Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2012, 11:55 PM   #81
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^^One of my hidden talents that I'm not very proud of is my Friends trivia. I dominate like the Kings are in these playoffs whenever the Friends "Scene It" game is brought out.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 12:35 AM   #82
Flame Of Liberty
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flizzenflozz View Post
The Inbetweeners must be mentioned. Also, Summer Heights High. Mr. G is one of the best characters of all time.
+1

The movie is pretty good too.

The Killing is a good show (watching season 1)
Flame Of Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:19 AM   #83
Gary83
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just finished watching The Shield, thought it was a great show. Tried to start watching The Wire with the wife and I actually fell asleep halfway through the episode, definitely didn't grab my interest in the first episode. I know alot of people rave about it, does it get better?
Gary83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:19 AM   #84
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Wire is almost universally recognized by critics as the best TV show ever because its not like other shows that focus on week to week or on a character or two. The Wire is truly like a novel; indeed 70% of the "action" in each season generally takes place in the last 3 or 4 episodes of a season, but that other 30% is just as critical in the other episodes. The catch phrase best used for the show is "All the pieces matter". You may find a scene irrelavent or pointless, but later on that scene will likely have much greater value.

It also is a much more deep and philosophical show than it appears. On the surface its a cop show about busting drug dealers, but beneath the surface its a deep social commentary about the institutional dysfunction that has led to the demise of the American city. Its also is obviously about how the War on Drugs is a failure. Honestly the first time watching the series through I liked it a lot but its when you watch the show through the third and fourth times that you appreaciate the depth and quality of the show.

Just stick with it would be all I can say. Its almost impossible to "get" everything thats going on about the show, but thats because the Wire doesn't want to help people understand whats going on, you have to put the pieces together yourself. And the show has by far the greatest collection of characters ever assembled on a TV show. If they did just a McNulty and Bunk spinoff that might be the greatest show ever too.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:02 PM   #85
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
For anyone interested in Breaking Bad, AMC will start re-airing the entire series starting this Sunday night leading right up to this season 5 premiere in July.

They'll start airing late night, looks to be around midnight-1am most nights
Not sure if it has been mentioned in the thread yet, but the first 3 seasons are also available on Netflix.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:29 PM   #86
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary83 View Post
Just finished watching The Shield, thought it was a great show. Tried to start watching The Wire with the wife and I actually fell asleep halfway through the episode, definitely didn't grab my interest in the first episode. I know alot of people rave about it, does it get better?
Loved both the Shield and The Wire, but they are different shows. The comparisons begin and end at there being cops in the show.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:56 PM   #87
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANFLAMESFAN View Post
^^^^One of my hidden talents that I'm not very proud of is my Friends trivia. I dominate like the Kings are in these playoffs whenever the Friends "Scene It" game is brought out.

My wife would destroy you.

Does anyone know where I can find the Fleury documentry online?
Hockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:07 AM   #88
fatso
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone watch Workaholics? First two seasons are out now (third is currently airing). Kind of a stoner 'Curb Your Enthusiasm'. Really funny.

The great CP is in dire need of prunes!
"That's because the productive part of society is adverse to giving up all their wealth so you libs can conduct your social experiments. Experience tells us your a bunch of snake oil salesman...Sucks to be you.
" ~Calgaryborn 12/06/09 keeping it really stupid!
fatso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:28 AM   #89
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Watched the first two eps of Workaholics season 1. Does it get any better?

I realize some shows start a little weak and then gain steam, but I thought it was pretty awful after being recommended to me.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:57 PM   #90
Eastern Girl
Crushed

Exp:

Just watched the first season of Scandal. I thought it started out as a pretty generic show, there was not really anything that made it stand out, but the last couple episodes were rather strong. I don't know if it was renewed, but if it was, I'd give it another viewing.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:04 PM   #91
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey View Post
My wife would destroy you.

Does anyone know where I can find the Fleury documentry online?
That's what everyone says, but then they actually play the game and I destroy them. It's not even close.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:42 PM   #92
drew24
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Comedy Bang Bang premieres tonight on ifc. Does anyone know where to find it in Canada legally? I don't see it on Canadian ifc or iTunes.
drew24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:47 PM   #93
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANFLAMESFAN View Post
That's what everyone says, but then they actually play the game and I destroy them. It's not even close.

Not that it will ever happen, but I would wear a Flames jersey and hat around here everyday for a month if my wife doesnt beat you at Friends trivia.
Hockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:47 PM   #94
fatso
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
Watched the first two eps of Workaholics season 1. Does it get any better?

I realize some shows start a little weak and then gain steam, but I thought it was pretty awful after being recommended to me.
I'm biased because I'm a fan, but I'd say it definitely gets better. The second season had very strong writing, particularly if you're into narrative or plot. That said, the comedy isn't for everyone. I'd urge you to continue if you like shows like Curb, Eastbound and Down, Todd Phillips movies, etc.

The great CP is in dire need of prunes!
"That's because the productive part of society is adverse to giving up all their wealth so you libs can conduct your social experiments. Experience tells us your a bunch of snake oil salesman...Sucks to be you.
" ~Calgaryborn 12/06/09 keeping it really stupid!
fatso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:02 PM   #95
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew24 View Post
Comedy Bang Bang premieres tonight on ifc. Does anyone know where to find it in Canada legally? I don't see it on Canadian ifc or iTunes.
Don't think it is available to us. The second episode is available free on IFCs website though.

If it's not on iTunes tomorrow, I'll just "find" it. Hot Saucerman won't mind.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:23 PM   #96
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

IFC Renews 'Portlandia' for Two More Seasons

http://splitsider.com/2013/06/ifc-re...-more-seasons/
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:47 PM   #97
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatso View Post
I'm biased because I'm a fan, but I'd say it definitely gets better. The second season had very strong writing, particularly if you're into narrative or plot. That said, the comedy isn't for everyone. I'd urge you to continue if you like shows like Curb, Eastbound and Down, Todd Phillips movies, etc.
Seconding this.

Season 1 definitely gets better as well. The episode "Straight Up Juggahoes" is probably my favourite of the show, and is episode 7 I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote