Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2018, 09:22 PM   #41
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think Ferland has a lot of potential and is a great player. He can be a 30-20 guy who can hit and fight.

I’d still rather have Lindholm as I think he’s all around more skilled and can be a 30-40 guy at his best.

I also think Hanifin > Hamilton.

I also think GG was horrendous and that Ferland would be lighting it up on the Flames as well.
Bourque's Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:32 PM   #42
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

No one single answer, but I think it has a lot to do with coaching and systems. Last season, the Flames tied for 27th in the league on g/p. This season, the Flames are 4th in the league in g/p, and while some of that can be chalked up to scoring depth, it's easy to see that the system they're playing generates more scoring chances.

With his foot speed and great shot, I have no doubt that, if Ferland was still on the Flames, he would be producing more this year than he ever had before.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:34 PM   #43
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I watched a player quit on the team last year. Was happy to see him gone. Sorry but if you quit like that we don’t need you.
H2SO4(aq) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:35 PM   #44
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

It doesn't surprise me with how well he is doing in Carolina. People just assumed that Ferland was done developing. 30 goals seems more than plausible for him, and though I don't think he can hit 40 during any one season in his career, if he did accomplish that feat, it wouldn't shock me either.

Flames miss Ferland and everything he brought to this team. It was still a shrewd trade by Treliving, but Lindholm and Hanifin were expensive acquisitions. Every single season in the NHL you could see the growth in his game. Anyone that is particularly surprised with how well he is doing may just be guilty of underrating him and feeling anyone over a certain age - regardless of history (like him overcoming alcoholism) - is a finished product with no room for improvement. Still one of my favourite players out there with the kind of game he plays and his 'feel good' story growing up, as well as his personal battles.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:43 PM   #45
Press Level
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I wish nothing but the best for Ferkland. I hope that Bieksa still has nightmares.
Press Level is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Press Level For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2018, 09:44 PM   #46
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ferland is a unicorn. There is nothing he isn't above average at hockey wise. His shot is very good, his hockey sense is strong, his puck handling/carrying is upper half of the roster caliber, his defensive play is well above average for a winger.

Even without his tremendous physical presence he still can make a difference, and he's probably a top 10 forward in the league in terms of his physicality, and one of maybe three who can do so while playing top 6 minutes.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:45 PM   #47
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

He’s a good player who has been getting better the past few seasons. Good to see him doing well.
pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:46 PM   #48
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

He had some good stretches last year. Really when he was going the Flames were going well. But can he sustain it for 20 games or be more consistent over a 30 game stretch. If he can, than his next contract will be very lucrative for him.

Let's be honest trades that work for both teams are good. We don't have enough pure hockey trades anymore. Maybe if a couple of these work out more teams will be willing to try them. Been a boring 10 years of cap dumps and rebuilds throughout the whole league.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2018, 09:55 PM   #49
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm predicting monster season, 6x6 contract, then 6 disappointing seasons to round out his career. I think he's going to be real low on ####s to give once he signs his last big pay day.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 10-22-2018, 09:59 PM   #50
Aeneas
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was quite pissed when we traded Ferland. Probably my favourite player on the Flames. Hope he does very well in Carolina.

But man, I have been impressed by Hanifin and Lindholm. That sure softens the blow.

Good trade for both teams I guess.
Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aeneas For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2018, 10:01 PM   #51
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeneas View Post
I was quite pissed when we traded Ferland. Probably my favourite player on the Flames. Hope he does very well in Carolina.

But man, I have been impressed by Hanifin and Lindholm. That sure softens the blow.

Good trade for both teams I guess.
It's an especially good trade considering there's no guarantee Ferland would have been a Flame beyond this season and if he keeps this pace up he's gonna get paid. Bigly.
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hey Connor, It's Mess For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2018, 10:03 PM   #52
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

What were the injury issues last year? I don't remember much discussion about it, although it certainly explains the massive drop in production.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:09 PM   #53
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's always turned into a beast for stretches, whether or not he can keep it up will be the test.

Can't rule out how effective getting away from Gulutzan is though
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2018, 10:25 PM   #54
BigErnSalute_16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Ferland was always one of my favourite Flames. I never understood how people could hate on him around here. Fifth round pick who made the NHL then improved every single season in the league, thats more than you could ever ask but people still wanted more out of him for some reason.

He was given one full season with top six minutes and he gave us 21 goals and 40 points but some people still only see the fact that he went cold at the end of the year and in their eyes thats all he'll ever be, Even though he was hurt and his centre was hurt and the entire team fell apart, but who cares because he didnt do much in the second half so he never will? that doesnt make much sense.

I'm not saying he is going to turn into a superstar but to think he is done developing and will forever be a streaky 40 point max player is crazy. I don't see any reason why he can't continue the trend of improving each season and become a physical 50 point 25-30 goal guy.

Good luck Ferland, light it up this year then make that bank!!
BigErnSalute_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigErnSalute_16 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2018, 10:25 PM   #55
Aeneas
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
What were the injury issues last year? I don't remember much discussion about it, although it certainly explains the massive drop in production.
I thought he had concussion issues and that kept his physical play down.
But I may be mistaken.
Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:29 PM   #56
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am happy Ferland is having a good start to the year. I am still extremely pleased with the trwde overall. Turning a 26 and 25 year old into a 23 and 21 year old softened the blow of not having a pick in the first 3 rounds last draft. Lindholm’s faceoff ability, right shot, and long term contract have the Flames better off.

Having said that Ferland is playing his way into a 5x5 deal and I hope it works out for him.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:55 PM   #57
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I am happy Ferland is having a good start to the year. I am still extremely pleased with the trwde overall. Turning a 26 and 25 year old into a 23 and 21 year old softened the blow of not having a pick in the first 3 rounds last draft. Lindholm’s faceoff ability, right shot, and long term contract have the Flames better off.

Having said that Ferland is playing his way into a 5x5 deal and I hope it works out for him.
Yeah he is looking at James Neal money.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:02 PM   #58
Phaneuf_Phan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Two words: Contract Year. I wish him the best for a big payday after the season is over.
Phaneuf_Phan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 11:35 PM   #59
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeneas View Post
I thought he had concussion issues and that kept his physical play down.
But I may be mistaken.
He's had at least two diagnosed concussions while with the Flames, yes.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 12:00 AM   #60
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Has anyone actually watched some Carolina games? I've seen 3 or 4 so far. They're a very fast team with a high pressure forecheck, which is something Ferland excels at. He is playing on the top line with Aho and Teravainen, and Aho in particular is looking like a wizard so far. He has 4 goals and 10 assists already through 9 games! Teravainen is also a pass first type with 1 goal and 9 assists. We know Ferland can finish chances and so far that's what he's been doing.

Ferland is absolutely in the right place at the right time, but he's there because of his game.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Party Elephant For This Useful Post: