Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-12-2018, 01:20 PM   #341
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Wasn't he the scuzzy lawyer that wouldn't deal with Tom Hanks in Philadelphia?
Nope.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 01:21 PM   #342
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Jurrasic World: Lost Kingdom....

This movie is trash.

The premise makes zero sense. Do you know what would be even better than using a historically uncontrollable wild animal in combat? How about owning a gun? Or a tank? If raptors could be weaponized, why didn't someone just do that with a chimp or a lion? Because it makes zero sense. They would be good for melee combat I suppose, but they'd have to get close enough to avoid guns first. The cost of the dinosaurs at their auctions was also in the 10-30 million+ range. You could literally arm entire armies for those amounts of dollars or buy high end armaments like modern tanks and artillery capable of demolishing city blocks.

Somehow the effects have gotten worse and less believable since the original movie that came out in 1993.

Chris Pratt's special love affair with a raptor can only carry a movie so far.
the best part about the weaponized raptor is that you direct it at a target by pointing a special gun and firing some acoustic signal. the script writers actually put that in and said "yes, that is an extremely believable improvement over firing a standard gun at a something...genius."
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 01:25 PM   #343
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems appropriate.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2018, 01:52 PM   #344
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

This movie is trash.

The premise makes zero sense. Do you know what would be even better than using a historically uncontrollable wild animal in combat? How about owning a gun? Or a tank? If raptors could be weaponized, why didn't someone just do that with a chimp or a lion? Because it makes zero sense. They would be good for melee combat I suppose, but they'd have to get close enough to avoid guns first. The cost of the dinosaurs at their auctions was also in the 10-30 million+ range. You could literally arm entire armies for those amounts of dollars or buy high end armaments like modern tanks and artillery capable of demolishing city blocks.

Somehow the effects have gotten worse and less believable since the original movie that came out in 1993.

The worst part for me was the girl deciding to let the dinosaurs out into the world because they're all clones.

Really? No way that could turn out badly at all.
Ped is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 01:57 PM   #345
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
The worst part for me was the girl deciding to let the dinosaurs out into the world because they're all clones.

Really? No way that could turn out badly at all.
Well they have to set up the premise for the next sequel....

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 02:02 PM   #346
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Islam and the future of tolerance is out today, a Sam Harris documentary. I can't wait to get home and watch. Will happily pay to own.

http://www.islamandthefutureoftolerance.com

itunes https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/is...e/id1444739713

vimeo https://vimeo.com/ondemand/islamfutureoftolerance

its on amazon but im not sure that will work up in canada
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2018, 02:02 PM   #347
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

They ought to just preface all of these movies where the suspension of disbelief isn't quite enough, by saying this all takes place 3 years before the events leading to Idiocracy.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 02:18 PM   #348
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The intention of weaponizing monsters, aliens, dinosaurs or using monsters to save us from another evil as has always been dumb but it makes for a good excuse for let these animals run rampant. It's never seems to go out of style as the idea has been used in Godzilla, Aliens, dinosaurs, super heroes (Suicide Squad lol), etc.

In this case you literally have animals that people were paying huge amounts of money to see in a zoo. Here's an idea, sell them to people who want to put the animals in zoos. I'd pay top dollar to see an ankylosaurus in a zoo.

Jurrasic Park has always been somewhat more grounded in science, but the series officially jumps the shark when it's comparable plot points come from movies like Godzilla and Suicide Squad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
the best part about the weaponized raptor is that you direct it at a target by pointing a special gun and firing some acoustic signal. the script writers actually put that in and said "yes, that is an extremely believable improvement over firing a standard gun at a something...genius."
Lol. Didn't even think of that. You're totally right though. They were literally firing a gun at someone to signal the dinosaur.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 05:47 PM   #349
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Will Smith literally played Satan in a movie my wife dragged me to a few years back. Let me look it up.

Yep, Winter's Tale.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1837709...nm_flmg_act_16

It was terrible.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 02:52 AM   #350
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Will Smith literally played Satan in a movie my wife dragged me to a few years back. Let me look it up.

Yep, Winter's Tale.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1837709...nm_flmg_act_16

It was terrible.
How Did This Get Made? covered that movie a few years ago:
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:45 AM   #351
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

This movie is trash.

I actually really enjoyed Jurassic World, yeah the last 20 min or so were ridiculous and jumped the shark once the raptors started communicating with the Indominus Rex and turned on everybody. But aside from that I thought it was a fun movie.

But yeah Fallen Kingdom was terrible, I was so disappointed with it. Extremely predictable, super cheesy even for JW standards, and just dumb. I felt JW walked the line between action movie and kids movie, but Fallen Kingdom just went fully over to being a kids movie. I was so disengaged and bored with it I remember having the urge to walk out of the theatre mid-movie if I was by myself.

Think I'm done with that franchise after Fallen Kingdom, which is quite the turnaround after enjoying JW.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:53 AM   #352
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Seems appropriate.

Ha ha ha. Even though I confused he movie names and not actors that's the first thing that jumped in my mind when I made that mistake. That CNN anchor person confusing Jackson with Fishburne is a classic as Jackson lit him up.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 10:13 PM   #353
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

First Man was amazing. Captivating from start to finish. They went a little thin on the Gemeni and Apollo accidents but I really felt like they did a fantastic job portraying Neil Armstrong.

Still to this day it blows my mind they went to the moon in a glorified washing machine powered by a Casio calculator watch. Frickin cowboys the lot of them. Hats off to all of the people who pioneered manned space flight.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2018, 11:27 PM   #354
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
I actually really enjoyed Jurassic World, yeah the last 20 min or so were ridiculous and jumped the shark once the raptors started communicating with the Indominus Rex and turned on everybody. But aside from that I thought it was a fun movie.

But yeah Fallen Kingdom was terrible, I was so disappointed with it. Extremely predictable, super cheesy even for JW standards, and just dumb. I felt JW walked the line between action movie and kids movie, but Fallen Kingdom just went fully over to being a kids movie. I was so disengaged and bored with it I remember having the urge to walk out of the theatre mid-movie if I was by myself.

Think I'm done with that franchise after Fallen Kingdom, which is quite the turnaround after enjoying JW.
I find JW passable. The idea of creating hybrid clones is dumb too. If you could create dinosaurs, you'd instantly have the most profitable business on the planet. People would pay huge bucks to see a triceratops. You don't need to make the dinosaurs more dangerous to get more audience share.

Considering the original Jurassic Park failed because the animals were dangerous and escaped, designing an even more dangerous dinosaur, like indominus rex or whatever they called it, would seem like an automatic no go. And what kinds of psychopathic families are going to these dinosaur shows. Watching goats get torn apart and have their entrails eaten by raptors would traumatize most kids.

What made the original JP so great was the sense of wonder it created. All of the sequels have lacked that. A major reason being the over the top characters and lack of practical effects. Chris Pratt's self-depricating yet super human style really only works when you have another strong personality to keep him in check. Without Bradley Cooper or Aubrey Plaza, he is pretty grating.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 03:35 AM   #355
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
First Man was amazing. Captivating from start to finish. They went a little thin on the Gemeni and Apollo accidents but I really felt like they did a fantastic job portraying Neil Armstrong.

Still, to this day it blows my mind they went to the moon in a glorified washing machine powered by a Casio calculator watch. Frickin cowboys the lot of them. Hats off to all of the people who pioneered manned space flight.
It was excellent, exactly how they should have done it, the Right Stuff while great was more of a rah-rah movie, this was all about the impact on the guys, their families and the amazing route they took to get to the moon.

I am still waiting on a Chuck Yeager movie, that man is a legend that deserves a full Hollywood film about him.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:51 PM   #356
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Just saw the original Tron at the Globe. It was awesome in all of its 80s glory.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2018, 01:29 AM   #357
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just saw Mortal Engines. The cities and machinery and such were pretty neat to see. It was a pretty by-the-numbers plot. I'm told that it's adapted from a book, and it loses points on being a poor adaption. The one main downside to this movie is that I felt like I got dropped right into the middle of everything with almost no context. There was a little context, thrown at you in very brief lines, and I was able to figure it out, but it didn't do a good job of explaining what needed explaining.

It did have some interesting concepts though.

I'd say it was a 3.5/5

Oh, and it wasn't until I was looking up the roles/info after that I realized the female lead's name is "Hester" and not "Esther", which is what it sounded like for the 100 or so times it was shouted in the movie.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 01:35 PM   #358
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Spiderman into the spiderverse was excellent.

Laugh out loud funny and pretty self aware (of the entire SM franchise). A lot of clever lines and visuals scattered throughout. Best marvel credit and post credit imo and probably the most well made Spiderman movie overall.

My only complaint is a couple of the emotionally "heavy" moments felt forced.

Oh did I mention the animation is a treat too? And I'm not typically an animated movie guy.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 04:10 PM   #359
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
Totally agree on Buster Scruggs. That was way better than I expected and you're right those last couple shorts were the type that really make you think and end up on your mind days after seeing it.

Ben Foster is underrated IMO, will have to check out that one.

Excellent reviews!
Soon as I noticed it was Cohen brothers I nearly jumped out of the sofa, loved it and am such a fanboy of their work.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:17 PM   #360
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ralph Breaks the Internet was brilliant.

My kids like all movies - but I personally thought it was the best animated film I’ve seen in years.