Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2023, 01:53 PM   #401
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Huberdeau was a post away from assisting on the winning goal on that last PP...on a shot no less

its a fine line.
Old 02-07-2023, 01:54 PM   #402
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
I don't like it because I think the essence of the game is using a stick to play the puck. Making the primary way you score your points in the game achievable through other means, doesn't equate to what is the fundamental skillset of the game. Why not allow directing the puck in with your hand?

I'd ban all skate redirects and kicks if it were up to me. You want to score it has to be done playing hockey.
you can score off your ass though
Old 02-07-2023, 03:39 PM   #403
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't like it because I think the essence of the game is using a stick to play the puck. Making the primary way you score your points in the game achievable through other means, doesn't equate to what is the fundamental skillset of the game. Why not allow directing the puck in with your hand?

I'd ban all skate redirects and kicks if it were up to me. You want to score it has to be done playing hockey.
So a Stone slapper goes in accidentally off Lucic's foot when his back is turned and it's no goal? What about his shin pad?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 03:44 PM   #404
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
So a Stone slapper goes in accidentally off Lucic's foot when his back is turned and it's no goal? What about his shin pad?

What about the goalie let out a rebound and hit Lucic's butt?
Old 02-07-2023, 03:48 PM   #405
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of Stone slappers...I know its old school but why not setup his shot on PP2? its basically unstoppable. Then if teams start cheating and trying to block it (Ouch) it opens up other stuff.
Old 02-07-2023, 04:08 PM   #406
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Outcoached again. Woooo!
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 04:12 PM   #407
Owen15
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Not going to sort through the many pages in the PGT. Hard enough loss, I suspect I know what I’ll see.

My comment is solely around the two Trouba fights.

I’m sitting watching replays of them. How the frack can they call additional roughing / instigators on those fights. Trouba had his gloves off looking for anyone who would go before either Dube or Tanev engaged. Like wtf?
Owen15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Owen15 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2023, 04:16 PM   #408
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen15 View Post
Not going to sort through the many pages in the PGT. Hard enough loss, I suspect I know what I’ll see.

My comment is solely around the two Trouba fights.

I’m sitting watching replays of them. How the frack can they call additional roughing / instigators on those fights. Trouba had his gloves off looking for anyone who would go before either Dube or Tanev engaged. Like wtf?
Yeah the Tanev one especially was crazy - where is the roughing call?
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 04:59 PM   #409
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
That's a totally different thing than directing the puck in intentionally. Of course the puck is going to bounce in randomly off players sometimes. Not at all what I was talking about. Allowing any intentional directing of the puck into the goal with anything other than a stick should be illegal. IMO.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 06:09 PM   #410
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Determining "intention" is a losing battle from the start

You can't really know with how fast this game is
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2023, 06:30 PM   #411
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's a totally different thing than directing the puck in intentionally. Of course the puck is going to bounce in randomly off players sometimes. Not at all what I was talking about. Allowing any intentional directing of the puck into the goal with anything other than a stick should be illegal. IMO.
So that’s now leading to some sort of determination if the guy angled it in on purpose or if his foot just went that way.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 06:31 PM   #412
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Mangiapane's goal - once again - demonstrated how silly and subjective the rule is. They could easily have labelled it a kick, and they could easily have labelled it a deflection. WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE?

Just allow all goals off of skates already.

I have never in my life seen a hockey player purposely kick at a puck in a manner that was dangerous to other players, so what is the point of the rule as it stands? Just count them all, which will have the added benefit of fewer video reviews (which absolutely no one enjoys)
Agreed. Just let players kick, deflect, knock it in with their feet. The league likes goals right? Take away the grey area and just allow it.

For people who say it's too dangerous, that's nonsense. No player in their right mind willingly elects to use their skates to hit a puck into the net when their stick is a viable option. Skates are a very last resort when the stick is tied up and not available. I'm fairly certain the list of injuries resulting from players demonstrating kicking motions of any kind is extremely short.

Let kicked goals go in, remove the debate about it.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 06:45 PM   #413
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Minny lost to the Yotes in regulation

Point on the road in New York is obviously a win for the Flames on the night vs. them. People need to stop looking at the Avs as the team to beat
So far math says they are.

But if I was betting I’d say Vegas and Minnesota are the teams the Flames might have a chance catching.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 07:20 PM   #414
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
So far math says they are.

But if I was betting I’d say Vegas and Minnesota are the teams the Flames might have a chance catching.
I was talking about last night...Calgary gained on Minny with a harder matchup

honestly the Avs are irrelevant to me, they will be a Central team so the Flames and them aren't competing
Old 02-07-2023, 07:22 PM   #415
Camronius
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Agreed. Just let players kick, deflect, knock it in with their feet. The league likes goals right? Take away the grey area and just allow it.

For people who say it's too dangerous, that's nonsense. No player in their right mind willingly elects to use their skates to hit a puck into the net when their stick is a viable option. Skates are a very last resort when the stick is tied up and not available. I'm fairly certain the list of injuries resulting from players demonstrating kicking motions of any kind is extremely short.

Let kicked goals go in, remove the debate about it.
If the skate blade stays on the ice, good goal. That removes the danger from it and removes any decision making from the ref.
Camronius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 07:24 PM   #416
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched the MSG highlights. Sam Rosen great with the call and Dave Maloney with lots of praise for the Flames.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2023, 08:00 PM   #417
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty much every possible option suggested here is better than the current "distinct kicking motion" rule.

If it has to be an ambiguous standard, why not move that ambiguous standard to something like "dangerous kicking motion". Which I can't define any better than distinct kicking motion, but I could probably say "I know it when I see it".

The problem is there probably wouldn't be a single existing example to demonstrate the wrong side of the line...which really just shows how unnecessary the current rule is.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2023, 08:12 PM   #418
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Speaking of Stone slappers...I know its old school but why not setup his shot on PP2? its basically unstoppable. Then if teams start cheating and trying to block it (Ouch) it opens up other stuff.
When Stone misses the net, which happens quite a bit, the puck usually gets out of the zone, and Stone isn't great at keeping pucks in on the PP. I think the Flames figured that they can create a more quality scoring opportunity than the Stone slap-shot closer to the net.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 09:14 PM   #419
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
When Stone misses the net, which happens quite a bit, the puck usually gets out of the zone, and Stone isn't great at keeping pucks in on the PP. I think the Flames figured that they can create a more quality scoring opportunity than the Stone slap-shot closer to the net.
well I figure they are wrong based on how things have gone...PP2 why not?
Old 02-07-2023, 09:46 PM   #420
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
well I figure they are wrong based on how things have gone...PP2 why not?
I'm all for changing it up, but I would like to see Weegar there if Stone doesn't work out. Then again I actually liked Phillips on PP2 as well, so I'm rooting for another call-up. I also think that Lindholm is being wasted as a net front presence on PP1, so I wouldn't be against them trying Mangiapane there instead of one of the forwards.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote