Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2021, 01:09 PM   #701
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint View Post
I often wonder what is the line between asking for a discount as part of a negotiation, and what is an offensive “low ball”? For your example above, $21 would have been my opening for an item priced at $30, with the expectation we would wind up somewhere from $25-$27.

I’m always polite “Hey, I know this is a low ball, but it’s what I can do, if it doesn’t work for you, no problem, good luck with your sale.”, but I wonder what sellers think is the line between an appropriate opening and an inappropriate one?

Thoughts from sellers?
Instead of starting at a number to bargain, in the past, I'd say the item is "a little beyond my budget" and ask about the wiggle room on the price to see if "it falls within my budget".

But I've done my research and often interested in something willing to pay the price and hoping to knock off 10-15% additional, but not something extreme and ridiculous off the price. Usually when someone gives a hint at how much they are willing to move (usually it's pretty close to their bottom line), I would generally not push more than $500-$1K from the wiggle room they reveal.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 10:34 AM   #702
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sec304 View Post
One thing I've done with some low offers (reasonable ones) is that I'll tell them that if it doesn't sell within a week then I will take their offer. It's worked so far both ways
And that’s exactly how I managed to great deal on a bike 3 years ago. A relatively unknown boutique brand and material in an unusual size and oddball build… a unicorn if you will… and I wanted it but had a fixed max which was ~30% below their asking. I paid a little more and they finally sold the item after it had been posted for over 2 months.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 10:36 AM   #703
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Call me strange but sometimes I actually just pay asking price if I think it’s good to start with instead of creating frustration and/or maybe losing the opportunity to acquire it. But that’s generally for items less than $100.
Old 09-10-2021, 11:22 AM   #704
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

If its a car or something I go with

"I just sold my X for a little less than I expected. I really like your X and have cash ready to go and can come get it today but I only have $XX,XXX to spend. If you are at all interested at that price let me know.
Old 09-11-2021, 11:14 AM   #705
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post

"I just sold my X for a little less than I expected. I really like your X and have cash ready to go and can come get it today but I only have $XX,XXX to spend. If you are at all interested at that price let me know.
So your first instinct is to lie to the seller? Not the worst thing, but I just thought it was funny.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 01:27 PM   #706
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
So your first instinct is to lie to the seller? Not the worst thing, but I just thought it was funny.
Rule #1 about car buyers: Buyers are Liars.
Old 09-11-2021, 02:31 PM   #707
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post

Selling your car for less than you expected leads me to believe you’re a weak negotiator and that you’re prime fish to pay more than you expected to for my vehicle.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 05:39 PM   #708
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

LOL.
I saw this the other day. it seems perfect for this thread.
Old 09-11-2021, 05:56 PM   #709
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I like my kijiji negotiations to open the way I like online recipes. I want a 500 word essay before we get to the important stuff. You can’t just open with numbers. I need some life context, where you grew up, what your relationship was like with your mother, why the smell of jasmine reminds you of aunt Gladys.

If your opening offer doesn’t start with “when I was 6 years old on summer vacation…” or the like, don’t even bother making an offer.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2021, 07:38 PM   #710
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I like my kijiji negotiations to open the way I like online recipes. I want a 500 word essay before we get to the important stuff. You can’t just open with numbers. I need some life context, where you grew up, what your relationship was like with your mother, why the smell of jasmine reminds you of aunt Gladys.

If your opening offer doesn’t start with “when I was 6 years old on summer vacation…” or the like, don’t even bother making an offer.
Lol.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 12:48 AM   #711
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Kijiji's rental housing section is stone-aged with no filters and no map. It's so bad, but I have to check it lest I miss out on a great place. Ugh.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 09:18 AM   #712
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am so sick of blind offers, just a number nothing else, usually quite low. Internet anonimity has really made people idiots when it comes to classified ads. Actually I get the same thing on FB marketplace and it's not anonymous.

I have actually replied a few times, yup come get it, and have been ghosted each time.

Serious buyers are hard to find and you have to wade through a lot of raw sewage to find them. This is why lots of guys say they want phone calls, I really think people who are time wasters don't mind texting but won't pick up the phone and waste their own time.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2021, 05:15 PM   #713
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
I am so sick of blind offers, just a number nothing else, usually quite low.
"Yes, that is a number nowhere near my lowest price" goes over well for these. You can usually get them insulting you for not buying into their lies about poverty or hardship if you keep it going long enough.
Old 09-13-2021, 08:45 PM   #714
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
I am so sick of blind offers, just a number nothing else, usually quite low. Internet anonimity has really made people idiots when it comes to classified ads.

Serious buyers are hard to find and you have to wade through a lot of raw sewage to find them.
Welcome to the general population!
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 02:30 PM   #715
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've never sold a used car but wouldn't something like autotrader.ca be a lot better than kijiji? I mean, there's obviously a fee, but I'd imagine it's worth it at the end of the day.

Same for rental housing -- I think rentfaster is much better than kijiji (and isn't expensive either), to the point where I wouldn't even bother with the latter...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 03:47 PM   #716
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
I've never sold a used car but wouldn't something like autotrader.ca be a lot better than kijiji? I mean, there's obviously a fee, but I'd imagine it's worth it at the end of the day.

Same for rental housing -- I think rentfaster is much better than kijiji (and isn't expensive either), to the point where I wouldn't even bother with the latter...
I don't post rentals on kijiji anymore. The percentage of people who show up for appointments to view from rentfaster ads is so much better to the point free was too expensive for kijiji ads.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2021, 03:51 PM   #717
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
The last 2 cars I sold over the past 2 years (one for my dad, one for myself), I couldn't get AutoTrader to approve my post, thus it never made it on there. So Kijiji and Facebook Marketplace are the only places I can put an ad on.

AutoTrader has become all used car companies peddling their greasy no money down, $5000 cash back type of deals...
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 05:54 PM   #718
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
I don't post rentals on kijiji anymore. The percentage of people who show up for appointments to view from rentfaster ads is so much better to the point free was too expensive for kijiji ads.
This.

One of my rentals is a half hour drive, I got to the point where I said "text me 1/2 hour before the viewing to confirm you will be there otherwise I will not."

That's the only way I stopped having so many no shows.

Now I only advertise on rentfaster. I had a no show last week but that's the first one I can remember in quite a while.
Old 09-17-2021, 11:12 AM   #719
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Interesting how used camper/trailer prices went super high (I benefitted by selling), stayed high, and now they’re barely creeping downwards. Will be interesting to see in early/mid Oct where the usual annual price slash takes them.
Old 09-17-2021, 01:29 PM   #720
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thoughts on how best to sell a bunch of modern furniture in Kelowna?

Kijiji?

I have also heard about Facebook Marketplace, but I don't have a Facebook account.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote