Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-17-2006, 12:56 PM   #1
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Saturday Night Live.....

does anyone watch anymore? Made the mistake of tuning in on the weekend to see Pearl Jam. Wow, should have taped it and just watched the musical portion. Nothing even remotely funny. How does it stay on the air?
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 12:57 PM   #2
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

mods, please move this to the off topic forum, too much multi-tasking when I posted this...
Old 04-17-2006, 02:25 PM   #3
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I started watching SNL around 1986 when I was 12 years old. We used to tune in to watch Saturday Night's Main Event, yeah wrestling, and sometimes screwed up the date and had to watch SNL instead.

Have not watched wrestling since 1989 and SNL since 1999.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 05:13 PM   #4
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think NBC gives it a break in the down years because Lorne has a proven record of recovering and reinventing the cast. There have been a few down periods like this and they've come back strong in a couple of years.

The show hasn't been very funny since Will Ferrell left really.

I also think the loss of Phil Hartman was huge. He's the type of guy that could've carried the show in this kind of a transition period. I could see him still on the show if he were around. He was the perfect SNL cast member.
Displaced Flames fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 06:17 PM   #5
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Tiny Fey and Will Forte of Clone High fame, and Amy Poehler to a degree are the only people who can make me giggle.
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 06:53 PM   #6
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Actually, there have been a few really funny episodes this year, in amongst the now expected crap. The one Matt Dillon hosted was quite good IIRC. The Digital Shorts have been a nice addition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan
I think NBC gives it a break in the down years because Lorne has a proven record of recovering and reinventing the cast. There have been a few down periods like this and they've come back strong in a couple of years.
NBC gives it a break because you would never, ever find another show that could consistently draw that many viewers at 11:30 on Saturday nights.

Funny or not, it's a fixture that people keep coming back to.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 07:14 PM   #7
Kidder
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Steve Martin hosting episode a while back wasn't bad either.

Saturday Night Live needs to clear house and build around the young talent (sorta like the Leafs -- if they had young talent).

Mya Rudolph, Horatio Sans, Chris Parnell, Darell Hammond and Rachel Dratch need to go.

Build around Andy Samberg, Bill Hader, Finesse Mitchell and some other fresh young talent, bring in a few more new writers and go.

The Digitial shorts are an example of the direction the show needs to take. And no more cartoons by Robert Smigel! Those are never funny anymore.
Kidder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 09:32 AM   #8
Deelow
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only guy I like is Samberg, and that's only because of his raps. I enjoyed the natalie portman rap more than the Chronic Of Narnia. By the way how was Pearl Jam?
Old 04-18-2006, 09:40 AM   #9
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelow
The only guy I like is Samberg, and that's only because of his raps. I enjoyed the natalie portman rap more than the Chronic Of Narnia. By the way how was Pearl Jam?
Pearl Jam looked pretty solid. Played 2 new tunes, I liked 'em. Looking forward to the album release in early May.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:52 AM   #10
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

The show has always been hit and miss. Even in the 1970s there were a lot of unfunny skits along with the classic ones we remember. We only remember the funniest bits.

Of the current cast, I think Chris Parnell is the best. Amy Poehler is good, and Andy Samberg has promise.

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 01:14 PM   #11
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan
The show hasn't been very funny since Will Ferrell left really.
Quoted for truth.
Old 04-18-2006, 01:22 PM   #12
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

The best episodes are the ones where Walken hosts - I'd say most of the skits he is in are pretty damned funny.

Something about that guy, he really brings it when he is on SNL.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 03:34 PM   #13
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Christopher Walken can make anything watchable. Maybe even SNL. I would watch SNL if he hosts it again sometime.

"Pretzel Kiosk!"
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 02:16 AM   #14
Neeper
Official CP Photographer

Exp:

I just realized I haven't wacthed it for at least 6 months.
Neeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 08:48 AM   #15
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

People have been saying it was unfunny since the 80's. There is always a load of crap and a few classics, and the cast gets shaken up fairly regularly so you never know who will turn out to be good. And I think Tina Fey is hot.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:32 PM   #16
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

SNL's hottest recurring character is Stefon.

Stefon - "New York's hottest club is Push. this club has everything; ghosts, banjos, Carl Palideno, a stuck up kitten who won't sign autographs, furckles..."
Seth - "oooh, do i wanna know?"
Stefon - "yes, you do."
Seth - "so Furckles are.....?"
Stefon - "Fat urkles!"
Seth - "sure, sure they are..."
Stefon - "and after you've been with one of those guys you'll ask yourself 'did i do thaaaat?'"

Last edited by troutman; 02-23-2011 at 04:34 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2011, 04:45 PM   #17
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

I simply adore Kristen Wiig. She's a chameleon and although I could do without the Gilly sketches, I really like Penelope. I also think her impression of Kathie Lee Gifford is spot-on.

I make sure to PVR every new episode, but I won't lie, I find myself doing a lot of fast forwarding. The show churned out some great talent and I find that they are missing a step since Maya Rudolf, Tina Fey and Amy Poehler left (IMO).

The Weekend Update is funny sometimes, but Seth is always smiling and it's distracting. Not that I'm complaining...I like seeing his cute face. I like to search YouTube for old Weekend Updates and it's interesting to see how the feature has evolved throughout the years. Norm MacDonald put an interesting spin on things, while Jane Curtin is probably my favorite female anchor to do Weekend Update: "Jane, you sult!"

It's hit and miss these days. I think that has a lot to do with personal tastes. A lot of friends told me they loved Jim Carrey's Black Swan skit, while I hated it. On the other hand, I thought Dana Carvey's recent hosting gig was outstanding, and some friends commented on how weak that episode was.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:45 PM   #18
Montagna
Farm Team Player

Exp:

The scared straight skits make me laugh even though the formula is exactly the same for each one.
Montagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:50 PM   #19
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

troutman, you bumped a five year old thread. Really? Really?
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2011, 04:50 PM   #20
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
I simply adore Kristen Wiig. She's a chameleon and although I could do without the Gilly sketches, I really like Penelope. I also think her impression of Kathie Lee Gifford is spot-on.

I make sure to PVR every new episode, but I won't lie, I find myself doing a lot of fast forwarding. The show churned out some great talent and I find that they are missing a step since Maya Rudolf, Tina Fey and Amy Poehler left (IMO).

The Weekend Update is funny sometimes, but Seth is always smiling and it's distracting. Not that I'm complaining...I like seeing his cute face. I like to search YouTube for old Weekend Updates and it's interesting to see how the feature has evolved throughout the years. Norm MacDonald put an interesting spin on things, while Jane Curtin is probably my favorite female anchor to do Weekend Update: "Jane, you sult!"

It's hit and miss these days. I think that has a lot to do with personal tastes. A lot of friends told me they loved Jim Carrey's Black Swan skit, while I hated it. On the other hand, I thought Dana Carvey's recent hosting gig was outstanding, and some friends commented on how weak that episode was.
I don't know, Kristen Wig is talented, but I just feel like she's being crammed down our throats.

And the humor just isn't subtle anymore.

I grew up in the glory years of the shows first lets say 10 years, where you had brilliant skits like the Killer Bee's, the Samuri Short Order Cook, Its a wonderful life alternate ending.

Weekend updates with Dan Akroyd, and Dennis Miller and even Tina Fey were brilliant.

The show has really lost steam, I'd say its as bad or worse then the cast that should have worked but failed with Robert Downey Jr, Anthony Michael Hall etc.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote