Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-16-2018, 11:10 AM   #61
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronck View Post
For me it is/was Jason Lee. Seems like such a smart guy to be wrapped up with the rest of these kooks.
Good news, Jason Lee has quit scientology:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=jason...hrome&ie=UTF-8

It's pretty shocking how big an impact it had on Jason Lee's life before he quit though:

https://web.archive.org/web/20150623...ogy-1703997050

Essentially Lee's ex-wife reads an anti-scientology book, someone else finds out, she gets labelled a "suppressive person", and the relationship is instantly over.

Also it was Marisa Ribissi who introduced both Jason Lee and Beck to Scientology.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2018, 11:11 AM   #62
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post

It's pretty shocking how big an impact it had on Jason Lee's life before he quit though:

Essentially Lee's ex-wife reads an anti-scientology book, someone else finds out, she gets labelled a "suppressive person", and the relationship is instantly over.

Also it was Marisa Ribissi who introduced both Jason Lee and Beck to Scientology.
"Jason Lee quits Scientology and moves to Texas!"

I dont know which is more concerning.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 11:15 AM   #63
Superfraggle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post

Actually, what it says is she introduced Lee. Not Beck:
Quote:
She claimed that Lee was first introduced to Scientology by his ex-girlfriend Marissa Ribisi. The actress and her husband, Grammy-winning singer-songwriter Beck, are Scientologists. (Beck, 46, was born into the faith through his parents, Bibbe Hansen and David Campbell.
Superfraggle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Superfraggle For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2018, 12:28 PM   #64
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I cried a little during that episode when the brother and sister talked about two brothers who committed suicide. That was as sad as it was horrible.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 12:49 PM   #65
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

That was probably one of the most moving moments in the show's history, and there have been quite a few powerful ones.

I worked with 2 Jehova's over my life, one around my early 20s and he went in and out of the cult during that time, it was so brutal to see how hurt he was when he was shunned and of course even though he didn't believe in the cult or was even really religious he went back.

Then in my mid-20s I worked with this beautiful woman who I fell for, she also struggled with being part of a cult, she again like my other friend knew they were pretty bad but all her friends, family and everything she knew was part of this so eventually she ended up going back and marrying a guy there. I still feel like if I could have pulled her away we would have lived a long and happy life together
Old 11-16-2018, 12:56 PM   #66
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
That was probably one of the most moving moments in the show's history, and there have been quite a few powerful ones.

I worked with 2 Jehova's over my life, one around my early 20s and he went in and out of the cult during that time, it was so brutal to see how hurt he was when he was shunned and of course even though he didn't believe in the cult or was even really religious he went back.

Then in my mid-20s I worked with this beautiful woman who I fell for, she also struggled with being part of a cult, she again like my other friend knew they were pretty bad but all her friends, family and everything she knew was part of this so eventually she ended up going back and marrying a guy there. I still feel like if I could have pulled her away we would have lived a long and happy life together
This is why your trunk needs an ample supply of burlap sacks, duct tape, rags, chloroform and zip ties.

Everyone forgets the zip ties.

Show those crazy cults that two can play this game!

Or not. Depending entirely on your comfort level with fairly significant felonies. The downside is that their kidnappings routinely receive Religious protection where others dont. So thats something to keep in mind.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2018, 01:01 PM   #67
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post

It is tough to leave. My GF is definitely happy she did, but not talking to her dad in 20 years, and him not having a relationship with her kids is all pretty tough and sad.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2018, 01:03 PM   #68
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
It is tough to leave. My GF is definitely happy she did, but not talking to her dad in 20 years, and him not having a relationship with her kids is all pretty tough and sad.
I can understand your point, but as tough and sad as it is, perhaps its for the best for the kids.

It sucks not having a relationship with family, but maybe sometimes that isnt the 'be all and end all.'

Maybe no relationship is better than a crazy, toxic relationship?

Old 11-16-2018, 01:36 PM   #69
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I can understand your point, but as tough and sad as it is, perhaps its for the best for the kids.

It sucks not having a relationship with family, but maybe sometimes that isnt the 'be all and end all.'

Maybe no relationship is better than a crazy, toxic relationship?
She'd agree with that, but it's never that simple. Her brother, who left the religion, but wasn't disfellowshipped, still has a relationship with the parents. And the dad still sends letters or emails every couple years, and if she responds he'll reply with all sorts of religious kook about saving her from the end times.

She has no doubts about leaving the religion, although she someimes wishes she'd just left and not have been disfellowshipped. It's hard to be at peace of the thought that her father chooses the religion ahead of his daughter. It's also always a tough line to draw of whether to see members of church as the problem or the victim.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:02 PM   #70
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Is there like a register for this? Can we sign up? Because 'No JW is allowed to talk to me' is a list I'd really, really like to be on.
NSFW!
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:18 PM   #71
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
She'd agree with that, but it's never that simple. Her brother, who left the religion, but wasn't disfellowshipped, still has a relationship with the parents. And the dad still sends letters or emails every couple years, and if she responds he'll reply with all sorts of religious kook about saving her from the end times.

She has no doubts about leaving the religion, although she someimes wishes she'd just left and not have been disfellowshipped. It's hard to be at peace of the thought that her father chooses the religion ahead of his daughter. It's also always a tough line to draw of whether to see members of church as the problem or the victim.
Fair enough. I can get my head around that, but personally, I'd take that as motivation to say 'to hell with all of you, I'll do my own thing.'

Rather than feeling like a victim I'd understand that people deal with the consequences of their own choices and just get along with her own life.

If they love Scientology that much then let 'em have it. Live your own life. With them or without them.

Old 11-16-2018, 04:18 PM   #72
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronck View Post
For me it is/was Jason Lee. Seems like such a smart guy to be wrapped up with the rest of these kooks.
I agree. Maybe it's the characters he's played, but he seems too cynical/challenging to believe this crap.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 05:15 PM   #73
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Prince was JW and was often seen door-knocking around Minneapolis.

http://m.startribune.com/prince-s-de...ses/377972981/

Last edited by troutman; 11-16-2018 at 05:18 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 11:59 PM   #74
calgarybornnraised
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So where's Shelly? I figure David had her killed to keep her quiet.
calgarybornnraised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 08:14 AM   #75
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Oh I don't think they killed her, they are smart enough to know that if enough pressure is applied they'll have to show proof that she's alive.

That whole episode was creepy in a lot of ways, from Hubbard's relationship with the young girls on the Apollo. To people staying with the Sea Org because they believe that L Ron will come back and fix things.

I don't know how over the top Leah is, I would believe that there might be a bit of exaggeration, however that organization is seriously more then crazy. David Miscaviges niece wrote an excellent book on leaving the church, I'd recommend reading it.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:27 AM   #76
guzzy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

For anyone looking for a quick understanding of the beliefs of Scientology and their Alien God Xenu, go watch the South Park episode on Scientology. There is a 3 minute sub plot cartoon within the episode that lets you understand just how crazy these nut jobs are.

Sometime around 2006, I spent a hungover Sunday afternoon researching Scientology. There is definitely more information out there today than back then.

The thing I found that I still find amusing today, is the more info I looked at back then, everything kept pointing me to the South Park Scientology episode. I remember thinking I can't reference a south park episode to educate myself. By the end of that day, I gave in and watched the south park episode. It used to be the only full episode on Youtube because they wanted to educate people (sounds absurd, right?).

I have zero respect for anyone involved with this thing. It is a complete hoax. They have FBI wiretaps of LRH and company explaining how they need to start a religion because they need to make money. Tom Cruise and all the other celebrities associated with it are completes frauds. They blackmail celebrities to keep them there through the process they call auditing and these idiots start to confess about every wrong doing they have done. I remember when Remini left and they threatened to expose her auditing
confessions. She beat them to it and released everything in her book. Everyone knows the dirt they have on Travolta (the whole gay thing - who cares?) but Tom Cruise (allegedly) must have done some absolutely horrendous things that he should probably be in jail for. That is the only reason I can see him staying involved with it.
guzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:43 AM   #77
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzy View Post
For anyone looking for a quick understanding of the beliefs of Scientology and their Alien God Xenu, go watch the South Park episode on Scientology. There is a 3 minute sub plot cartoon within the episode that lets you understand just how crazy these nut jobs are.

Sometime around 2006, I spent a hungover Sunday afternoon researching Scientology. There is definitely more information out there today than back then.

The thing I found that I still find amusing today, is the more info I looked at back then, everything kept pointing me to the South Park Scientology episode. I remember thinking I can't reference a south park episode to educate myself. By the end of that day, I gave in and watched the south park episode. It used to be the only full episode on Youtube because they wanted to educate people (sounds absurd, right?).

I have zero respect for anyone involved with this thing. It is a complete hoax. They have FBI wiretaps of LRH and company explaining how they need to start a religion because they need to make money. Tom Cruise and all the other celebrities associated with it are completes frauds. They blackmail celebrities to keep them there through the process they call auditing and these idiots start to confess about every wrong doing they have done. I remember when Remini left and they threatened to expose her auditing
confessions. She beat them to it and released everything in her book. Everyone knows the dirt they have on Travolta (the whole gay thing - who cares?) but Tom Cruise (allegedly) must have done some absolutely horrendous things that he should probably be in jail for. That is the only reason I can see him staying involved with it.

There are some pretty ugly news stories popping up that Tom Cruise who is pretty much second to Miscavige in the church but Leah stated that he not only knows about the abuses in the church, but actively participates in them.

I honestly don't think that Tom Cruise has been blackmailed into staying, I believe that in terms of celebrity recruitment they really went over the top with him to the point of them making him into a deity within the church structure, working his ego. Providing him with slaves, waiting on him hand and foot.

Tom Cruise has always had an ego, they appealed to that.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2018, 10:11 AM   #78
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
There are some pretty ugly news stories popping up that Tom Cruise who is pretty much second to Miscavige in the church but Leah stated that he not only knows about the abuses in the church, but actively participates in them.

I honestly don't think that Tom Cruise has been blackmailed into staying, I believe that in terms of celebrity recruitment they really went over the top with him to the point of them making him into a deity within the church structure, working his ego. Providing him with slaves, waiting on him hand and foot.

Tom Cruise has always had an ego, they appealed to that.
Leah basically said this on Joe Rogan's Podcast. Tom has no reason to leave because they treat him like a god.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:14 AM   #79
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Well when you get people building you custom motorcycles and cleaning your houses and managing your affairs for free it tends to go to your ego.

When you have people picking out or auditioning your girlfriends and wives and making them into your ideal woman why would you leave.

Tom Cruise is a great actor, but my sense is he's a creepy weirdo.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2018, 05:55 PM   #80
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
....David Miscaviges niece wrote an excellent book on leaving the church, I'd recommend reading it.
What’s her name or the title? I’d enjoy that.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote