board with your stance on the lack of mafia story.

There was pretty much an all our war going on in the final season between Phil vs Tony. It was being built up all season until it reached an awesome conclusion in the final episode. Phil's hit makes me laugh every time. There was plenty of mafia story in that final season to keep me happy.
I wouldn't say there was a lack of a mafia story, it was there all right. It just wasn't the focus or even secondary focus by seasons 4-6, by that point it was about Tony first and foremost, the mob stuff was essentially there but not as important to the overall plot. The show to me fell victim to what eventually hurts many great shows and thats too much melodrama, which to me is what makes the Wire the best ever is that it didn't fall victim to melodrama.

Also haven't seen Twin Peaks mentioned either. Might only be 2 seasons but the first season and a half are simply incredible stuff. Obviously being a fan of David Lynch would help anyones enjoyment of Twin Peaks, but I think even non-Lynch fans can enjoy the show.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:45 AM   #53
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Lesser known comedies off the top of my head

The Increasingly poor decisions of Todd Margaret. David Cross at his awkward lying best.
Flight of the Concords- New Zealand comedy with some music.
The IT crowd- Great English comedy.
The Extras- Another fantastic English comedy with Ricky Gervais
Kath and Kim- Australian comedy, they tried to do a North American version but it was awful, the original is great.
Archer-Perhaps the greatest spy cartoon ever made.
Bored to Death-Intelligent/stoner comedy.

Started Portlandia, thought it was pretty good, Children's hospital is funny as well, and only 10 minute episodes.

Last edited by aaronck; 05-30-2012 at 09:48 AM.
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:32 AM   #54
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
I like westerns, I like Timoth Olyphant, and I like Ian McShane, but for some reason I could not finish that show. I watched the first and second seasons, but for some reason it didn't draw me in like other HBO shows have. Maybe it's because I find Molly Parker to be a truly horrible actress, and she was too much of a key character in the show.

The same goes for Six Feet Under, it just didn't really draw me in. I watched the first couple seasons, but gave up eventually.

Spoiler!
Fair enough, I suppose. Different strokes...for me, it was the most engaging television show I have ever watched. Al Swearengen was one of the best characters I have ever seen on TV, and I didn't really find any plot or sub-plot in the show to be uninteresting. The closest it came may have been the Bullock-Alma Garret love interest...but then it spawned an epic fight between Swearengen and Bullock.

I've just gotten into Six Feet Under, and so far I really enjoy the dialogue (one of the things that made Deadwood so superior, IMO).

I agree with the Sopranos having peaked after the conclusion of Season 5. I'm sure it suffered by waiting a year to complete the series, but the first half of Season 6 was pretty tough to watch. Granted, they sure as hell made up for it in the second half...so many "stick with you" moments:

Spoiler!

For me, The Wire just never reached out and engrossed me like some people have hyped it up to be. Maybe that was the problem (over-hyped), but after 8 episodes I just had no motivation to continue. I didn't care about any of the characters, and the outstanding premise was bogged down by the snails pace of the story. I might give it another chance in the future, but it's at the bottom of my list right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Many of them just may not be your thing. For example I've never gotten into breaking bad because the opening premise is so astronomically moronic that no matter how good it has got, I just have no interest in it (despite the fact I've seen some recent episodes and enjoyed them).
The whole "man has terminal cancer and decides to sell meth to leave his family with something after he's gone"? I'll admit it seems a little outlandish at first. However, as you watch the series you come to understand that Walter White is a man who will, quite literally, do absolutely anything for his family. It makes the premise more acceptable, and you really get involved in the transformation of all of the characters (especially Walt, Jesse, and Hank).

Then again, as you say, it just might not be your thing.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:41 AM   #55
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
For me, The Wire just never reached out and engrossed me like some people have hyped it up to be. Maybe that was the problem (over-hyped), but after 8 episodes I just had no motivation to continue. I didn't care about any of the characters, and the outstanding premise was bogged down by the snails pace of the story. I might give it another chance in the future, but it's at the bottom of my list right now.
This is actually a fairly common reason why people stop watching the Wire. The thing about the Wire is it doesn't treat its audience as stupid or that they need their hands held and every detail told to them or pointing out. You really have to pay attention, and for every scene you find meaningless or irrelavent, odds are that scene will matter later on in the series. The term most often used to describe the Wire is "visual novel", which I think is perfect. Each season is like a book, several episodes may seem plodding or pointless, but their goal is to advance the story. Generally speaking the last 3 or 4 episodes of any season contain much more action than the earlier episodes, but its those earlier episodes that set up the important moments.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:44 AM   #56
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:

The whole "man has terminal cancer and decides to sell meth to leave his family with something after he's gone"? I'll admit it seems a little outlandish at first. However, as you watch the series you come to understand that Walter White is a man who will, quite literally, do absolutely anything for his family. It makes the premise more acceptable, and you really get involved in the transformation of all of the characters (especially Walt, Jesse, and Hank).

Then again, as you say, it just might not be your thing.

nm

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 05-30-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:15 AM   #57
normtwofinger
Self-Retirement

Exp:

nm

Last edited by normtwofinger; 05-30-2012 at 12:54 PM.
normtwofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:18 AM   #58
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Haven't read the whole thread so not sure if any of these have been mentioned but I have recently watched and enjoyed:

Motorcycle Travel Docs:
- Long Way Round
- Long Way Down
- Race to Dakar

Travel Docs:
Charley Boorman: Ireland to Sydney by Any Means
Charley Boorman: Sydney to Tokyo by Any Means
An Idiot Abroad
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:20 AM   #59
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

nevermind then.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 05-30-2012 at 12:52 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:45 AM   #60
normtwofinger
Self-Retirement

Exp:

An Idiot Abroad is a good show if you like travel shows and British humor. I could relate to Karl having traveled and seen and experienced weird things.

Last edited by normtwofinger; 05-30-2012 at 12:53 PM.
normtwofinger is offline   Reply With Quote