Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2009, 05:02 PM   #1
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Summer Thread: How to make the best steaks

Thought it might be a neat idea for you BBQ wiz's, especially if its something simple and doesn't require dozens of spices and stuff. I'm about to try Chipotle's steak marinade, see how it goes.

1 (2 ounce) package dried ancho chiles
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons cumin powder
2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped
6 cloves garlic
1/2 red onion, quartered
1/4 cup vegetable oil
4 Small Steaks (6 ounces each)
Old 08-06-2009, 05:07 PM   #2
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I beat you to it. Not calling a fata just being helpful

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=75249
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:08 PM   #3
flip
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm too lazy to find it but there are at least 4 or 5 other threads on this if anyone is interested in finding more good ideas.
flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:16 PM   #4
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
I beat you to it. Not calling a fata just being helpful

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=75249
damn it. thanks malc. you are a genius, what a great idea to start a thread idea. pure genius.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:17 PM   #5
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.
Five-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:33 PM   #6
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

For me, a good steak is done how it's cooked and also a good cut and doesn't include those special marinades that hide the flavor of the beef.

1) Rub with montreal steak spice the day before.
2) Get grill as hot as possible, 600 degrees min
3) Put steaks on grill, sear for 1.5 minutes, do a 30 degree turn, sear another 1.5 minutes.
4) Flip steaks onto unused portion of grill, pour some beer on top. Sear for 1.5 minutes. Turn 30 degrees, pour a bit more beer on them, sear for another 1.5 minutes.
5) Meanwhile, place tinfoil onto plate/sheet, leaving enough to full cover steaks. Place a butter knife in the middle.
6) Remove steaks and place them on top of the butter knife so that they drape over each side. Wrap with tinfoil. Leave to sit for 3 minutes.
7) Serve and enjoy the juiciest rare steak that pulls apart with the fork.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:39 PM   #7
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

It allows the steak to keep the juices inside. Normally most people take them off the grill and directly onto a flat plate which is then flooded with awesome steak juice in less than a minute.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:45 PM   #8
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

So you are saying lift up the butter knife so the steaks hang from either side of it? You want either side of the steak suspended virtically?
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 05:48 PM   #9
ShaolinFlame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Overkill.... Can you guys even taste the beef? It's so good here that I find steak rubs and marinades pointless.

Rock Salt
Fresh Ground Pepper
Some olive oil so it doesn't stick to the grill.

Cook it rare, so you can taste the beef.

Edit: Let it sit for at least 5 minutes before slicing it open, or you will lose a lot of the juices. People often make a mistake by cutting open the steak to see if it is done to their liking, thus bleeding out all that tasty, uh, blood. Mmmmm puns.

Flames-Flyers-Stamps-Jays
ShaolinFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ShaolinFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2009, 05:54 PM   #10
GreenTeaFrapp
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
So you are saying lift up the butter knife so the steaks hang from either side of it? You want either side of the steak suspended virtically?
I'm guessing that the colder plate causes condensation on the warmer steak drawing out moisture while the metal knife will be in contact with less surface area of the steak while getting to the temperature of the steak rather quickly causing less condensation.
GreenTeaFrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:09 PM   #11
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaolinFlame View Post
Overkill.... Can you guys even taste the beef? It's so good here that I find steak rubs and marinades pointless.

Rock Salt
Fresh Ground Pepper

Edit: Let it sit for at least 5 minutes before slicing it open, or you will lose a lot of the juices. People often make a mistake by cutting open the steak to see if it is done to their liking, thus bleeding out all that tasty, uh, blood. Mmmmm puns.
Best advice in this thread so far. Agree entirely, though I've been known to also use red wine vinegar and a little extra seasoning (ie. garlic rub, perhaps a little paprika or cayenne) too this year.

Edit: and Blackarcher's heat and flip tip is great, though if you have a thick tenderloin you'd have to go down to about 500 and cook longer or the middle will be cold. Very Rare=good Raw= only good in tartare.

The tinfoil is a good idea but unnecessary IMHO....its only 3 minutes.... but I do use tinfoil for ribs to let them sit (FTC- foil, towel, cooler -- an hour). And I'm a little suspicious about the value of the butterknife, fill me in please.

Last edited by Kjesse; 08-06-2009 at 06:14 PM.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:17 PM   #12
ShaolinFlame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think BA means just to lay it on its side, so the whole steak isn't in contact with the plate (less Surface area = less lost juice). You could easily use a cooling rack to achieve the same effect. I usually find however that the juices lost on a flat surface after cooking are negligable. I find a rack to be more useful in preserving the juice while cooking (never cook a roast on a flat pan).

A really good tip is when making a roast, instead of the standard metal rack, make a small rack of hard root veg (carrots, celery, etc). It will preserve the juices just as good, but you will also have some tasty veg to go with your beef.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:23 PM   #13
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Rock Salt
Fresh Ground Pepper

Olive oil is not the best for steaks. Use an oil with a higher smoke point, like Canola.
The Following User Says Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2009, 06:23 PM   #14
Sample00
Sleazy Banker

Exp:

I prefer rib steaks.
steaks need a little bit of fat in them in order to have them tender.
Make your grill nice and hot.
sear steaks on both sides (keeps the juices in), then cook evenly on each side. I prefer 5-8 minutes each side depending on the size of the steak.
I use Garlic plus for my seasoning. A little bit on each side.

I have also used just plain garlic and rock salt with black ground pepper on the steaks, equally as tasty.
Sample00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:25 PM   #15
Sample00
Sleazy Banker

Exp:

Quote:
I think BA means just to lay it on its side, so the whole steak isn't in contact with the plate (less Surface area = less lost juice). You could easily use a cooling rack to achieve the same effect. I usually find however that the juices lost on a flat surface after cooking are negligable. I find a rack to be more useful in preserving the juice while cooking (never cook a roast on a flat pan).

A really good tip is when making a roast, instead of the standard metal rack, make a small rack of hard root veg (carrots, celery, etc). It will preserve the juices just as good, but you will also have some tasty veg to go with your beef.
maybe its just me but I really hate it when my wife puts all the vegetables in with the roast and cooks it in the oven. I find the vegetables then take on the flavour of the broth. She also has a bad habit of putting the potatoes in with it... BLAH!

Vegetables and potatos should be steamed IMHO.
Sample00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:27 PM   #16
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sample00 View Post
sear steaks on both sides (keeps the juices in),
The purpose of searing is actually not to keep juices in, it is to get the crust to a golden brown and bring out the sweetness in the meat. It's called the Maillard reaction, or carmelization.
Old 08-06-2009, 06:27 PM   #17
ShaolinFlame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
Olive oil is not the best for steaks. Use an oil with a higher smoke point, like Canola.
Good point. I am used to using my crappy grill so it is not too much of an issue, especially with the small amount that I use. With a super nice 600 deg grill however, yeah, a higher smoke point would be nice. It is pretty much just for the first flip, as after that enough fat has materialized from the meat to keep it from sticking too much anyways.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:18 PM   #18
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find that olive oil keeps its viscosity better than canola. Canola I find tends to drip too easily and thus flare up.
Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:38 PM   #19
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Oil doesn't belong on steaks. If the steak doesn't have enough marbelization in the first place to prevent sticking, then it ain't a proper steak .

Oh... and always get the steaks from the meat counter... the prepackaged... not the best.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:49 PM   #20
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

I use it to grease the grill grates mostly.
Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shazam For This Useful Post: