Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2023, 12:09 PM   #3041
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm in Calgary for now. The logistics of this aren't working.im selling my machine here and buying a rig out there off market place. Gonna have to throw the dice

Last edited by White Out 403; 10-24-2023 at 12:45 PM.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 02:14 PM   #3042
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
In my experience, the case, SSD, and memory are areas not to spend on
I generally agree on SSD and memory within reason, though you don't want an SSD that's going to die on you obviously so there's a limit.

But case = performance. Hugely important. Not that you have to spend a huge amount of money on a case, you just need to make sure you're shopping for one tests well and fits your build goals. Don't just get the cheapest one out there. EDIT: I just looked at Memex and Fractal Torrent Compact is $100 off and Meshify 2 $90 off. That makes the decison pretty easy IMO.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 08:07 AM   #3043
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't understand how anyone could suggest that brand of hard drive doesn't matter. What's more important than the reliability of your hard drive?

Anywho I think I have a alternate solution that I'm going to consider. I think I'm just going to buy the expensive small parts like video card memory and CPU and bring it out to Cape Breton in my luggage. This helps me save on HST and then I can just order directly to Sydney the bigger parts that will be impractical to bring with me. I can get it locally assembled for $69. I'm still thinking about buying that computer off the marketplace, though. It's an incredible machine just you know you're rolling the dice on somebody else's computer.

the specs
i9-12900K
GeForce RTX 3070TI
64GB DDR5 Ram (6000mhz I believe)
Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Motherboard
1TB Samsung NVME SSD
1,000 Watt Corsair PSU
Hyte Y60 Case
Corsair AIO (liquid CPU cooling)

That's a very fancy computer imo
Old 10-25-2023, 04:12 PM   #3044
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

alright, so, what does the CP build brain trust think of
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compar...00K/4134vs4152

The i7 14700K vs 13600K

I feel like the i7 will last longer, but, it's quite a bump up in price and I feel like maybe that's better dropped on a video card? I have this weird snobby feeling towards i5's. I don't think its super rationale. But the i5 has tremendous value it seems for the dollar and performance
Old 10-25-2023, 04:27 PM   #3045
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I've never been big on i7 over i5 personally. I don't feel like enough games take advantage of the extra cores anyways. I suppose if you're someone who min/maxes your build (maxes out overclock voltage on K processors, disables E cores, maybe more?) then of course you go as high as you can, but the clock speeds on the i5 are the real important part IMO.

That being said, from all the listening to Digital Foundry's weekly show I've done recently it sounds like many games on ultra settings at high resolution and framerate tend to be CPU limited? So perhaps it's not a bad idea to put extra money there.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2023, 04:42 PM   #3046
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
I don't understand how anyone could suggest that brand of hard drive doesn't matter. What's more important than the reliability of your hard drive?

Anywho I think I have a alternate solution that I'm going to consider. I think I'm just going to buy the expensive small parts like video card memory and CPU and bring it out to Cape Breton in my luggage. This helps me save on HST and then I can just order directly to Sydney the bigger parts that will be impractical to bring with me. I can get it locally assembled for $69. I'm still thinking about buying that computer off the marketplace, though. It's an incredible machine just you know you're rolling the dice on somebody else's computer.

the specs
i9-12900K
GeForce RTX 3070TI
64GB DDR5 Ram (6000mhz I believe)
Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Motherboard
1TB Samsung NVME SSD
1,000 Watt Corsair PSU
Hyte Y60 Case
Corsair AIO (liquid CPU cooling)

That's a very fancy computer imo
I've been on the SSD bandwagon since the early days when the biggest size you could get was 64GB. I could barely fit my OS drive on there and I'd have separate ones for gaming. I've had every brand and I've never had an SSD failure whereas I've had mechanical drive failures. Maybe its luck. I did have a coworker who's game drive failed but in my mind, the SSD only contributes to shorter loading screens and not directly to FPS. A failed drive would just be replaced since I have backups. I'm strictly speaking to gaming performance for the dollar. Of course case, SSD, and memory matter for overall quality of life.

I think that's a good idea, buy the expensive high performance parts and the heavy stuff like case, powersupply, liquid cooling radiator assembly, etc. I would get over there.

I also was on the liquid cooling train back in 2012 and I'm not so much for the all in one units anymore. You can get adequate performance off air cooled heatsinks with less complication unless you are going to overvolt and overclock - is that your intention?

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 10-25-2023 at 04:47 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 04:44 PM   #3047
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
I've never been big on i7 over i5 personally. I don't feel like enough games take advantage of the extra cores anyways. I suppose if you're someone who min/maxes your build (maxes out overclock voltage on K processors, disables E cores, maybe more?) then of course you go as high as you can, but the clock speeds on the i5 are the real important part IMO.

That being said, from all the listening to Digital Foundry's weekly show I've done recently it sounds like many games on ultra settings at high resolution and framerate tend to be CPU limited? So perhaps it's not a bad idea to put extra money there.
Its very dependent on the game. If that specific game has a lot of CPU calculations then yet but honestly most games are written for cross-platform and thus optimized for consoles that would be slower or equivalent to the core count on an i5 to begin with.

Maybe it would help to know the intended use cases are for the new PC? Video editing? Gaming? (which specifically?)

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 10-25-2023 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-25-2023, 05:02 PM   #3048
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think for the difference in money and how well the i5 performs in benchmarks I'm going to do the reasonable thing and go with the i5. I really don't do a lot of Hardcore gaming.

So what I came up with after doing a bit more snooping around is this build:

Case
Hyte y40
Edit leaning towards NZXT h5 now
edit: yeah, orderd the H5 Flow from new egg and shipped to Sydney

Motherboard
PRIME B760-PLUS

CPU
Core™ i5-13600K

Liquid Cooler
Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360L ARGB v2

Memory
Vengeance RGB Pro SL 32GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16 Dual Channel Kit

Video card
ASUS 4060ti 8gb

Hard drive
WD black 2 TB

Any feedback would be appreciated

As far as gaming goes honestly I have no idea outside of I want to try Minecraft with ray tracing lol.

Last edited by White Out 403; 10-25-2023 at 06:38 PM.
Old 10-29-2023, 11:35 AM   #3049
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Hey, not sure if you guys can help. I'm looking for a splitter/adapter.

This is what I want it to do:
I want a female rj9 input (I believe that's the name for an old school telephone cord). I'll plug a male rj9 cord into that. Once in, it would split so there's another rj9 female output to send power to my radar detector AND a USB out so I could power an accessory off that.

Reason is I have hardwired my radar detector (valentine one that is powered by that rj9 telephone cable), but it'd be nice to be able to power, say, a dash cam off the same wire tap using the splitter.

Does this make sense?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 07:42 AM   #3050
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd be surprised if an rj9 can carry enough voltage to power a USB as well; do you know what the power output on the (assumedly) lighter plug to rj9 is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 09:20 PM   #3051
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

My radar detector has a 12v plug that has a usb spot and a phone cord out of it.

https://kmph.ca/products/uniden-rada...or-power-cord/

Edit: noticed you said female, but maybe the built in cord would work?

Edit2: mine is an rj11 not an rj9 but maybe you could just get a usb splitter and one of these?

https://www.amazon.ca/Compatible-Pla...8c7d8fd93a9f71

Last edited by indes; 11-05-2023 at 09:26 PM.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 06:41 PM   #3052
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/94170...sts/index.html

Quote:
The new Arc & Iris graphics driver version 31.0.101.4952 - which it should be noted is a beta - brings in support for the following games:

The Talos Principle 2
Robocop: Rogue City
Star Ocean II R
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III
Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name
As well as support for The Talos Principle 2, this gets a solid performance boost, with the new driver offering an (up to) 19% increase in average frames per second at 1440p resolution (on High settings).

Returnal (in DX12) witnesses a much bigger uplift, though - an impressive 53% increase in average FPS at 1080p (with 'Epic' ray tracing on).
Can confirm big improvements on my end on the performance side, and my audio issues seem to be resolved.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2023, 07:59 AM   #3053
kcin
Backup Goalie

Exp:

It's been a long time since I've looked at PC hardware or built a system myself but looking to upgrade my laptop to a standalone device.

I want something that can handle three displays + ability to plug in a Switch or something else. Mostly used for productivity (trading, virtual instruction) but also the odd game (not that concerned about peak graphics capability but want some longevity). Also want to start creating my own content so need to be able to stream/record/render but I'm completely new to that world and don't know what I need.

Started poking around MemoryExpress, Newegg, NZXT, Corsair for pre-builts or system config and feeling overwhelmed.

Would a pre-built like this from Corsair be overkill? https://www.corsair.com/us/en/p/gami...-cs-9050074-na

Budget is around $2,500 but fine to go between $2,000 - $3,000 if there are better options higher or lower.

Thanks for any comments/advice in advance.
kcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 08:55 PM   #3054
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Is a splitter like this safe to use? I'm upgrading the mobo with two 8 pin EPS connections but my power supply only has one cable.

AYA 7" 8-Pin EPS-12V Male to Dual 8-Pin EPS-12V Female Y Splitter Cable 18AWG Black https://a.co/d/4Vh2aNd

I've also seen on that takes 4 of the 8 pin and adds a molex.

Edit: I'm getting an Intel i5 13500 with a TDP of 65w so I don't think the second cable is necessary.

Last edited by DownInFlames; 11-09-2023 at 09:18 PM.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 10:25 AM   #3055
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Is a splitter like this safe to use? I'm upgrading the mobo with two 8 pin EPS connections but my power supply only has one cable.

AYA 7" 8-Pin EPS-12V Male to Dual 8-Pin EPS-12V Female Y Splitter Cable 18AWG Black https://a.co/d/4Vh2aNd

I've also seen on that takes 4 of the 8 pin and adds a molex.

Edit: I'm getting an Intel i5 13500 with a TDP of 65w so I don't think the second cable is necessary.
I would check the mobo's manual. Some don't need both connections plugged in. With that CPU you definitely don't need the power from both.
Old 11-11-2023, 05:30 PM   #3056
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcin View Post
It's been a long time since I've looked at PC hardware or built a system myself but looking to upgrade my laptop to a standalone device.

I want something that can handle three displays + ability to plug in a Switch or something else. Mostly used for productivity (trading, virtual instruction) but also the odd game (not that concerned about peak graphics capability but want some longevity). Also want to start creating my own content so need to be able to stream/record/render but I'm completely new to that world and don't know what I need.
I think the cost of the system will be determined by exactly how important gaming is to you, since the GPU is usually the most expensive component. For your multi-display needs and stream encoding, even integrated graphics will often be enough as they now come with support for 3-4 displays and video encoding.

If you're a gamer, at the $2500 budget the best deals I've seen recently have come from Lenovo where you would get a 4080 class GPU (around 50-60% faster than the 4070).

https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/p/deskt...el)/90v7003nus

There's not a Redflagdeals level deal at the moment but I would keep an eye there for Black Friday deals.
accord1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to accord1999 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2023, 04:46 PM   #3057
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thoughts on this bundle I'm considering for Mem Express Black Friday sales?

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/BDL_MM00003502

I'm currently using a i5 8400 and a Z370-A Pro motherboard. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 05:07 PM   #3058
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
Thoughts on this bundle I'm considering for Mem Express Black Friday sales?

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/BDL_MM00003502

I'm currently using a i5 8400 and a Z370-A Pro motherboard. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Link appears to go no where at the moment.
Old 11-17-2023, 06:06 PM   #3059
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

weird - ok. Here's the individual items of the bundle for $679 total.

Intel Core™ i5-13400 Processor:
https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX00123958

MSI PRO Z790-S WIFI Motherboard: https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX00127560

Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB DDR5-5200 Dual Channel Kit (2x 16GB):
https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX00119711
Old 11-17-2023, 07:32 PM   #3060
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Link appears to go no where at the moment.
Yah looks like they've removed that bundle from their page. Wonder if there was an error on the pricing.