Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2022, 04:20 PM   #2221
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Can confirm that the arrivecan app is absolute voodoo to my elderly parents.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 04:26 PM   #2222
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
Can confirm that the arrivecan app is absolute voodoo to my elderly parents.
The ArriveCAN app is a bit of an outlier though.

I've had places where it worked just fine and other places where it might as well be Alien Technology.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 04:39 PM   #2223
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

The requirements to have an contact lens fitting at Costco when buying lenses RGMG.

You're required to have a valid prescription from an optometrist (1 yr or less) for starters. Said optometrist gives you a full 30 min exam to grant you that prescription.

You then bring that prescription to Costco who then give you a similar full 30min workup before they'll sell you lenses. I know there's probably a regulatory body behind all of this, and it's probably not Costco's fault.

I'd happily buy from my optometrist, but the price is about 50% more - unless I use some mail in rebates that have a 40% chance of working.

The online sites used to be good to buy lenses from, but consolidation of a few sites means that deals are far and few between now.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2022, 04:49 PM   #2224
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I think you misunderstand.

If you read my earlier posts you would see that I actually empathize with their struggles with technology and the requirements thrust upon them to quickly adapt to a changing world. It's actually very understandable given that many lived much of their life without everyday computer use, and being patient with them without judging the fact that tech language might not register with them is important.

It's when you visit your parents and their relatives/siblings and you feel like you've suddenly become the calm and rational one that it becomes a little alarming. I know many are in the same boat with this.

Seeing your parents acting stubborn, refusing help or support when they could use it, and going back to unhealthy pattens that add stress to their lives sucks to be a witness to, especially when you're without the sense that you can help them to help themselves.

If retirees don't want their age held against them (which I know is common), they can help their case firstly by not using their age as an excuse for their sometimes detrimental/dysfunctional ways of living and dealing with stress.

There are people who pick up new hobbies, learn instruments, or become authors late in their lives, so learning some stress management, adopting a healthier lifestyle or even working on their communication skills isn't an impossibility either.

The easiest path to take is giving in to stubbornness and cynicism and calling it an 'age thing'. The downside to that is parents that pass away never learning to have a heart to heart with their kids or grandkids, suffering from health ailments without anybody knowing, and only knowing the same arguments and stresses until their time runs out.

It's not about younger generations hating on the elderly. It's younger people wanting them to be happier and healthier but frustrated at their lack of willingness to do much to help themselves.
I think it's true that many older people get themselves in a rut, develop unhealthy habits like lack of exercise, overeating, drinking, smoking, become grumpy, cynical, etc., but their unhealthy lifestyle usually catches up to them and they die younger than normal. And I know you would like to help them, but you can't. Their habits are too ingrained.

On the other hand, there are many of those who are doing their best to cope with the ailments that affect them in their old age, and are living happy, healthy, and successful lives. Their life may not be as exciting as you would expect. For them, sitting quietly and reading a book, watching a good movie, or taking a walk around the block may be their excitement for the day. And that's alright. If they have led a good life, and have minimal regrets, then who is to say they should start writing a book, or take piano lessons to make their life more interesting. Besides, they have done those things in their younger years, when their zest for life was more acute.

As for not wanting to discuss their ailments, I think it's natural to not want to burden their children with their suffering. Also I think most elderly want to think of themselves as being independent. They are watching their limitations gradually diminish with time, and certainly don't want someone taking over their life.

As for having heart to heart talks, that would be great. However, probably the vast majority of grandchildren these days are too busy being connected to someone else by e-mail, texting, or using various forms of social media, to give a darn about grandparents.

Last edited by flamesfever; 09-06-2022 at 04:53 PM.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flamesfever For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 09-06-2022, 11:37 PM   #2225
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
The requirements to have an contact lens fitting at Costco when buying lenses RGMG.

You're required to have a valid prescription from an optometrist (1 yr or less) for starters. Said optometrist gives you a full 30 min exam to grant you that prescription.

You then bring that prescription to Costco who then give you a similar full 30min workup before they'll sell you lenses. I know there's probably a regulatory body behind all of this, and it's probably not Costco's fault.

I'd happily buy from my optometrist, but the price is about 50% more - unless I use some mail in rebates that have a 40% chance of working.

The online sites used to be good to buy lenses from, but consolidation of a few sites means that deals are far and few between now.
That’s what happens with a race to the bottom. A lot of online sites lost money trying to get your service but what happened is that people jumped from site to site getting the best bargain. There is a reason that Clearly now has a brick and mortar location. Clearly was bought by LensCrafters (Luxottica) btw when they were losing 250 Million a Quarter. If your local Mall has Clearly, LensCrafters and Pearle vision then there is no competition. They are all part of the same Luxottica group.

Also; that year supply of contacts is probably costing you the same amount as it did a decade ago. Online drove prices down everywhere. You are getting a much better lens for essentially the same $200 (monthly) or $600 (daily) as you did 10 years ago.

It’s a medical device with hundreds of millions of research put into it in order to make you see perfectly without glasses and without a high risk of health issues. Yet the market made it so that $20 more, per year, for something you use every single day is “expensive”.

Ask your local Optometrist what they can provide to you over and above just the price.

We offer, free daily contacts if needed, free exchange if the prescription changes at 6 months and a free trial if you drop one lens down the sink after opening the package. Also know we are making small margins on those contacts. The main reason we keep selling them is so we can track peoples use so they don’t destroy their eyeballs by overusing and over-wearing their contact lenses. Also, we actually set our prices based on online. Most are +/- 5% vs online.

Also contacts at Costco are a loss-leader. You get your contacts then spend $600 on #### you don’t need while you are there.

Last edited by Knut; 09-06-2022 at 11:39 PM.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2022, 07:19 AM   #2226
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfever View Post
I think it's true that many older people get themselves in a rut, develop unhealthy habits like lack of exercise, overeating, drinking, smoking, become grumpy, cynical, etc., but their unhealthy lifestyle usually catches up to them and they die younger than normal.
I've kind of noticed that there's no rhyme or reason to how long a person can live. I have seen so many people live life the right way and die early or have cancer, heart conditions, etc and plenty who did everything wrong and still kicking into their 70's and 80's. My 74 year old father in law really should be studied he's 5'6" and 350 lbs, smokes, drinks a 26 oz of rye every two days, lives on a diet of KFC, Boston Pizza, chinese takeout, etc and I'm certain he's going to live into his 90's as his heart is strong and he seems immune to everything. Also an uncle that was so overweight and inactive we used to think that he would never make it to 65 years old. He's alive and kicking at 81 years old and probably hasn't walked more than 25 feet in 40 years. No matter how hard people try to do things right, a lot of luck is involved.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2022, 08:38 AM   #2227
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

There must be another way to address someone that earns a doctorate that isn't what we would traditionally call a doctor. I don't want to downplay the effort it took to earn the doctorate but I honestly feel being a Doctor of Education and having people refer to you as Doctor is disingenuous.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Raekwon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2022, 08:39 AM   #2228
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Just call everyone Dr and they will eventually get the idea that they are not special.

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 08:51 AM   #2229
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I've kind of noticed that there's no rhyme or reason to how long a person can live. I have seen so many people live life the right way and die early or have cancer, heart conditions, etc and plenty who did everything wrong and still kicking into their 70's and 80's. My 74 year old father in law really should be studied he's 5'6" and 350 lbs, smokes, drinks a 26 oz of rye every two days, lives on a diet of KFC, Boston Pizza, chinese takeout, etc and I'm certain he's going to live into his 90's as his heart is strong and he seems immune to everything. Also an uncle that was so overweight and inactive we used to think that he would never make it to 65 years old. He's alive and kicking at 81 years old and probably hasn't walked more than 25 feet in 40 years. No matter how hard people try to do things right, a lot of luck is involved.
Sure there will always be the exceptions, but the statistics don't lie. If you want to ignore the odds, that's your right, but don't complain when you reap the consequences. The way I see it, how well you live, is more important than how long you live.

Last edited by flamesfever; 09-07-2022 at 09:22 AM.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 08:52 AM   #2230
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
There must be another way to address someone that earns a doctorate that isn't what we would traditionally call a doctor. I don't want to downplay the effort it took to earn the doctorate but I honestly feel being a Doctor of Education and having people refer to you as Doctor is disingenuous.
Can't wait for the Chiropractor discussion since they are neither a MD or PhD but call themselves doctors.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2022, 08:55 AM   #2231
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Can't wait for the Chiropractor discussion since they are neither a MD or PhD but call themselves doctors.
Canada
Canada lies somewhere between British and American usage of the degree and terminology of "doctor". Holders of research doctorates – PhDs and similar degrees – commonly use the title "doctor".[83] A number of regulated healthcare professionals can also use the title "doctor"; in Ontario these are limited by law to physicians, dentists, optometrists, chiropractors, doctorate-level psychologists and social workers.[84][85] In Alberta, Registered Nurses or Nurse Practitioners with an earned doctoral degree may use the title "doctor" in conjunction with professional practice.[86] Some professionals earn degrees with the title of doctor but which are considered, despite their name, to be at bachelor's-level, e.g. DDS, MD, JD.[87] In Ontario, registered naturopathic doctors may only use the title "doctor" in written format if they also use the phrase, "naturopathic doctor" immediately following their name, while a 2006 amendment that would allow practitioners of Traditional Chinese Medicine to use the title has not, as of 1 August 2016, entered into force.[88]
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 08:59 AM   #2232
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

No one who gets a JD calls themselves a doctor, but I don't really think people look at it as a bachelor's level degree. More like a master's. Even when it was "bachelor of laws" it's not like you could get that without first being an undergrad for 3-4 years.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 09:06 AM   #2233
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
Just call everyone Dr and they will eventually get the idea that they are not special.
You got it Doc!
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 10:00 AM   #2234
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
People who insist on being called Doctor outside of their workplace are the most annoying humans ever. Unless you’re actively doctoring, you don’t need to be called doctor.

It reminds me of the maestro Seinfeld episode.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2022, 10:05 AM   #2235
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
People who insist on being called Doctor outside of their workplace are the most annoying humans ever. Unless you’re actively doctoring, you don’t need to be called doctor.

It reminds me of the maestro Seinfeld episode.
I worked with a guy that wanted to be called Captain.

in a previous career he was a Sea Captain, that drove large vessels around the world.

Dude had Captain "Full Name" in his signature, on his business cards. I once introduced him by his full name and he actually said "It is Captain "Full Name".

What a huge D-Bag that guy was.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2022, 10:07 AM   #2236
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I worked with a guy that wanted to be called Captain.

in a previous career he was a Sea Captain, that drove large vessels around the world.

Dude had Captain "Full Name" in his signature, on his business cards. I once introduced him by his full name and he actually said "It is Captain "Full Name".

What a huge D-Bag that guy was.
Haha I love that. So obnoxiously awesome.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 10:12 AM   #2237
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think you only get away with that if you always wear the hat.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2022, 10:13 AM   #2238
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Haha I love that. So obnoxiously awesome.
[*Sliver adds "Captain" to his business cards]
Old 09-07-2022, 10:15 AM   #2239
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I had a university professor that insisted on being called doctor.

She was teaching a 1st year English lit course. Ugh. So annoying. She would even tell us that she didn’t spend the extra time getting her doctorate to not be called doctor. Like that was her claim to fame in life was making 18 year olds call her doctor because being a sessional instructor at Canada’s 28th best university wasn’t reward enough.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2022, 10:36 AM   #2240
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I had a university professor that insisted on being called doctor.

She was teaching a 1st year English lit course. Ugh. So annoying. She would even tell us that she didn’t spend the extra time getting her doctorate to not be called doctor. Like that was her claim to fame in life was making 18 year olds call her doctor because being a sessional instructor at Canada’s 28th best university wasn’t reward enough.

I would rather she worked on my back and neck instead of a chiropractor touching me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote