Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2018, 11:15 AM   #7001
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

1188 is probably exaggerated for that amount of time/distance. It's could be more than 533 though given your weight.

If you're interested in more accurate data, you'll need to get a heart rate monitor. Also, give Strava your accurate data. Weight. Height. Age. Etc. No lying.

What are you using to connect to Strava?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2018, 11:19 AM   #7002
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Does anybody calculate the calories burned cycling? I'm getting numbers all over the place. One of the main reasons I cycle is to get into shape and lose some weight.

For example, this morning Strava tells me I burned 533 calories. However this website
https://caloriesburnedhq.com/calories-burned-biking/
says I burned 1188.

The numbers in case anybody is curious, I weigh 220 pounds, and spent 1:41 riding in over 28 km. Average speed was 16.8 km/h (Was riding with a novice rider today.)

I'd like to think I burned that many calories...
If I go for a rip up and around nose hill for 1 hour 15 minutes, 20km putting in moderate to heavy effort the entire ride without stops, my HRM says around 1200 calories. Similar weight to you. I think my Garmin GPS usually says around 700 but I trust the HRM more.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2018, 11:21 AM   #7003
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
What are you using to connect to Strava?
I just use my iPhone. Should I run it from my Apple Watch?
Strava had my weight as 95 kg- I have bumped that up to 100.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:24 AM   #7004
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Definitely try running it through your watch. The article haberac posted is right in that it won't be 100% accurate either but it will be better than no heart rate. The more data points they have to work with the more accurate the result.
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2018, 11:29 AM   #7005
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Bike to School Day Today

Today was Bike to school day. We did a bike train in my neighborhood for the first time. We had probably 30 kids all ride around the neighborhood together, along with a couple of CPS on bikes. Probably 100 kids total that rode to school.

This was my 3rd year organizing the event, and it was a ton of fun.

On another note, I heard reports of a cyclist hit by a car in Braeside in the later morning, but can't find any reports online. Anyone on here, hear anything?
The Following User Says Thank You to gasman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2018, 02:29 PM   #7006
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I took the kids in today as well. I really should more often than just this day.

Only one mention on Twitter about a hit-and-run in Braeside this morning. CPS has found the vehicle and are investigating. That's all I've got.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:32 AM   #7007
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

almost had a deer run into me this morning on the bow river pathway on the downhill by the baseball diamonds.

it was about 100 feet away from the spot where i came across a guy last fall who had hit a deer in the dark
Old 06-06-2018, 07:44 AM   #7008
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had two separate Mallard duck couples on my pathways this morning, plenty of heads up to see them and I said "Hi ducks" as I rode by.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:43 AM   #7009
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
almost had a deer run into me this morning on the bow river pathway on the downhill by the baseball diamonds.

it was about 100 feet away from the spot where i came across a guy last fall who had hit a deer in the dark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I had two separate Mallard duck couples on my pathways this morning, plenty of heads up to see them and I said "Hi ducks" as I rode by.

At least they weren't the death defying squirrels. So unpredictable. lol
Old 06-06-2018, 09:08 AM   #7010
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have been biking to work for a little over a month now, and I have some questions about etiquette and procedure.

Say I'm on a two way, one lane each way, road and come to a red light with a car in my direction stopped. Do I pull up beside him along the curb, or do I get behind him? Does it change if there are more cars stopped? Like can I pass all of them along the side and wait at the front?

And what if there are no cars and I come to a red light. Sometimes I'll wait by the curb so that cars that come up behind me can pass and make a right hand turn on the red light. Buy should I be in the lane itself on this occassion?

Also, I know it is a contentious issue for many when cyclists run stop signs, but is it not fair to sometimes roll through or run a stop sign if you don't impede any traffic by just going through?
Old 06-06-2018, 09:18 AM   #7011
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do what is safe. I'll typically take the lane, and hold it until I pass the intersection and can safely move to the right. I don't filter up the curb lane unless there is lots of room and I won't be impeding traffic when the light changes. It's just to dangerous if some yahoo thinks he owns the space when the light changes and overtakes you.

If there are no cars I'll still take my appropriate lane. By sitting at the curb, say the light goes green, and a driver is anticipating as he approaches from a distance and wanting to turn right. He comes up with speed as you start to peddle forward. Boom. Collision.

If it is a stop sign on my normal route, and I know it is not busy ever I slow down to under 10, make really sure no one is around and then roll through. I know it's not legal, but its one of those things that is a minor annoyance and I'm not harming anyone. If it's a 4 way that regularly has traffic I'll always stop.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2018, 09:59 AM   #7012
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great advice by Fuzz. Always in the middle of the lane at a light. The drivers will see you there. Not so much if you're on the side.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2018, 10:25 AM   #7013
BurningYears
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Great advice by Fuzz. Always in the middle of the lane at a light. The drivers will see you there. Not so much if you're on the side.

Occasionally I will make room for cars to turn right at a red light but usually I will be in the middle of the lane before I move over. Like to think I am extending a olive branch to give bicycles a good name... lol
Old 06-06-2018, 10:27 AM   #7014
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I stop at a red light i move over to the left side of the right lane so cars can turn right. Once the light goes green I will move back to the right.

The advice Fuzz gave is spot on.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2018, 10:34 AM   #7015
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks everyone!
Old 06-06-2018, 12:03 PM   #7016
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

While I know it is legal to filter at a light I usually never do it. Anything to not potentially piss of a driver that doesn't know the rules and could be motivated to become a threat to you. Following enough bike folks on twitter you see plenty of situations that become dangerous even when the cyclist is following the rules of the road.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2018, 12:14 PM   #7017
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I really don't like the anti-car segment of the cycling community. The people who use the terms "drivists" or go out of their way to ride in the middle of the road "because it's our right and drivists need to get used to it."

When I'm on the road, I try to be as courteous as possible and make room for cars to turn. Hug the side as close as I safely can. Smile and/or wave when they wait for you to go by before turning. We're all out there trying to get where we're going. Like BurningYears and Bigtime said, do the little things that will prevent a stressed driver from getting pissed off is easy enough and adds a bit of goodwill between drivers and cyclists.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2018, 12:15 PM   #7018
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had never heard of filter before, the actual term. To be honest I assumed it was a fuzz spelling error lol.
Old 06-06-2018, 12:24 PM   #7019
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
I had never heard of filter before, the actual term. To be honest I assumed it was a fuzz spelling error lol.

Hey!
Old 06-06-2018, 12:51 PM   #7020
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

personally, if there is sufficieint enough sopace between the curb and cars stopped for a light i will move up tot eh front. soetimes i find vehicles are too close, so then i wait behind them. my favourties are thsoe special snowflakes (usually driving a jacked up truck), that will pass you and then tighten up tot eh right hand curb lane. those are the donkeys that i want to pass on the left to get in front again - butas a cyclist, you will never win this type of game.

when i was younger, i used to run red lights when folks were waiting, but as i got older i realized how that action polarizes drivers opinions of cyclists, so i no longer do that.
Closed Thread