Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-24-2021, 10:29 PM   #41
Redlan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Because creating offense from the blueline is an entirely different skillset than creating offense as a forward
Don’t tell Wendel Clark.
Redlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 11:40 PM   #42
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogerz View Post
Hopefully the Flames don't give Poirier the Kylington/Niku treatment
that's up to him
Old 09-24-2021, 11:57 PM   #43
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m still excited about this kid. He was pegged by many as a first-rounder in his draft year, as his offense is quite spectacular. He can skate, and is one of the best stickhandlers in the Q-that’s one of his calling cards, as he can stickhandle in a broom closet. He was one of the best players in the Q playoffs too, though his team only lasted 6 games (Poirier had 4 goals and 9 points). I’ve seen his effort in the D zone marginally improve this year, but it’s undeniable that he’s got a ton of work to do in this area-and I don’t think his two-way play will move the needle much until he graduates from the Q, as there’s not as much defensive play, period. The coaches we have now in the AHL and NHL will be very good for him.

Last edited by Sandman; 09-24-2021 at 11:59 PM.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2021, 11:48 AM   #44
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whos a comparable to Porier that had all the offensive tools but needed to get the defensive side figured out that managed to do so. I know theres lots, but just trying to figure out who would be a good comparable?
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 11:52 AM   #45
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlan View Post
Don’t tell Wendel Clark.

The outlier seldom proves the premise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
bax
Old 09-25-2021, 12:15 PM   #46
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Whos a comparable to Porier that had all the offensive tools but needed to get the defensive side figured out that managed to do so. I know theres lots, but just trying to figure out who would be a good comparable?
I believe defensive play was a knock on Zack Werenski, Adam Fox, and pretty much every other 17/18 year old prospect in their draft year ever.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 01:12 PM   #47
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrennyBaller View Post
If his defense is as bad as stated, but his skill and offensive abilities are as good as stated, I wonder if maybe they'd try to move him to forward. Doubtful, but would be an out of the box idea.
This has only ever happened very rarely, and I do not believe it has happened at the NHL level for many years now; this suggests to me that there are fundamentally sound reasons for why players are not shuffled from the blue line up-and-back after juniour. It is probably not something we will ever see again in our lifetimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 02:16 PM   #48
really?
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
This has only ever happened very rarely, and I do not believe it has happened at the NHL level for many years now; this suggests to me that there are fundamentally sound reasons for why players are not shuffled from the blue line up-and-back after juniour. It is probably not something we will ever see again in our lifetimes.
Good assessment. The point of attack for defense generally begins with less resistance, and by the time multiple bodies are encountered the player is up to speed, generally possessing an advantage on defenders. Forwards routinely gain possession in traffic, and require the ability to process and evade from a speed equivalent stature. A player may be able to adjust, but it would require a significant learning curve for most players. Poirier looks good when attacking defenders at top pace, but taking possession in traffic with shorter ice ahead is a vastly different landscape.
really? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 02:41 PM   #49
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Housley is actually a pretty good comparable - one that did figure it out to a point of being able to have a full and successful career.

To me, Poirier reminds me most of Quinn Hughes. Not with the same talent level or ceiling of course, but a very similar style of play.

I think that if he can figure out the defense enough to make it to the NHL, he might project to something like a Yandle. That would be his ceiling, IMO.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 02:49 PM   #50
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

My favourite example was Al MacInnis. Wasn't very good defensively (to say the least) and his huge was far from that precise laser-beam that we all know it as. Became one of the all-time best defencemen in the history of the game.

Know who they should point at as a warning of what happens if you don't care to improve? Dion "As long as I score and hit I don't need to play defence" Phaneuf.

Definitely one of the more interesting prospects to follow through his development. Hope he gets it all together eventually.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 12:00 AM   #51
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Scored a hatty…. Pretty dynamic. First goal is slick. Steals the puck in front of the net and boots down the ice 2 on 1.

Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2021, 04:05 AM   #52
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Those are highlights from the 16th, just so everyone knows....
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2021, 05:45 AM   #53
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
I don’t know why more NHL teams don’t try this. It’s also a good hedge against in game injuries to the D core if someone can step in for spot duty. Easier to go 11 forward than 5 defenseman

I don’t see much downside in trying a guy like Erik Gustaffson as a forward/powerplay QB.

But it’s virtually never tried long term
Out of the box would be to go the other way and create a Brett Burns.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 09:38 AM   #54
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Those are highlights from the 16th, just so everyone knows....
I was about to ask if he got a second hat trick! Thanks for clearing that up.
Hockey-and_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 10:07 AM   #55
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm okay if he's one dimensional if his lone dimension leads to goals and points. Just have to ensure he's paired with a solid defender as it worked in Vancouver when they paired Tanev with Hughes.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 10:14 AM   #56
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Scored a hatty…. Pretty dynamic. First goal is slick. Steals the puck in front of the net and boots down the ice 2 on 1.

What is the camera man doing??! Can't even see poirier on the 2nd goal and just a piece of him on the 3rd goal. Just leave the zoom alone lol.
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kipper_3434 For This Useful Post: