Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2020, 06:01 PM   #3381
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
Johnny for Laine.
Whats the general feeling around here?
Against. Laine is gonna want an 8 figure pay day. Would rather keep Gaudreau and use the free cap space in 2022 to sign another elite free agent. That 2022 class looks exceptional right now.

Potential UFAs to be had (in no particular order):

Aleksander Barkov, Morgan Rielly, Seth Jones, John Klingberg, Claude Giroux, Evgeni Malkin, Colton Parayko, Patrice Bergeron, Filip Forsberg, Tomas Hertl, Mika Zibanejad, Sean Couturier and etc.

Truly an incredible class it’s shaping up to be and with Gio’s contract up that year as well, that’ll be $13.5M freed up for maybe the best UFA class the NHL has ever seen.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:02 PM   #3382
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

My guess is Laine ends up in NJ.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:03 PM   #3383
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
No way Winnipeg trades Laine for a player that won’t be there more than a year.
That’s an issue. But so is Laine’s next contract for 21-22. They only gave him a 2 year RFA contract and maybe they aren’t happy.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:06 PM   #3384
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
No way the coyotes retain any on that contract.

Hanifin, Ryan and a 2nd. Throw in a B prospect.
This is the type of deal that I could see happening.

Rumored Vancouver offer that was shot down was Sutter, Virtanen, 1st, 2nd

Hanifin is worth Virtanen and a 1st. Ryan is worth a 3rd where Sutter has negative value so that balances out the 2nd. The B prospect could be what moves the deal to completion.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2020, 06:07 PM   #3385
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Johnny for Laine.
Whats the general feeling around here?
I’d do it.

138 goals in 305 games means Laine scores in 45% of his games.

Monahan scores in 36% of his games (194 in 541).

Laine is the best natural goal scorer to enter the league since Ovechkin.

If we can get him for Johnny, do it. Who cares what his salary demands are, we’re not the ones writing the cheque, and he’s the best natural goal scorer since Ovechkin.

Who doesn’t acquire that guy if he’s available, I mean honestly.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:09 PM   #3386
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Against. Laine is gonna want an 8 figure pay day. Would rather keep Gaudreau and use the free cap space in 2022 to sign another elite free agent. That 2022 class looks exceptional right now.

Aleksander Barkov, Morgan Rielly, Seth Jones, John Klingberg, Claude Giroux, Evgeni Malkin, Colton Parayko, Patrice Bergeron, Filip Forsberg, Tomas Hertl, Mika Zibanejad, Sean Couturier and etc.

Truly an incredible class it’s shaping up to be and with Gio’s contract up that year as well, that’ll be $13.5M freed up for maybe the best UFA class the NHL has ever seen.
How many of those guys do you think will make it to UFA? I say maybe 4 out of the 12. The oldest, like 37 year old Bergeron, 36 year old Malkin, 33 year old Giroux (who I wouldn’t even take now).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2020, 06:09 PM   #3387
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

OEL to Calgary makes no sense as a direct trade. The Flames can't take on more cap, and the Coyotes are cash poor. There would have to be a 3rd team involved or another trade in the works first.

If we are looking to take on a big salary, I would be on the horn with Chicago to see if prying Kane away was possible. I know the core there doesn't want to move, but it seems Chicago might be going in rebuild mode.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:11 PM   #3388
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Are you banking on Gaudreau re-signing in that scenario?
I don’t think it’ll be the end of the world if Gaudreau leaves via free agency anyway. The Islanders didn’t crash and burn after losing John Tavares. The Flames could easily go for broke until 2022 and then sign a couple free agents from that ridiculous 2022 free agent class and then contend again.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:12 PM   #3389
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
What? You complain about johnnys work ethic off the ice but yet you want to trade him for someone who is even worse outside the rink?
Yup because Laine is elite at the hardest thing to do...score goals
And he isn’t a finished product
I see him as a 50 goal scorer
And he’s younger with more years of control
So yup
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2020, 06:14 PM   #3390
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don’t think it’ll be the end of the world if Gaudreau leaves via free agency anyway. The Islanders didn’t crash and burn after losing John Tavares. The Flames could easily go for broke until 2022 and then sign a couple free agents from that ridiculous 2022 free agent class and then contend again.
I’m actually with you on this - I think teams get to pre occupied with losing stars for nothing.

Give his money to two or three other guys and spread the work out.

It’s worth mentioning that Johnny isn’t going to be getting $8M or $9M from anyone if he has two more seasons like this last one, so let’s not worry too much about life after Gaudreau just yet.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:14 PM   #3391
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you really want to see Laine’s scoring ability at its fullest you would play him with Johnny.

Monahan for Laine might have worked before the Jets got Stastny but not anymore.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:21 PM   #3392
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
How many of those guys do you think will make it to UFA? I say maybe 4 out of the 12. The oldest, like 37 year old Bergeron, 36 year old Malkin, 33 year old Giroux (who I wouldn’t even take now).
Not sure, don’t think anyone has the answer to that. I suspect more and more teams will allow their stars to go test the market as GMs look to secure their own RFAs.

Plus, that’s not even the full list of impressive names I listed. Punching in those 12 names was enough work, there’s tons more talent in that pool who are younger and play huge roles for their team. Seriously, that class could be spectacular. Next season though, not so great.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:31 PM   #3393
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
I’m actually with you on this - I think teams get to pre occupied with losing stars for nothing.

Give his money to two or three other guys and spread the work out.

It’s worth mentioning that Johnny isn’t going to be getting $8M or $9M from anyone if he has two more seasons like this last one, so let’s not worry too much about life after Gaudreau just yet.
100%. Like so what if Gaudreau isn’t going to sign back here. If the Flames aren’t going to get better trading him like Treliving has insinuated, then there’s no point in trading him. The Flames are in win now mode.

Personally I have zero interest in adding picks or prospects or long term projects who’ll be good in 5 years when the Flames are rebuilding and then be average for the next decade or 2 again. Go for broke now and when it’s time to suck, really suck and draft those generational players. This mediocrity cycle has to end.
The Following User Says Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2020, 06:36 PM   #3394
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Tre is really wanting to make core changes I could see some sort of huge blockbuster trade with the Yotes involving more than just OEL. Especially with the Yotes change in direction and the liklihood of them wanting to dump some big contracts.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:58 PM   #3395
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ok, so how do we trade for Laine, fit him in and keep Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm, Tkachuk? Does Hanifin, Dube/Bennett/Mangiapane + pick/prospect get it done?

Too much?
Old 10-16-2020, 07:03 PM   #3396
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Waaaaay to little. If he 0oayed for the Flames, would you take that deal? The only way he ends up on the Flames is if a third team is involved. If the Flames could get him, you do what it takes to get him. With Markstrom stopping them and Laine putting them in, this team would be a serious threat.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:04 PM   #3397
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Flames are still trying to make a trade, but with the lack of cap space around the league, I’m going to guess they’re not going to be able to find a suitable trade.

I didn’t like Hamonic’s play last season at all. But as I look at the list of UFA RHD, it’s looking better and better to try to sign Hamonic to a cheap, one-year contract. They need more than 3 RHD if their 3rd RHD is Petrovic.

I think the Flames should be able to get another quality forward on a cheap, one-year contract because of the long list of UFA forwards still available.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:04 PM   #3398
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

And as usual most of those players, including likely all the great ones, don’t reach UFA

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
bax
Old 10-16-2020, 07:09 PM   #3399
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ok, so how do we trade for Laine, fit him in and keep Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm, Tkachuk? Does Hanifin, Dube/Bennett/Mangiapane + pick/prospect get it done?

Too much?
Flip OEL to Winnipeg + a Gaudreau to Philly something something
Old 10-16-2020, 07:09 PM   #3400
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
OEL to Calgary makes no sense as a direct trade. The Flames can't take on more cap, and the Coyotes are cash poor. There would have to be a 3rd team involved or another trade in the works first.

If we are looking to take on a big salary, I would be on the horn with Chicago to see if prying Kane away was possible. I know the core there doesn't want to move, but it seems Chicago might be going in rebuild mode.
Lucic might be a bit of an enabler now.

Despite his cap-hit, because of bonuses and the retained salary transaction, he's now owed less than 3M per year for any team (outside of Edmonton) acquiring him.

OEL (7.7M effective salary going forward) + random 1.5M fourth line plug that can play up the lineup and provide toughness = 9.2M

Lucic (2.9M effective salary) + Hanifin (4.95M) = 7.85M

The Coyotes could save roughly 1.5M in a deal where the centre piece deal is OEL, Hanifin and prospects/picks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread