Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2021, 09:35 AM   #13181
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

from he who shall not be named:

On Taylor Hall...
Hall's playoffs may have salvaged his next contract...a bit. He had a great end of the year/first series with the Bruins, but against the Islanders, when he was needed the most Hall again came up small. I have been hearing for over a year now that Hall was following the Tavares path and wanting to return home to play in Alberta...this time for the Flames. The Kings and Jackets might also be in play...

https://screenrec.com/share/N3n2OSwDj0

and well there is also this:

https://screenrec.com/share/c0tCGXHBm3

Last edited by Demetric; 06-10-2021 at 09:41 AM.
Old 06-10-2021, 09:39 AM   #13182
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demetric View Post
from he who shall not be named:

On Taylor Hall...
Hall's playoffs may have salvaged his next contract...a bit. He had a great end of the year/first series with the Bruins, but against the Islanders, when he was needed the most Hall again came up small. I have been hearing for over a year now that Hall was following the Tavares path and wanting to return home to play in Alberta...this time for the Flames. The Kings and Jackets might also be in play...
Even when Hall was scoring in the POs I watched him (because I had him in a pool) and he was pretty invisible. Scored a couple big goals at the end of close games in the Caps series, but it was kind of like Pitt Klima scoring in OT after being benched. Hall did nothing all game and then shoveled in a goal off of a goalmouth scrum.
Old 06-10-2021, 09:44 AM   #13183
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Even when Hall was scoring in the POs I watched him (because I had him in a pool) and he was pretty invisible. Scored a couple big goals at the end of close games in the Caps series, but it was kind of like Pitt Klima scoring in OT after being benched. Hall did nothing all game and then shoveled in a goal off of a goalmouth scrum.
You mean his game tying goal where he drove wide around Carlson and made him look pedestrian?

Guy has elite offensive ability still, he’ll be effective if he goes to a team with top 6 depth and they don’t blow the bank on him.
Old 06-10-2021, 09:44 AM   #13184
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That is more than what most current top Flames players do in the playoffs. I have no problems bringing in someone who can score a few big goals regardless of how "pretty" they may be.
Old 06-10-2021, 09:46 AM   #13185
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
You mean his game tying goal? Where he drove wide around Carlson and made him look pedestrian?

Guy has elite offensive ability still, he’ll be effective if he goes to a team with top 6 depth and they don’t blow the bank on him.
He drove wide, but in slow motion, and put a weak shot on net, and then managed to shovel the puck in off the scramble.

https://youtu.be/Py5tCV9s-F0

I’ll take him at $5M x 3.
Old 06-10-2021, 09:56 AM   #13186
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

What? Not many players played well in the Isles series, but Hall was back checking, was physical, caused some turnovers. Lots of players played poorly in the Isles series, but I noticed Hall a lot more than I noticed others like DeBrusk (who I usually really like)

The Following User Says Thank You to cKy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2021, 09:58 AM   #13187
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cKy View Post
What? Not many players played well in the Isles series, but Hall was back checking, was physical, caused some turnovers. Lots of players played poorly in the Isles series, but I noticed Hall a lot more than I noticed others like DeBrusk (who I usually really like)
I thought the top line was their usual self - just played very well by the Isles. I saw Hall cough it up a lot more than other players, and his puck management was not up to the Bruin standard - he made some high risk low reward plays at the blue lien I noticed.
Old 06-10-2021, 09:58 AM   #13188
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

So if you were a GM of a team and had enough cap space to add a top 6 forward would you choose Taylor Hall or Ryan Nugent Hopkins and why?
Old 06-10-2021, 09:59 AM   #13189
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hall's playoffs:

CF%: 54.68
SF%: 58.76
GF%: 53.85
xGF%: 64.18
SCF%: 54.61
HDCF%: 70.91
HDGF%: 62.50
MDCF%: 45.36
MDGF%: 50.00

I think there's a decent amount of personal bias against Taylor Hall (which I get, Oilers gonna Oiler), but he's a very good player.

Should he get paid like he just won the Hart trophy? Hell no, but there's a good player there and he would definitely improve our forward position.
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2021, 10:03 AM   #13190
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

some really good UFAs this year. Seattle is going to outbid for 2-3 of them and have a Vegas-like team
Old 06-10-2021, 10:04 AM   #13191
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
So if you were a GM of a team and had enough cap space to add a top 6 forward would you choose Taylor Hall or Ryan Nugent Hopkins and why?
I would go for Danault before RNH
Old 06-10-2021, 10:09 AM   #13192
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Hall's playoffs:

CF%: 54.68
SF%: 58.76
GF%: 53.85
xGF%: 64.18
SCF%: 54.61
HDCF%: 70.91
HDGF%: 62.50
MDCF%: 45.36
MDGF%: 50.00

I think there's a decent amount of personal bias against Taylor Hall (which I get, Oilers gonna Oiler), but he's a very good player.

Should he get paid like he just won the Hart trophy? Hell no, but there's a good player there and he would definitely improve our forward position.
I wanted him to do well. Had him in my pool, like I said. And I root for him because he escaped. I just didn’t think of him as an impact player in the POs. More of an afterthought.
Old 06-10-2021, 10:11 AM   #13193
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

will Landeskog or Saad re-sign? I assume the Avs will save their cap space for Makar and Grubauer
Old 06-10-2021, 10:11 AM   #13194
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd sign Hall and i think NJ is a great trade partner for Gaudreau if they move him.
Old 06-10-2021, 10:13 AM   #13195
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
will Landeskog or Saad re-sign? I assume the Avs will save their cap space for Makar and Grubauer
I suspect Landeskog does, and Saad will be cut loose. And whoever gets him won’t regret it.
Old 06-10-2021, 10:43 AM   #13196
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'd stay away from both, unless their contracts are very competitive with the next tier. If I'm trying to plug a core slot, I recognize that is foolhardy via UFA and go short-term on an older UFA to fill that role and possibly sell at TDL. If I'm a contender looking to go over the top, I go short-term on an older UFA who will deliver value.

I'd rather try 2-3 of the following for probably less total money and term than the former 1OAs:

Saad
Tatar
Palmieri
Schwartz
Hoffman
Johansson
Perreault
Bjugstad
Armia
Coleman
Gusev
McGinn
B Ryan

Danault
Stastny
Wennberg
Granlund
Stepan
E Staal
Zajac
Bozak
Anisimov
Sutter
Bonino
D Ryan
Cizikas
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2021, 10:44 AM   #13197
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I suspect Landeskog does, and Saad will be cut loose. And whoever gets him won’t regret it.
I’m generally in a “stay out of free agency” mode because it’s just not a good way to build a team…but adding Saad and Hall would be such an awesome summer. I’d certainly get excited about that.

What if those were the only changes outside of stuff we can’t control (Gio to Seattle)?

Gaudreau - Lindholm - Tkachuk
Hall - Monahan - Saad
Dube - Backlund - Mangiapane
Lucic - Ruzicka - Gawdin/Phillips

Hanifin - Andersson
Valimaki - Tanev
Mackey - Kylington/?

Markstrom
?

I still look at the centre ice position as icky, but adding players like Saad and Hall would certainly excite me.
Old 06-10-2021, 10:58 AM   #13198
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
I'd sign Hall and i think NJ is a great trade partner for Gaudreau if they move him.
I agree. going strictly by paper, haven't really watched the devils much, but they seem to have a lot young centers on the roster already, not to mention 2x1st round picks and 2x2nd round picks in this year's draft.

Would Gaudreau + ? for (1 of Merkley, Mcleod, Zacha) + a 1st/2nd be a decent deal? None of those centers scream obvious top 6 just yet, hence the + a high pick in my opinion.

<ducks, I might be way off on the value assessment of the devil players involved>
Old 06-10-2021, 11:01 AM   #13199
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

The thing about Saad is that he’s always been pretty consistent and won’t break the bank. Not sure about Hall in that regard.
Old 06-10-2021, 11:54 AM   #13200
delayedreflex
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
I agree. going strictly by paper, haven't really watched the devils much, but they seem to have a lot young centers on the roster already, not to mention 2x1st round picks and 2x2nd round picks in this year's draft.

Would Gaudreau + ? for (1 of Merkley, Mcleod, Zacha) + a 1st/2nd be a decent deal? None of those centers scream obvious top 6 just yet, hence the + a high pick in my opinion.

<ducks, I might be way off on the value assessment of the devil players involved>
I admit I haven't watched NJ at all pretty much, but I'd almost think you should get at least three, if not all four out of Zacha/Mcleod/Merkley/2nd round pick for Gaudreau (especially if there's a +?). That would probably be contingent on NJ thinking they could sign Gaudreau to an extension, so hard to say how open Gaudreau would be to that, but between Hischier/Hughes NJ has a decent base to build from so there's a decent chance he could stay with them. A first round pick would be pretty different - if it's this year's (4th overall), then your proposal looks more fair, and if it was Zacha + 4th overall pick I'd think hard about it. Mcleod I'm less sold on and Merkley cleared waivers this year so I don't think he's worth a whole lot.
Closed Thread