Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2023, 09:52 AM   #361
JohnnyBeGood
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I thought Mangi's effort counted as a goal because it went in off of Halak's skate (clearly visible in 1 overhead angle)... are you allowed to kick the puck if the goalie then deflects it into his net?
JohnnyBeGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 09:57 AM   #362
Ashes
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Agreed except the icing call was against Mangiapane. The bad call with Rasmus was an offside call which ruined a good scoring chance.
Ahh yes that's right, good times.
Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 10:06 AM   #363
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Tanev is better at D than Gio was back then. Gio put up a ton more points though.
Gio was better in the first 10 minutes and Tanev is better in the last 50. That's the only explanation.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 10:13 AM   #364
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Gio was better in the first 10 minutes and Tanev is better in the last 50. That's the only explanation.
Or Markstrom got the yips after getting shelled by the Oilers last playoffs.
Old 02-07-2023, 10:49 AM   #365
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mangiapane's goal - once again - demonstrated how silly and subjective the rule is. They could easily have labelled it a kick, and they could easily have labelled it a deflection. WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE?

Just allow all goals off of skates already.

I have never in my life seen a hockey player purposely kick at a puck in a manner that was dangerous to other players, so what is the point of the rule as it stands? Just count them all, which will have the added benefit of fewer video reviews (which absolutely no one enjoys)
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2023, 11:06 AM   #366
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
Please. 70 point seasons and nearly 40 goals in that era was pretty high output. Gaudreau, Tkachuk and Lindholm were among the highest scoring players in the league last year. Your narrative doesn't add up.

This Flames team isn't the same as last year, but there's plenty of room for PPG and beyond output provided the best players play like the best players - like they did last season. This year, our elite forward is playing like a second line player.

Personally, I think the staff has at made a decent effort to mix things up at various points in the year, and given the most recent changes to the PP and second line, seems to be more than willing to experiment in hopes of finding an extra gear.

Last night had its moments, but I saw a team that was highly engaged and for the most part, committed to playing this system. If they play like this more often than not, they will make the playoffs and possibly be a tough out considering you won't be playing 3-3 which just doesn't gel with this group either.

Iggy’s team leading 67 points in 2005-06 was pretty high output when Thornton and Jagr had 125 and 123?

Ok, I guess you’re right

Yeah, one year Sutter let Gaudreau, Tkachuk and Lindholm do their thing, but it very much was contingent on the combination of them doing the right things on the defensive side of the puck, and having a great transition, and a ton of rush chances. Those +/- up above 50 were significant achievements. Having a line play a complete game like that, and be the best in the league, is unique.

This year, we all see a lot of dump ins. There is no question that the style of play is coming from the coach.

They are a stretch to make the playoffs. Too many costly mistakes
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2023, 11:09 AM   #367
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Well that was a heck of an entertaining game last night. If there was a game that showcased everything that encapsulates NHL hockey, then that would probably be the example to use as it had absolutely everything. The fans in attendance definitely got their moneys worth from that one without a doubt.

From a results standpoint, obviously it didn't fall in our favor, but all we deserved was a point anyway because the team was absolutely outclassed 3 on 3. Actually, now that I think about it, the team only got the point because 1 line showed up and produced all of the team's goals at even strength.

If this team wants to make the playoffs, they'll need consistently better efforts from the rest of the group. Backlund's line shift after shift, game after game are the only ones you can truly count on, everyone else is like a complete shot in the dark. You never know what to expect from them on any given night which isn't going to cut it with how much ground this team needs to make up.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2023, 11:27 AM   #368
bobbylouie
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

I have never in my life seen a hockey player purposely kick at a puck in a manner that was dangerous to other players
Because it's not legal to for the purpose of scoring a goal. If it suddenly was, it would become part of the strategy and players would be kicking at the puck near the crease all the time. Even if it was unintentional to injure somebody, every time a loose puck came near the goalie in the crease (and his glove on the ice), it would be foolish not to be kicking at. It's a recipe for disaster.
bobbylouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 11:31 AM   #369
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya I don't like the idea of kicking the puck.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 11:32 AM   #370
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbylouie View Post
Because it's not legal to for the purpose of scoring a goal. If it suddenly was, it would become part of the strategy and players would be kicking at the puck near the crease all the time. Even if it was unintentional to injure somebody, every time a loose puck came near the goalie in the crease (and his glove on the ice), it would be foolish not to be kicking at. It's a recipe for disaster.
Not a chance. No one kicks with their skate. Ever.

And again, all you have to do is make it a major penalty to kick in a dangerous manner.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 11:32 AM   #371
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

People kick the puck all over the ice now I don't think it would change much
Old 02-07-2023, 11:35 AM   #372
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The WHL has allowed kicking for 5-6 years, no incident.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 11:42 AM   #373
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Mangiapane's goal - once again - demonstrated how silly and subjective the rule is. They could easily have labelled it a kick, and they could easily have labelled it a deflection. WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE?

Just allow all goals off of skates already.

I have never in my life seen a hockey player purposely kick at a puck in a manner that was dangerous to other players, so what is the point of the rule as it stands? Just count them all, which will have the added benefit of fewer video reviews (which absolutely no one enjoys)
And just make a "dangerous play" rule like in soccer if that's a concern.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 11:43 AM   #374
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Deflecting it in with the foot is legal, and moving your foot into position in the crease to do so is legal. This is no different.
Old 02-07-2023, 11:50 AM   #375
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

You guys might want to go watch soccer instead if you want puck kicking goals.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2023, 11:53 AM   #376
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
People kick the puck all over the ice now I don't think it would change much
A defending player can theoretically kick a puck away from crossing their own goal line. Reproduce that exact same motion but from an attacking player, and it’s not allowed. The rule makes no sense.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2023, 12:01 PM   #377
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Shooting it with your stick is still the better option 95% of the time...allowing some kicks and not others is stupid

Just allow them and be done with it IMO
Old 02-07-2023, 12:05 PM   #378
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

When was the last time Markstrom got a win? Has been a while. Regulation or otherwise.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 12:05 PM   #379
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do I want them over other goals? nah. Should they be allowed? No reason not to.
Old 02-07-2023, 12:08 PM   #380
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANFLAMESFAN View Post

That point moved us up in the standings tonight.

So I would say, that yeah, a point this time of year can cut it.

It actually didn’t.

Yeah, we got a point but lost a game in hand.

We average a point per game, we’ll end up out of the playoffs.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post: