Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2022, 08:44 PM   #1421
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
I get it that a gear grinder is the guy doing the speed limit in the left lane. He should definitely pull into the right. On the long weekend though, I saw a Cadillac pull up to a guy, passed him on the right and then back over to the left with what looked like inches to spare. Is it cool to endanger everyone to prove a point? Such a dick move, I was speechless.
Anyone who purposely comes within a car length to someone else at speed is a loser, no matter what.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2022, 08:44 PM   #1422
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
After returning from a week long trip to the Okanagan I have a bevy of ground gears

1. How is it that an $100,000 Mercedes SUV doesn't come standard with cruise control? At least that's the only reason I can come up with for having to pass the same GLS a dozen times between Canmore and Calgary. My cruise was set at 125, and he seemed to bounce between 110-140 at random intervals

2. Why is it that some drivers are unwilling to drive faster than 110 in the left lane until I end up passing them on the right, and then suddenly they're riding my ass at 125? Are they incapable of speeding unless someone shows them how? Or are they just so insecure in their manhood that the thought of someone actually passing them sends them over the edge?

3. It's madding how all it takes is one timid driver towing a trailer to completely ruin an otherwise nice drive for dozens of people by refusing to drive faster than 70 km/h through the mountains. That is of course until they hit a passing lane and gun it to 100. I just can't comprehend the lack of self awareness to not be bothered by the mile long line of traffic behind you

Lastly, why is BC so much better at setting speed limits than Alberta? The Coquihalla is a winding highway with lots of elevation changes and a 120 km/h upper limit, while the QE2 is completely flat and straight for 90% of it's run but it's locked at 110. And HWY 1 through Banff has extra wide medians with millions of dollars worth of wildlife mitigation, yet is stuck at 90 km/h. A few hours down the road though in BC the same road is single lane with no wildlife fences or crossings, yet the speed is 100 km/h around Revelstoke. It seems to me that BC highways are designed for optimal traffic flow while Alberta is more concerned with creating honeypots for cops
Lol. I made a similar post with the same complaints when I made that drive last month.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 09:54 PM   #1423
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I'm a big Kate Bush fan but I would be happier if the internet hadn't discovered her recently, or maybe if people used any of the other great songs she's recorded in the past 40+ years on their Tik Toks and Insta stories.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2022, 10:18 PM   #1424
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Lol! I bitch about this all the time. Especially in residential neighbourhoods.

I call them the '40ers.'

The limit is 50 or 60? They do 40.

Playground Zone? You better believe they're doing 40.

"This is my speed. This is The Way."

Crawling through normal roads and burning through Playground Zones.
That’s because it’s the sensible speed for residential areas. It keeps collisions below the 30 km death zone, and it recognizes that school zones are not higher incidents of accidents. It also is a natural speed on roads with cars parked on either sides and when viewed from the cyclist pedestrian domain is much more comfortable (noise and speed delta) than 40.

30/40/50 makes no sense. I refuse to participate in the ridiculousness of that system. 40km residential.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2022, 12:53 PM   #1425
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post

3. It's madding how all it takes is one timid driver towing a trailer to completely ruin an otherwise nice drive for dozens of people by refusing to drive faster than 70 km/h through the mountains. That is of course until they hit a passing lane and gun it to 100. I just can't comprehend the lack of self awareness to not be bothered by the mile long line of traffic behind you
This one absolutely kills me. I've even had it with regular cars...60kph through gentle mountain curves and then flooring it to 120 on every straight (ie. tough to pass). In the summer. On a 2 lane highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Anyone who purposely comes within a car length to someone else at speed is a loser, no matter what.
People who scream up to left lane dawdlers and wait until the last second to slam on their brakes. Like...the speed differential isn't so obvious you could click off the cruise and coast up to the back of them?

It even happens to me when I'm actively passing in the left lane at 130+. I usually knock it back to 125 and take my sweet time finishing the pass, though it's hard to resist the urge to just make a moving roadblock.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 12:59 PM   #1426
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
That’s because it’s the sensible speed for residential areas. It keeps collisions below the 30 km death zone, and it recognizes that school zones are not higher incidents of accidents. It also is a natural speed on roads with cars parked on either sides and when viewed from the cyclist pedestrian domain is much more comfortable (noise and speed delta) than 40.

30/40/50 makes no sense. I refuse to participate in the ridiculousness of that system. 40km residential.
This. I'm more of a 35/45 guy (pg zone vs other), unless I see kids out an about anywhere then I'll be even more cautious.

I do find another version of this silly: people who rip through construction zones at 75, but stay at 75 afterwards, too (in an 80).
Old 08-07-2022, 01:16 PM   #1427
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I'm a big Kate Bush fan but I would be happier if the internet hadn't discovered her recently, or maybe if people used any of the other great songs she's recorded in the past 40+ years on their Tik Toks and Insta stories.
I think it’s great when an artist crosses generations, however that happens. My 15 year old step-daughter is listening to the Smiths and Kate Bush.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2022, 01:33 PM   #1428
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Okay, I'm going to let you in on a little secret that the Government doesnt want you to know about and it drives mechanics crazy....

Dont tell anyone...okay?

Whether you're doing 30...or 40...or 50...

This is a secret! Nobody can know!

But on the floor...to the left...just a little, not all the way, but its on the left.

Its like the SCRAM button or AZ5 of a Soviet Nuclear Reactor.

Its a big pedal, but people have missed it, Doctors hate it and the Police dont want you to know its there. You just hit it and everything comes to a stop almost instantaneously.

Even at wild speeds of 30, 40 or even a mind-bogglingly insane speed like 50.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 01:40 PM   #1429
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Okay, I'm going to let you in on a little secret that the Government doesnt want you to know about and it drives mechanics crazy....

Dont tell anyone...okay?

But on the floor...to the left...just a little, not all the way, but its on the left.

Its a big pedal, but people have missed it, Doctors hate it and the Police dont want you to know its there. You just hit it and everything comes to a stop almost instantaneously.

I guess it depends on your definition of instantaneous.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2022, 01:42 PM   #1430
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Dont tell anyone...okay?

But you like a sucker slow to 30 in school zones. Why would you do that. You going to let the Man tell you how to drive?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 01:50 PM   #1431
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Well it's all due to Stranger Things and was used in an iconic scene in the series, one of your favourite artists got some exposure to a whole new generation of people, who are celebrating her snog, maybe they'll listen to more. Don't gate seep music, you can avoid tiktok and insta stories easily
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 01:51 PM   #1432
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
I guess it depends on your definition of instantaneous.

Those stopping distances look way too long. On the consumer reports website, for 2021 vehicles, they found the average stopping distance at 60MPH for all vehicles was 132 feet. The sportscar category averaged 120 feet and the large SUV category was the worst at 143 feet.

Source: https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...s-a2960086475/
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2022, 02:18 PM   #1433
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

100 meters to think and stop at 110 KM/H… umm yeah ok

Go look how long 100 meters is . I could put my feet into the ground like in the Flintstones and stop the car in 100 meters
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 02:21 PM   #1434
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But you like a sucker slow to 30 in school zones. Why would you do that. You going to let the Man tell you how to drive?
Yes. Because 'The Man' has the singular powers granted to him to give me a ticket.

And quite frankly, I think you're missing a key point here.

Forcing you to slow from 50 to 30 also does a very minor but important and singular thing.

It makes you actively pay attention.

Just setting it and forgetting it at 40 could just as easily mean they're just not paying attention. Which is the whole point of Playground Zones.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 08-07-2022, 02:23 PM   #1435
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post

Go look how long 100 meters is . I could put my feet into the ground like in the Flintstones and stop the car in 100 meters
Yeah, its like they made that graph with a car with 4-wheel Drum brakes or its only method of braking is a parachute.

I havent tried it but I drive a 2020 SUV and I'd bet at 50 it stops way, way faster than that.

Old 08-07-2022, 02:41 PM   #1436
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I think it’s great when an artist crosses generations, however that happens. My 15 year old step-daughter is listening to the Smiths and Kate Bush.
Sure, but could it hurt to use Babooshka or The Big Sky in their videos? It's a little much.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 02:50 PM   #1437
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

At 110km/h a hundred meters is under three and a half seconds long.

So I don't know if I should think that's high or low in this context.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 02:51 PM   #1438
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

But all this car stopping talk has made me watch New Zealand auto safety commercials again

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2022, 02:58 PM   #1439
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

This is a pretty common misconception, you really cant. The human brain evolved to estimate and handle running speeds. Travelling by car makes people overestimate their abilities

Let's say you have average reaction times and register the need to brake in your head to actually putting your foot on the brake in 3/4 second, 110km/hr is 30m per second, so in one second going 110 you have almost traversed 1/ 3 the distance before even starting to slow down. There are tons of articles or YouTube videos you can watch that go into far more detail, but the tl;dr is that people are notoriously bad at estimating how much time and space they actually have in a vehicle
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stone hands For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2022, 03:02 PM   #1440
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone hands View Post
This is a pretty common misconception, you really cant. The human brain evolved to estimate and handle running speeds. Travelling by car makes people overestimate their abilities

Let's say you have average reaction times and register the need to brake in your head to actually putting your foot on the brake in 3/4 second, 110km/hr is 30m per second, so in one second going 110 you have almost traversed 1/ 3 the distance before even starting to slow down. There are tons of articles or YouTube videos you can watch that go into far more detail, but the tl;dr is that people are notoriously bad at estimating how much time and space they actually have in a vehicle
Yeah but I'm a really good driver so that probably doesn't apply to me
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Party Elephant For This Useful Post: