Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2023, 08:09 AM   #341
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinit47 View Post
To me that game just shows how useless Lucic is. Nobody is afraid of him, and he did absolutely zero to dissuade any rough stuff against his teammates. He had a whopping 2 hits all night.

He was absolutely caved in when on the ice (18% xgf) and yet Sutter force feed him key minutes.

Trelieving needs to protect Sutter from himself and get Lucic off the roster.
It's definitely painful having to see a fake tough guy like Trouba get bragging rights. His play definitely changed the course of the game, and totally unnecessarily too.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 08:27 AM   #342
Naitix
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
But, when?
Let’s no pretend that Flames are some sort of bad defensive team. I feel like fans here are forgetting how we played most of the season, we lost games this season due to goaltending issues and not scoring goals , not because of defensive breakdowns.

Turnover will be cleaned up because they are usually good defensively.
Naitix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 08:38 AM   #343
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naitix View Post
Let’s no pretend that Flames are some sort of bad defensive team. I feel like fans here are forgetting how we played most of the season, we lost games this season due to goaltending issues and not scoring goals , not because of defensive breakdowns.

We’ve also lost games this seasons because of poor defensive play. Shots overall are usually pretty low, but huh danger chances are often no-better than the opposing team.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2023, 08:38 AM   #344
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

They are and they aren’t. They are good at keeping shots against down. But they have bad habits of having complete breakdowns and giving up the best scoring chances. Which the low shot count doesn’t help, because the goalies are cold. And it’s not just Markstrom - they’ve done it to Vladar as well. Three of their 4 regulation time goals were complete defensive failures. A huge two on one, a terrible giveaway for a breakaway, and a soft play in the corner and Backlund completely losing his man in the slot.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2023, 08:40 AM   #345
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Why not? Iggy got mid 60s points under Sutter and 90 ish under Keenan

Do you find that to be simply coincidental?

The coach has a lot to do with the on ice game, you know
Please. 70 point seasons and nearly 40 goals in that era was pretty high output. Gaudreau, Tkachuk and Lindholm were among the highest scoring players in the league last year. Your narrative doesn't add up.

This Flames team isn't the same as last year, but there's plenty of room for PPG and beyond output provided the best players play like the best players - like they did last season. This year, our elite forward is playing like a second line player.

Personally, I think the staff has at made a decent effort to mix things up at various points in the year, and given the most recent changes to the PP and second line, seems to be more than willing to experiment in hopes of finding an extra gear.

Last night had its moments, but I saw a team that was highly engaged and for the most part, committed to playing this system. If they play like this more often than not, they will make the playoffs and possibly be a tough out considering you won't be playing 3-3 which just doesn't gel with this group either.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 02-07-2023 at 08:49 AM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 08:42 AM   #346
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
That whistled down play by Rasmus was aggressively poor

Might've been the best o-zone set up they created all game and it wasn't allowed to play out, because incompetence

Good 2 feet inside the line
The reffing and lines-manning was poor. Phantom roughing on Tanev, reversed call on Blais, Lucic gets two for being in the same scrum as everyone else, a few missed trips and boarding, and the bad offside. The Mangiapane icing call was pretty marginal and led to a goal.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2023, 08:44 AM   #347
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I don't think they're forgetting at all.
From what I've read on here, defensive breakdowns and mistakes have been a problem all year.
With that and the goaltending, it's been a chicken and the egg argument as where the blame should go regarding the bad goals.

You're letting the defense off the hook when they shouldn't be.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 08:57 AM   #348
Naitix
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Every team has defensive breakdowns, the difference is that Flames never score on their opportunities so the other teams mistakes are not so glaring. If I had to least issues with this team, their defensive game would not even come close to atrocious goaltending and inconsistent offence that does not score much not doe snot generate any high danger chances.

Last night they had a great offensive game, I do not know what you all except from this team? You think they will just turn into a good team overnight? The only realistic thing that matters are steps in the right direction and they have been taking that for the last 10 games. They are clearly showing signs of improvement. Literally just go watch the post-game, every player and Sutter thinks they had a good game, I am all for getting on them and being negative when they are #### but this was not the game to be negative about.
Old 02-07-2023, 08:58 AM   #349
Naitix
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
I don't think they're forgetting at all.
From what I've read on here, defensive breakdowns and mistakes have been a problem all year.
With that and the goaltending, it's been a chicken and the egg argument as where the blame should go regarding the bad goals.

You're letting the defense off the hook when they shouldn't be.
No, I am just saying that yes defense had a bad game but that is not the case most of the night. Most of the night it is Markstrom loosing them points or Vladar having subpar games
Old 02-07-2023, 09:01 AM   #350
Naitix
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This team actually looked dangerous last night, compared to most of their games this season. Both in the first and second it felt like they were going to score any minute, that is not how it felt most of the season.
The Following User Says Thank You to Naitix For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2023, 09:03 AM   #351
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
If Lucic is in the lineup next game I am going to scream. He adds absolutely nothing. Takes a big hit from Trouba in the 3rd, has a chance to do his job and does F all Get Ritchie back in there.
I saw one shift in the 3rd when the Flames were hemmed in badly by the Rangers. The puck came slowly to his wing near the blue line so many times and each time he couldn't skate fast enough to get it, where another player obviously would be able to do so and get the puck out of the zone. It was comical how behind the play he was. I went back and counted and it happened 7 times on one shift. Every time he was on the ice his line got caved in.

I love him for what he used to provide, but he's not scaring anybody (Trouba's big hits are an obvious piece of evidence against this), he's not hitting anyone because he can't catch them, he can't shoot, he can't pass, he makes bad choices with the puck, and he certainly can't skate at an NHL level anymore. I'm benching him in favor of Walker Duehr the rest of the year. At least Duehr can skate.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2023, 09:04 AM   #352
Ashes
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Super entertaining game last night, Kadri's blunder in OT took some of the shine off of it for me. Watching this team at 3v3 is anxiety inducing, you're just waiting for the inevitable 2 on 1 back the other way, but at 5v5 tonight I thought the Flames played great in their first game back from the break.

The reffing tonight though, woof. Trouba drops his gloves first against Tanev, yet Tanev gets called for roughing. Lucic gets clobbered and the refs arm goes up, only to review the play and decide it wasn't a hit to the head, then give Lucic the only penalty for good measure. Also the Icing call that wasn't Icing when Rasmus kept the puck in, only for it to lead directly to a face-off in our end and the Rangers score lol I know there's lots of other areas to be upset about after a loss with respect to individual performances but the inability to manage the game by the refs was my biggest takeaway watching that game, absolute dog poop from the stripes tonight.
Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ashes For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2023, 09:11 AM   #353
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashes View Post
Super entertaining game last night, Kadri's blunder in OT took some of the shine off of it for me. Watching this team at 3v3 is anxiety inducing, you're just waiting for the inevitable 2 on 1 back the other way, but at 5v5 tonight I thought the Flames played great in their first game back from the break.

The reffing tonight though, woof. Trouba drops his gloves first against Tanev, yet Tanev gets called for roughing. Lucic gets clobbered and the refs arm goes up, only to review the play and decide it wasn't a hit to the head, then give Lucic the only penalty for good measure. Also the Icing call that wasn't Icing when Rasmus kept the puck in, only for it to lead directly to a face-off in our end and the Rangers score lol I know there's lots of other areas to be upset about after a loss with respect to individual performances but the inability to manage the game by the refs was my biggest takeaway watching that game, absolute dog poop from the stripes tonight.
Agreed except the icing call was against Mangiapane. The bad call with Rasmus was an offside call which ruined a good scoring chance.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2023, 09:25 AM   #354
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Markstrom was pretty good, but we're still a team that sees every mistake we make end up in the back of our net.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 09:26 AM   #355
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Another frustrating loss. At some point Markstrom has to make some saves and not just stop pucks. Whenever there is an odd man rush or a good scoring opportunity it is like 80% the puck is getting past Markstrom. Never been less confident with a goaltender in net for the Flames. Thought the team showed some resilience coming back in the third but then it was more of the same in OT. Need to start winning games in regulation or this is all for naught.
Come on now. There’s a long list of Flames goalies in recent history that you could almost always predict a goal against before the player even released the shot.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 09:29 AM   #356
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Come on now. There’s a long list of Flames goalies in recent history that you could almost always predict a goal against before the player even released the shot.
Even Hiller, Elliot, Smith, Rittich never let in as many goals in the 1st 10 mins to start games.
Old 02-07-2023, 09:30 AM   #357
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I saw one shift in the 3rd when the Flames were hemmed in badly by the Rangers. The puck came slowly to his wing near the blue line so many times and each time he couldn't skate fast enough to get it, where another player obviously would be able to do so and get the puck out of the zone. It was comical how behind the play he was. I went back and counted and it happened 7 times on one shift. Every time he was on the ice his line got caved in.

I love him for what he used to provide, but he's not scaring anybody (Trouba's big hits are an obvious piece of evidence against this), he's not hitting anyone because he can't catch them, he can't shoot, he can't pass, he makes bad choices with the puck, and he certainly can't skate at an NHL level anymore. I'm benching him in favor of Walker Duehr the rest of the year. At least Duehr can skate.
People always like to bring up that he's a deterrent for teams taking liberties against the Flames players but last night's game totally exposes that theory.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 09:31 AM   #358
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Even Hiller, Elliot, Smith, Rittich never let in as many goals in the 1st 10 mins to start games.
That’s because Giordano was in front.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 09:32 AM   #359
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
That’s because Giordano was in front.
Tanev is better at D than Gio was back then. Gio put up a ton more points though.
Old 02-07-2023, 09:44 AM   #360
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGY12 View Post
Where was Lindholm tonight? I didn't catch all the game but the parts I did see he was completely invisible. Looking at the numbers I see he got an assist on the power play, 20 minutes of ice, 0 shots on net and -2. Granted I missed a lot of the game but I think its safe to say you'd expect more from your #1 centre who is supposedly capable of being 1c on a championship caliber team (according to some), on the road, against a good team, in a tight game. The parts I did see, Markstrom was outstanding, I actually feel for him tonight.
Lindholm looked really poor tonight. Really behind on a lot of plays, didn't check very well, struggled to create any offense. He's normally quite good, so chalk this up to rust from the break. Zadorov had pretty much the same issues.

I did want to mention that I liked the PP groups a lot more now. They are also doing a double bump back, which takes a bit more time to set up in the zone, but they executed it very well and entered every time without issue. A good powerplay will go a long way to creating the extra offense this team needs. I hope we start to see more results like last night.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote