Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2018, 01:19 PM   #21
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

That's surprising.

For his sake he better stand on his head or Rittich is going to be given the ball to run with quickly.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2018, 01:21 PM   #22
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Neal might benefit from playing with two of the faster guys on the team, both with pretty good hockey IQ.

If Backlund gets lined up against the top line, Czarnik better be on his toes defensively.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 01:22 PM   #23
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Red View Post
Whatever happened to the good old fashioned bag skate??! No pucks or sticks (maybe some extra ankle weights), touch each line and back, skate laps, UNTIL YOU PUKE!

"Hey guys, you really sucked the last three games and last night's 9-1 score really flattered you, so I guess it'll be business as usual, standard practice with a little shuffling, Keep calm and carry on."

It's all in the attitude - GAF in practice and maybe you'll GAF in the game.
Sutter used to go easy when they lost and hard when they won.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2018, 01:22 PM   #24
NewFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yes, it is almost my lines that I want to see.
Gaudreau-Monahan-Bennett
Tkachuk-Lindholm-Neal
Ryan-Backlund-Frolik
Hathaway-Jankowski-Czarnik
NewFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NewFan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2018, 01:27 PM   #25
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Sutter used to go easy when they lost and hard when they won.
I like this method.

They shouldn’t need a kick after being embarrassed. You’re just embarrassing them for getting embarrassed. They know, and already feel it. But expect a high pace good intensity, all eyes and ears open, practice the next day.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 01:32 PM   #26
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
That's surprising.

For his sake he better stand on his head or Rittich is going to be given the ball to run with quickly.

I'm not surprised. If he is your #1 then you treat him like your #1 and you give him a chance to rebound. You're right in that he won't be the starter if he falters again. Soon it will be 2a and 2b until one of them take the bull by he horns.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 01:33 PM   #27
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’d still stick with Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm. They had 29 combined points in first 9 games. Why mess with that.
pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 01:33 PM   #28
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

For the love of god, please practice the powerplay.
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 01:33 PM   #29
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jore View Post
Pat Steinberg
@Fan960Steinberg
Mike Smith starts tomorrow vs. Washington. #Flames
3:03 PM · Oct 26, 2018

Ok, so I was frustrated beyond belief last night and decided to cool off and shut my mouth.

But I have had it with Smith. I said after game 1 that Smith is done, toast, finished, kaput, you name it... and I don't even want him as a back-up let alone a starter.

And now Smith will be starting the next game? Sure it was a dismal team effort but Smith was atrocious and crapped the bed.

And another thing. I hesitate to criticize what players wear etc but get a damned haircut. Every time Smith is shown after letting in a goal, you see snotty wet hair sticking out of his helmet everywhere. It makes me want to puke.

Have at my comments however you wish but I am so done with the goalie situation and the Flames.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2018, 01:33 PM   #30
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennett has been better this year but to praise him and his 3 points and thow JG under the bus is silly

It's less about the line a guys on and more about the Balance. Lindholm has obviously been one of the better forwards I wouldn't call his move a demotion.
Old 10-26-2018, 01:36 PM   #31
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
Ok, so I was frustrated beyond belief last night and decided to cool off and shut my mouth.

But I have had it with Smith. I said after game 1 that Smith is done, toast, finished, kaput, you name it... and I don't even want him as a back-up let alone a starter.

And now Smith will be starting the next game? Sure it was a dismal team effort but Smith was atrocious and crapped the bed.

And another thing. I hesitate to criticize what players wear etc but get a damned haircut. Every time Smith is shown after letting in a goal, you see snotty wet hair sticking out of his helmet everywhere. It makes me want to puke.

Have at my comments however you wish but I am so done with the goalie situation and the Flames
Ok then...

This is how I imagine you:

Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2018, 01:37 PM   #32
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bag skates, shouting at players and other similar methods might not be the best approach here, even if that is what we as fans kind of want to see. I remember in 86 when the Flames went on a horrible losing skid, and Johnson felt that the best approach was to just remain positive.

I am pretty sure that the players feel thoroughly ashamed of last night's game, after dropping an egg in Montreal, and just scraping a win out of New York prior to that. I would hope that Peters AND Treliving pick up on any player that doesn't care and sit/jettison that player off the team, in the off chance that there is a single player that fits that description.

Peters just has to find a way to get that 'swagger' back on this team. Maybe they are too soft. I don't know. I haven't seen a swagger on this team since the Hartley days, and prior to that it was Sutter. If Peters can get this team to believe in themselves, have them get on the same page and at start seeing some success, then he was a great hire. Until then, I don't think it is out of left field to openly wonder about him as a coach - he isn't an NHL proven head coach who has shown he is capable of meeting expectations here, though on the other hand he hasn't proven that he can't do the job either.

I, for one, would have felt better about having Darryl Sutter as the coach in a stretch like this, but it is still too early (IMO) to say that Peters was a bad hire.

What I really hate seeing is the same things I saw last year under Gulutzan - little offence generated (sorry Bingo, but I completely disagree with what the analytics was saying in that regard, and the overall goals scored in the season proves it in my mind) while also giving up 5 alarm chances.

I don't care if a shot comes from a high danger chance. A good goalie that is set and ready for that shot should save it. There is not enough attacking the net. The Flames STARTED the season with a lot more quality chances where the goalie had to move to make a save, but they have returned to last year's team. They haven't stopped with giving up those grade A chances where our goalies have to fight through screens, make desperation saves sliding from one post to the other, or having to stare down break-aways. Too many of these happen.

You have to trust in Peters to get this team to shore up their play in the entire 200 feet of the ice. You have to trust that with new personnel and a coaching staff (especially Ward) can get the PP to start clicking at least at an average capacity over the course of the season.

If these team is still playing sloppy and having poor special teams, it is going to be another interesting off-season. Still too early to worry about it. We have seen the Flames playing effectively (though those damn grade A chances against were still there). Maybe they just needed an embarrassing loss at home to give them that kick in the ass they needed.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2018, 01:38 PM   #33
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
I like this method.

They shouldn’t need a kick after being embarrassed. You’re just embarrassing them for getting embarrassed. They know, and already feel it. But expect a high pace good intensity, all eyes and ears open, practice the next day.

So, then what happened after the game in MTL? Or was that game not embarrassing enough? Did they have a "Hard" practice after the NYR game?

You know who will really be embarrassed? Every Flames fan in ON the day after the laffs crush us. There will be non-stop in-your-face laffs are the next SC Champions ridicule for weeks.

They need to get their act together sooner rather than later - US Thanksgiving is less than a month away.
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 01:39 PM   #34
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaBrink View Post
Interesting to see Bennett working his way up the lines. Good for him.
Bennett will also puck someones face in for taking cheap shots at Gaudreau
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2018, 01:42 PM   #35
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Kristen Anderson @KdotAnderson
Peters having a long chat at the end of practice with TJ Brodie.
I don't suppose we are lucky enough that he is explaining to him why he has been traded.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 01:42 PM   #36
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Ok then...

This is how I imagine you:

Well, it is just the last straw for me. I don't hate the man...hate what he does not offer the Flames.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 01:43 PM   #37
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Smith was such a disaster on that first goal. and its like in beer league when your goalie lets in a few soft goals early, you just kinda realize how the night is gonna go sometimes.

Honestly, how smith doesn't cover the short side when he sees sid driving that side for a solid 3 seconds before shooting baffles me after rewatching it.

Yes it was a great shot, but if your goalie is covering the angle properly, knowing that you have the guys in front tied up, then it would've forced crosby to go around the back of the net. but instead he was down, not covering the post and it was a relatively easy shot for a great player to make.

from that moment on, the team basically is going to lose confidence in their goalie, and then for him to let in two more soft ones right away didn't help
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Boy Wonder For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2018, 01:43 PM   #38
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper24 View Post
I’d still stick with Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm. They had 29 combined points in first 9 games. Why mess with that.
Because at Even Strength they are still negative on the ledger and are giving up more than they are creating.

Goals For: 7
Goals Against: 11 (48% of the Flames ES goals against, more or equal to what New Jersey, Minnesota, & Colorado have given up at ES as a team)

High Danger Chance%: 38%
- High Danger Chances For: 22
- High Danger Chances Against: 36

That line has been quite horrible at keeping shots and quality chances down against at Even Strength.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 10-26-2018 at 02:14 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2018, 01:47 PM   #39
ST20
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The third line looks very promising...

Dube-Lindholm-Neal

Speed with Dube, defensive responsibility, great board work and faceoffs with Lindholm, and a scorer in Neal. Hopefully this gets Neal going.
ST20 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ST20 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2018, 01:53 PM   #40
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon57 C Depth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST20 View Post
The third line looks very promising...

Dube-Lindholm-Neal

Speed with Dube, defensive responsibility, great board work and faceoffs with Lindholm, and a scorer in Neal. Hopefully this gets Neal going.
Yes, I've been waiting for coach to start using our new centre depth, didn't Lindholm play centre with the Hurricanes?
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote