Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2023, 10:03 PM   #221
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I watched the game a bit later, and the Sportsnet Now feed was VHS quality, despite my internet connection being great. Anyone else experience the same?
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 10:06 PM   #222
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
There’s a reason we suck in OT. Their entire MO is to throw pucks on net, and in OT that’s the last thing you want to do. It’s SO much easier to generate high danger scoring chances 3 on 3. There’s absolutely no need to chuck low danger shots on net when you can generate a 2 on 1 if you can beat one guy or pick up a missed shot from the other team.

Won’t matter in playoffs though. I bet we win half those games that went to OT this year if it was a playoff game.
There was an article about Huberdeau may be one of the best 3 on 3 player in the world that was posted on here before (an article basically taking a shot at his 5 on 5 play). We park his ass on the bench in OT generally.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 10:06 PM   #223
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kinda glad they lost. Got rag dolled all night . The dubes got it, Lucia got dummied numerous times, no answer, nothing.

Lucky refs gifted them a point, no way mangiapanes goal typically counts.

Am amazed how weak this sutter team is.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 10:07 PM   #224
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
There was an article about Huberdeau May be the best 3 on 3 player in the world that was posted on here before (an article basically taking a shot at his 5 on 5 play). We park his ass on the bench in OT generally.
There were a few games where he was played in OT and he played like ass. That is why I think Sutter started benching him for OT.
Old 02-06-2023, 10:08 PM   #225
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Kinda glad they lost. Got rag dolled all night . The dubes got it, Lucia got dummied numerous times, no answer, nothing.

And the worst take of the night goes to...
Old 02-06-2023, 10:08 PM   #226
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
Oddly, I'd love to play Seattle

They might be the least daunting #1 seed in decades
The number one seed in the west in 2018/2019 was a pushover.
Old 02-06-2023, 10:09 PM   #227
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
There were a few games where he was played in OT and he played like ass. That is why I think Sutter started benching him for OT.
Hard to fault Sutter for his decisions, OT is where we excel.
Old 02-06-2023, 10:09 PM   #228
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t know what it takes to make the playoffs, say 95 points? The current pace won’t do it, pretty sure of that.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 10:09 PM   #229
Ferarri
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Read an article today on nhl.com in the format of a Q & A with Tre. I was pleasantly surprised with his assessment of the team and where they are in the standings. Said they need to do some careful calculation to determine if they will be buyers at the deadline and the next few weeks are critical assessment points. From the sounds of it he had some reservations spending on this team as they have been underwhelming to this point. I personally like the reserved caution and it was nice to hear from management that he feels the same way.

Of course saying one thing and doing another is something that could happen. Who knows if he still calls the shots or if external influences tell him to pull the trigger on a trade.

This team is what it is and that is average. Spending picks and packaging players from the farm is not wise in my opinion. Even if we make it to the playoffs I don’t think many of us feel that we will be pushing for a Stanley cup. Sure anything can happen but the regular season is a great measuring stick and we clearly aren’t in that upper echelon. I hope management really looks hard at how this team is constructed and realizes that perhaps going “all in” is a very dangerous play with this group.

On the surface we are lacking game breakers/superstars, have sub par goaltending and are prone to mental lapses and mistakes. The D core isn’t as strong as one would have hoped and the absence of Kylington is telling. I realize it’s a weak division and we have plenty of opportunities to capitalize and make the dance but I’m firmly in the camp of not wasting assets on this group if their current play stays the same. They would have to go on a real run over the next few weeks for me to be intrigued or even entertain the idea of trading for additional support.
Ferarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 10:11 PM   #230
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
And the worst take of the night goes to...
Whatever man. You’re the glass half full dude round here we get it. We applaud you for the blind faith keep it up.

This team sucks, got shown that they aren’t even tough.

Please cherry pick some stats to make yourself feel better.

Flames are ‘good if we only pay attention to this limited subset of games that fits my narrative’ lol

Or , but flames have a soft schedule so should make the playoffs and good because of it, garbage
Old 02-06-2023, 10:12 PM   #231
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Whatever man. You’re the glass half full dude round here we get it. We applaud you for the blind faith keep it up.

This team sucks, got shown that they aren’t even tough.

Please cherry pick some stats to make yourself feel better.

Flames are ‘good if we only pay attention to this limited subset of games that fits my narrative’ lol
"refs gifted the Flames a point"

was an absolutely terrible take if you actually watched the game

You accuse me of blind faith and post this blind negativity lol

Rangers tied the game on an icing call that shouldn't have been icing, Tanev instigator? taking back a penalty called on the ice after reviewing for a major but still giving Lucic a penalty for the scrum.

Refs didn't gift the Flames anything...league actually got a call right for once as Mangiapane didn't kick his foot at all (you are allowed to deflect)

Last edited by dino7c; 02-06-2023 at 10:15 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2023, 10:13 PM   #232
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
"refs gifted the Flames a point"

was an absolutely terrible take if you actually watched the game
Mangiapane goal doesn’t count 9/10 times. They were lucky on that. Outside of that I have no qualms saying that the better team won tonight
Old 02-06-2023, 10:15 PM   #233
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Mangiapane goal doesn’t count 9/10 times. They were lucky on that. Outside of that I have no qualms saying that the better team won tonight
The fact that Mangiapane’s goal counted just pissed me off about Coleman last year. I was amazed that they counted that goal. His skate not only completed the kicking motion, it was off the ice at the end. What a joke of a league, just eliminated the rule if you can’t have any reasonable consistency.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2023, 10:16 PM   #234
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Honestly, I cannot understand any fan would be glad his team lost, seriously. I can understand some fans don't give a hoot if they lost anymore, but happy that they lost?
Old 02-06-2023, 10:16 PM   #235
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The fact that Mangiapane’s goal counted just pissed me off about Coleman last year. I was amazed that they counted that goal. His skate not only completed the kicking motion, it was off the ice at the end. What a joke of a league, just eliminated the rule if you can’t have any reasonable consistency.
Exactly. The nhl has no clues.
Old 02-06-2023, 10:18 PM   #236
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

you must not watch a lot of hockey because they count those all the time...see Tampa against the Flames a few games back

the Coleman goal not counting was the anomaly

gifted a point is beyond ridiculous...especially since the Rangers tied it on a bad call, they made the Flames put the wrong players on the ice to top it off
Old 02-06-2023, 10:19 PM   #237
NewFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Exiting game. But there are lots of holes in our game including coaching.
Don't understand why Kadri was there in OT after he had arrived late to NY from ASG. And why with Mangi and Zadarov?
4th line is useless and kept in D zone a lot. Didn't bring energy, didn't bring D, just nothing. I would put 3 rookies Pelletier-Ruzicka-Duehr. At least they may score a goal here or there.
Toffoli is so bad at clearing the puck. Can't remember a single great clearance from him.
Huber and Weegars contracts were too soon. They are barely earning half their salaries.
Man, Markstrom reacts too much in some cases. Too much move, too much slide on the ice.
Lindholm is not playing well or he is not used properly. I think Pelletier-Lindholm-Dube might work well.
NewFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 10:19 PM   #238
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteowl View Post
Honestly, I cannot understand any fan would be glad his team lost, seriously. I can understand some fans don't give a hoot if they lost anymore, but happy that they lost?
Because the team no longer makes sense to me. Lucic has one purpose on this team, he got rag dolled, his teammates got rag dolled, yet he didn’t throw a single hit. He got promoted with more mins for it.

There is no identity. I seriously thought sutter was being sarcastic by throwing Lucic out there more.
Old 02-06-2023, 10:19 PM   #239
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
you must not watch a lot of hockey because they count those all the time...see Tampa against the Flames a few games back

the Coleman goal not counting was the anomaly

gifted a point is beyond ridiculous...especially since the Rangers tied it on a bad call, they made the Flames put the wrong players on the ice to top it off
This must be the first hockey game you have ever watched if you think they count those all the time. I never said they were gifted a point, I said the Mangiapane call was a bad call IMO.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2023, 10:20 PM   #240
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This must be the first hockey game you have ever watched if you think they count those all the time.
Tampa vs Calgary 4 games ago