Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2021, 09:32 PM   #781
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for the responses guys. It does seem a bit scam-ish. The shipping location is a UPS store outside of Toronto, and the last email came between 2-3am. Sliver's situation seems to legitimize the concept a bit though.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 06:53 AM   #782
Stampede2TheCup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Thanks for the responses guys. It does seem a bit scam-ish. The shipping location is a UPS store outside of Toronto, and the last email came between 2-3am. Sliver's situation seems to legitimize the concept a bit though.
Maybe request a picture or two of things that could help verify?

A recent newspaper
Picture of the destination building with a note with a word of your choice on it
Etc…

You could request a phone call because a lot of scammers are overseas.
Stampede2TheCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 05:02 PM   #783
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

So I've had an unusual item on sale for about a month now, posted to both Kijiji and FB Marketplace. Had a couple folks sugest they'd pay 30% of asking to which I'd decline and respond with "so XYZ is my bottom line" and of course silence. So yesterday, same thing... except after my bottom line dude is like... I'm on my way, be there in 25mins... was here 20min, quick handover and cash on the front steps. done. awesome. No nonsense.

Same time I'm looking for something and have replied to several postings. Ya think people would make some effort if they're selling? no? like being friendly, answering 2-4 questions, and maybe even following up in less than 36 hour increments. Anyways, headed out to buy the goods shortly.. and happily willing to pay a little more to someone who is easier to deal with and provided decent info. So right now I'm sitting at a solid "4" for a review with strong potential for a "5" rating on the seller, if that was a thing.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 08:00 AM   #784
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
So I've had an unusual item on sale for about a month now, posted to both Kijiji and FB Marketplace. Had a couple folks sugest they'd pay 30% of asking to which I'd decline and respond with "so XYZ is my bottom line" and of course silence. So yesterday, same thing... except after my bottom line dude is like... I'm on my way, be there in 25mins... was here 20min, quick handover and cash on the front steps. done. awesome. No nonsense.

Same time I'm looking for something and have replied to several postings. Ya think people would make some effort if they're selling? no? like being friendly, answering 2-4 questions, and maybe even following up in less than 36 hour increments. Anyways, headed out to buy the goods shortly.. and happily willing to pay a little more to someone who is easier to deal with and provided decent info. So right now I'm sitting at a solid "4" for a review with strong potential for a "5" rating on the seller, if that was a thing.

You can rate people on kijiji
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 10:30 AM   #785
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
You can rate people on kijiji
Yes, post purchase.
Old 12-14-2021, 10:37 AM   #786
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Why do people insist on making it harder to give stuff way for free?

Person: Is this still available? Can I pick it up now?
Me: Yup, how far are you from [neighbourhood]?
Person: About 25 minutes
Me: Ok, here's [address] I'll put it outside for you
Person: Ok, I'll pick it up in the morning

No, I'm not leaving a piece of furniture on my front step overnight right after you said "Can I pick it up now?"
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Regular_John For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2021, 04:28 PM   #787
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydorn View Post
Why do people insist on making it harder to give stuff way for free?

Person: Is this still available? Can I pick it up now?
Me: Yup, how far are you from [neighbourhood]?
Person: About 25 minutes
Me: Ok, here's [address] I'll put it outside for you
Person: Ok, I'll pick it up in the morning

No, I'm not leaving a piece of furniture on my front step overnight right after you said "Can I pick it up now?"
Just tell them ok, but it’s going outside now.
Old 12-14-2021, 05:01 PM   #788
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Just tell them ok, but it’s going outside now.
I'd just prefer to keep my front step clear of discarded furniture for as long as possible. Our climate isn't so kind to particle board.
Old 12-15-2021, 01:23 PM   #789
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Oh yeah, thats a gear grinder of mine. Usually, the reason these follow-up questions are required is because the ad has a crap description and crap pictures.

Then they get annoyed when you ask the follow-up questions.

Me: "What model are these skates? I cannot see the model. Or can you take different pictures for me?"
Seller: "Bauer"
Me: "Thanks. I can see that, but what model?"
Seller: "Vapor"
Me: "Thanks, but Bauer Vapor what? They have models ranging from $79 to $500.... It will say on the heel somewhere"
Seller: "......."

Still up for sale weeks after I first contacted them. SMH.
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dubc80 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2021, 03:20 PM   #790
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have not had any luck trying to sell items online. I have been trying to sell my Daughters stroller, crib and bike for dirt cheap and no bites. I have an elliptical that works great and I only bought a year and a half ago for $450 listed for $225 and crickets despite paying to have a top add. I am looking at what these items are new and listing them at well below half of that price.

Not sure what I am doing wrong?
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 03:42 PM   #791
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I have not had any luck trying to sell items online. I have been trying to sell my Daughters stroller, crib and bike for dirt cheap and no bites. I have an elliptical that works great and I only bought a year and a half ago for $450 listed for $225 and crickets despite paying to have a top add. I am looking at what these items are new and listing them at well below half of that price.

Join mom groups on Facebook. That's how my wife sold all of our used kids stuff. Went quick and easy.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 04:12 PM   #792
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

I finally managed to give away my old TV stand, but I’m still not sure how to make this easier on folks.

I put “free” in the title, and list the item as free. I make it clear it’s just a matter of coming to get it, and I still have conversations like this:

Buyer: Is this still available?
Me: Yes it is. What’s your availability to get to [neighbourhood]?
Buyer: And it’s free?

(Facepalm) No, it’s a complete bait & switch on a 13 year old piece I bought from IKEA for $80, I’m listing it for free in hopes of strong-arming $45 out of you after you’ve fallen blissfully in love with the 1 photo I put exactly no effort into.

Last edited by Regular_John; 12-15-2021 at 04:59 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Regular_John For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2021, 04:57 PM   #793
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Half new isn't a good pricing metric. If you want stuff to go you should price it compared to other used listings
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2021, 05:16 PM   #794
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Half new isn't a good pricing metric. If you want stuff to go you should price it compared to other used listings
+1
I think some people overestimate the value of their stuff, or underestimate how much selection there is for some items. There are some baby brands that retain value phenomenally well, but the majority don't.

The mom groups on Facebook seem to be very location-dependent. My wife has joined several and through the process dropped most due to lack of engagement, so you might need to look at alternatives to find the right audience.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 08:42 AM   #795
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
+1
I think some people overestimate the value of their stuff, or underestimate how much selection there is for some items. There are some baby brands that retain value phenomenally well, but the majority don't.

The mom groups on Facebook seem to be very location-dependent. My wife has joined several and through the process dropped most due to lack of engagement, so you might need to look at alternatives to find the right audience.
Look at similar advertisements on Kijiji and FB marketplace. You’ll see some really poor ones with a couple bad photos and terrible descriptions. Then you’ll see ones with 4-8 decent photos (not of the same thing at different zooms) that demonstrate cleanliness, major parts, decent lighting, make and model, usage). In your written part basically state make model sizing, color, state nothing is broken and everything works, have a friendly tone, check spelling and grammar. Actually answer and engage people asking (even stupid questions). Those that do the right stuff move their goods fast otherwise if it’s not moving it’s these reasons, your asking price, and availability (both answering quickly and for selling).

I read a few months back of a guy that looks for old adds, particularly tires and rims. They usually have crap photos, dirty as heck, bad write ups. He low balls them, picks up the goods and takes an hour or so to clean and polish and gets good photos and details up. Flips the wheels often at 2-3x what he paid. Says it’s practically free money off lazy people.
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2021, 10:47 AM   #796
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Join mom groups on Facebook. That's how my wife sold all of our used kids stuff. Went quick and easy.
agreed.
That's what we did, too. It was also a lifesaver when we were looking for items.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 10:52 AM   #797
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

There are probably quite a few people who would buy the elliptical, but don't message you as something large and awkward would be a pain to get home. Especially if you don't have a truck.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 07:31 PM   #798
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought I'd post a follow-up on the running boards that I was selling. The guy from Ontario paid the exact asking price via eTransfer, sent me a FedEx Ground waybill, apologized that FedEx would not pick up from a residential address, and included an extra $20 in the eTransfer to cover fuel costs for dropping the box off at the FedEx facility by the airport. All in all an easy and pleasant transaction. Some faith in humanity restored.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2022, 01:51 PM   #799
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Anybody need a 50k couch?

They are open to reasonable offers!

Luxury Designer - B&B Italia Black Leather Sectional on Kijiji https://www.kijiji.ca/v-couch-futon/calgary/luxury-designer-b-b-italia-black-leather-sectional/1603230837?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content= app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=sms

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 02:45 PM   #800
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
Anybody need a 50k couch?

They are open to reasonable offers!

http://Luxury Designer - B&B Italia ...utm_source=sms

Looks at postal code… could be legit.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote