Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 12-11-2018, 03:09 PM   #41
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouw N Arrow View Post
This is very possible
It's almost assuredly just formality at this point, especially when you look at the facts and timelines.

-NHL goes through embarrassing decade pulling out all the stops to save Coyotes in Arizona despite no fan support or competent ownership

-A stable NBA owner with a net worth of 4.7billion wants to bring a team to the 4th largest city in America, who also happens to have excellent AHL attendance

-NHL proceeds to start screaming like schoolgirls while doing backflips and fistpumps behind closed doors, immediately putting plans in place to facilitate said hopeful owner

- NHL wants Vegas and Seattle expansion deals complete and in motion before going public

- NHL strategically realigns divisions with addition of Seattle to include proper Houston placement so they don't have to realign three times for three new teams

- Seattle is officially announced, NHL starts leaking info to start easing the public into the move.

This is all but done, it will just be a matter of when Houston is ready to start.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 03:17 PM   #42
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incogneto View Post
Whats happening on Monday?

indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 03:18 PM   #43
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's no way bettman and company aren't clinking together wine glasses behind closed doors right now

i feel really bad for the people of glendale no never wanted hockey to begin with, now have this monstrosity of an arena that has sunk the city with millions in debt. nevermind the city covering the teams losses. remember those farcical city council meetings? what an embarrassment.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 03:20 PM   #44
flamesforcup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
There's no way bettman and company aren't clinking together wine glasses behind closed doors right now

i feel really bad for the people of glendale no never wanted hockey to begin with, now have this monstrosity of an arena that has sunk the city with millions in debt. nevermind the city covering the teams losses. remember those farcical city council meetings? what an embarrassment.
I forgot about that. This is why local governments need to stand up to sports teams and let em pay for themselves.
flamesforcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 03:27 PM   #45
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
I wonder if they could set up a paper transaction to give the Jets the Jets history?
I remember Dale Hawerchuk night in Glendale, it was a nice celebration for a guy who never played a single game in a Coyotes uniform.
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 03:34 PM   #46
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
I don't want the Coyotes to move. They're the least hatable team in the division (even though they're moving divisions).

The Phoenix area has a large population. I know it's been a long time, but still.

The Houston metro area is 2 million larger than Phoenix. Dallas and Houston are 4th and 5th biggest markets (after NY, LA and Chicago).
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 03:37 PM   #47
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
I don't get this take, and maybe it's just you not understanding other peoples opinions. No one is celebrating and hoping for the team to fail. The team has failed and is a mockery to the league. The people in Arizona dont give a flying F about hockey and the Coyotes, and it devalues the league and sport to keep the team there for this long. This has nothing to do with the dozens of loyal and hardcore Yotes fans that exist. For them I am of course sympathetic. But the history of the team and how they are bilking Glendale for money and the league for assistance is well documented.
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jordan! For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 03:38 PM   #48
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
It's almost assuredly just formality at this point, especially when you look at the facts and timelines.

-NHL goes through embarrassing decade pulling out all the stops to save Coyotes in Arizona despite no fan support or competent ownership

-A stable NBA owner with a net worth of 4.7billion wants to bring a team to the 4th largest city in America, who also happens to have excellent AHL attendance

-NHL proceeds to start screaming like schoolgirls while doing backflips and fistpumps behind closed doors, immediately putting plans in place to facilitate said hopeful owner

- NHL wants Vegas and Seattle expansion deals complete and in motion before going public

- NHL strategically realigns divisions with addition of Seattle to include proper Houston placement so they don't have to realign three times for three new teams

- Seattle is officially announced, NHL starts leaking info to start easing the public into the move.

This is all but done, it will just be a matter of when Houston is ready to start.
The city the Coyotes move to will have the Letter "T" in it
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 03:48 PM   #49
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouw N Arrow View Post
I just got served, meme style.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:49 PM   #50
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
I remember Dale Hawerchuk night in Glendale, it was a nice celebration for a guy who never played a single game in a Coyotes uniform.
Imagine how doubly cringy that will be in Houston.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 04:01 PM   #51
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thought someone (Friedman?) on HNIC recently said that Houston city council was not all that interested in the NHL and mentioned Austin as a possibility, which seems bizarre.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 05:00 PM   #52
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure what Houston city council has to do with it. The arena exists and is controlled by Fertitta.

Now what I have heard is that Fertitta thought the asking price for a franchise was absurdly high and in his words, the economics would have to "make sense". That is from last summer but I doubt everything is done.

No doubt he wants an NHL team to put in his arena but he may not see the same value in the price that owners in Seattle and LV are seeing. Agreeing on a price is probably the only sticking point, but who knows, it may be a big one. How could he end up paying less than new owners in Seattle?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2018, 05:05 PM   #53
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benched View Post
could make sense why they are moving Arizona to Central division despite being so close to Las Vegas who remains in Pacific --they foresaw something like this as a potential? Houston in the Central makes more sense.
Then they can build up a rivalry with Dallas.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:37 PM   #54
trumpethead
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This is a no-brainer for the NHL. Houston is a bigger market with a better arena. The Toyota Center looks like a great arena. And their scoreboard is massive - I believe its the biggest screen in an indoor arena in NA.

trumpethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 06:00 PM   #55
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incogneto View Post
Whats happening on Monday?

Throwback to the sale negotiations.. I LOL’d
Old 12-11-2018, 06:20 PM   #56
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

The NHL will be in Houston at some point. Do you think they'd keep the name Coyotes or go for a clean break from the past?

A Cowboy/Western motif would be a departure from the space themes used by other sports teams in the city.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 06:34 PM   #57
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope that this thread turns into another 'name the team' marathon.

The Houston Earthworms.
The Seattle Marmalades.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:35 PM   #58
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

No way would Houston want the Coyotes name. It really has next to no cache.

And I also think they have very little interest in the Jets history. Houston does have a little hockey history. How many rinks have Gordie Howe's sweater hanging from the rafters?

I think they would give strong consideration to the Aeros name. They were a Wild farm team during their last iteration, but not sure who would own the rights to that name.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 06:56 PM   #59
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Houston Planeteers
Old 12-11-2018, 07:03 PM   #60
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Houston Apollos? Houston Comets? oh i like that.

Last edited by White Out 403; 12-12-2018 at 01:42 PM. Reason: omg i made a typo!! SHAME