Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2021, 08:02 AM   #41
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslayer View Post
My whole point was about Point so Kaprizov is irrelevant. Point got $30 million more than Kaprizov as well.

You think Gaudreau should get $76 million guaranteed? And just because Wild overpaid Kaprizov because of an KHL threat doesn't make it comparable to Gaudreau.
It doesn't matter what I think.
It matters what the market is.

I believe the market says Gaudreau is a 9M player for 5 years, so if I wanted to keep him, I'd have to pay it.

I would pay it. Let's say you get rid of Gaudreau because you won't pay him 9M. who do you replace him with, and what assets do you have to give up to get said player?
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 08:12 AM   #42
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Agreed.

If he wanted to stay, he would be signed and home by now.....in fact it would have been done before the draft.

Pretty clear he is either wanting far more than the team is willing to go to on dollars and/or term, or he wants to at least see what is out there as a UFA regardless of the current offer.

It doesn't preclude him from returning if it's not to his liking on the open market, but its obvious to anyone not wearing flames goggles he at least is considering other options.
Hope that's not the case.

My logic meter says they would have dealt him already if his demands were higher than the team was willing to pay.

The fact that they didn't in my mind means that although they're not done, they're in a range where it likely will get done.

Add in the fact that we had the rumblings that Coleman called and talked to Gaudreau and then locked into Calgary longterm, and I think it still points to a deal is in the works.

The only other thing I can think of was one suggested above, which is ownership blocking a trade for futures and wanting to take their chances. But even that seem unlikely to me.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2021, 08:19 AM   #43
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

If this is the worst case scenario, that Gaudreau isn't signed and isn't going to sign, then I guess we have two follow up scenarios. The Flames make the playoffs, you hope they do some damage and Gaudreau walks when they're done. Or they miss the playoffs, and you hope that out of the 5 teams he has on his trade list a few of them attempt to outbid the other in a mini bidding war.

But if that was always a possibility, and Treliving knew that, and he wasn't dealt prior to the NTC kicking in? Well, I hope Treliving isn't the one doing the dealing when the time comes.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 08:28 AM   #44
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Hope that's not the case.

My logic meter says they would have dealt him already if his demands were higher than the team was willing to pay.

The fact that they didn't in my mind means that although they're not done, they're in a range where it likely will get done.

Add in the fact that we had the rumblings that Coleman called and talked to Gaudreau and then locked into Calgary longterm, and I think it still points to a deal is in the works.

The only other thing I can think of was one suggested above, which is ownership blocking a trade for futures and wanting to take their chances. But even that seem unlikely to me.

I hope you're right and JG just doesnt walk...but with the bolded.....why would it not be done already if its close?

3 months wasnt enough time to get it settled so it wouldnt be something hanging over the club from day 1 of training camp and the season?

On a team where (my guess) the GM s on pretty thin ice as it is and needs not only a good season, but a good start, to likely retain his position....this would be the last thing he would want to have happening.

No...there is something else at play here with the most obvious being Johnny wants to at least dip his toe in the free agent waters unless a certain dollar/term is agreed too. I could be entirely wrong but we have seen this play out over and over again league wide.
Old 09-22-2021, 08:35 AM   #45
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
One thing is for sure, if Treliving doesn’t handle this one right he will for sure be fired. This could be an epic #### up for the Flames. Like possibly worst in franchise history and that’s saying something. They’ve already started to go down a terrifying path by letting this slide to Gaudreau leverage land but not sure what they could have done to prevent that to be honest.
I disagree. Should he be fired under that circumstance? Yes. Will he be? All signs point to no.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2021, 08:37 AM   #46
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If he walks for nothing Treliving should be fired. The only exception I can think of is a cup win which... well I'll leave it there.

Trying to have faith they have some sort of plan here but it is starting to look like Treliving dickered and never found a deal he liked when Gaudreau's value was significant and Gaudreau and camp as a result raised their price to a level he doesn't want to pay knowing they hold all the cards.

I can't believe that Johnny won't sign at any number So this has to be him asking for 10 and treliving getting offer little in return via trade. Otherwise it should be resolved one way or another
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 08:41 AM   #47
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd sign Johnny to a 5 year $9M deal. That's what, a $2ish million per year raise for Johnny? If Treliving is going to waste $2M on a guy like Gudbranson, what's a $2M raise? Heck, sign Chucky to a $9M x 5 year deal too, and call it a day. That's $4M in additional cap space, and Tre uses $4M less to sign bottom line pluggers.
The Yen Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 08:43 AM   #48
klikitiklik
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post

Iggy - net zero return
Gio - net zero return
Kipper - net zero return
Regehr - we gave Byron away for free who was the only redeeming asset
Brodie - net zero return
Gaudreau - ???
Tkachuk - ???

responding before these guys show up.

Brad Treliving defender starter pack

It's a process.
You have to look at the bigger picture.
Tree is playing 4-d chess.
Stop being so negative.
You should support him if you are a true fan.
What else can he do?
You have to have a willing trade partner.
It's flat cap.
We are doing better than Edmonton.
What about the Hamilton trade?
He's better than Feaster.
Remember when he duped that other GM?
Chuckie and Johnny are already signed he's just waiting for the Eichel Trade to go through.(Im still hoping for this)
There is no way we could have kept Brodie.
Hamonic was the right move AT the time.
His dad owns Boston pizza. Brad is a shrewd businessman by osmosis.
Etc, etc, etc.......

Feel free to add your own. I personally believe Brad is the sacrificial GM the owners want at this point. I think he is under tight control and is not working autonomously. Not since he was forced to hire Sutter. Had Covid not been a factor, I think the owners were willing to go all in, but knowing that this year might still bring monetary losses, they just want things to play out and not commit to any of the current core of players.

Once this season in out of the way and we don't make the playoffs again, or lose in the first round, they will clean house and have a clean slate to work with. The owners are waiting for the new building to be ready and Tree is simply a care taker GM until next off season when they have a better overall picture of the future.

I don't hate the man, and I think he has done some good things, but his overall body of work has not brought the desired results. I'm sort of dreading the position we are in with numbers 19 and 13 going into the season and it feels like we have no overall plan. It was the same with the season entering Brodie's last year. It just all seems too familiar. Our plan has always been to sneak in to the playoffs and see what happens. Thats a loser mentality that has not worked for us.

I'm optimistic that our season will be better than the last one though and I do not believe we will see much change to the current roster.

Thankfully over the season we wont ever have to hear about the fact 13 & 19 are not signed so it's not a distraction to the team./s

With all that being said, I'm just some nobody random fan who gets all his info from the internet, and has no clue how difficult it is to be a manager. It is so easy for me to sit here and critique based on the tiniest amount of info that I've gleamed from some rumour on HF. So thank you for allowing me to express my ignorant and uninformed opinion.
Old 09-22-2021, 08:49 AM   #49
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will be shocked if he isn't signed by opening night. He'd be gone already if there was any sense they couldn't get a deal done. There has been no indication that negotiations are not currently happening.
Old 09-22-2021, 08:53 AM   #50
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I hope you're right and JG just doesnt walk...but with the bolded.....why would it not be done already if its close?
It could be close, but perhaps the player wants 8 years and the club wants 5. Or maybe he wants a full NTC and Treliving isn't willing to offer it. Maybe the Flames wanted to see how a potential acquisition of Eichel would affect the team's salary cap structure before determining the length and dollar figure the team could offer.

We may not understand all of Treliving's reasons for the decisions he makes, but he's not dumb. He knew when the NTC would kick in and how that would affect Gaudreau's trade value. There must have been some reason that he didn't feel it was necessary to trade Gaudreau before then. Maybe he knows something about the negotiations that we don't.

Besides that, managing a team isn't just about individual players' salary negotiations. A team under a salary cap has a lot of moving parts, and what's happening with one can affect what you can do with the others. Treliving certainly knows much more about behind the scenes stuff and the big picture than we do. It's easy to be an armchair GM, being the real thing is something entirely different.

Last edited by Textcritic; 09-22-2021 at 09:15 AM.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 08:55 AM   #51
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
I will be shocked if he isn't signed by opening night. He'd be gone already if there was any sense they couldn't get a deal done. There has been no indication that negotiations are not currently happening.
Why? Because that would be the shrewd way to deal with things? There's been a lot of opportunity to make tough, forward looking asset judgements that haven't happened here.

If I could divorce myself from being a Flames fan, him ending up not signing and the Flames being forced into a panic trade would be ####ing hilarious and basically a perfect bow on the Treliving era.

Unfortunately, for my mental health, I am a Flames fan.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2021, 08:55 AM   #52
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

3 months wasnt enough time to get it settled so it wouldnt be something hanging over the club from day 1 of training camp and the season?

On a team where (my guess) the GM s on pretty thin ice as it is and needs not only a good season, but a good start, to likely retain his position....this would be the last thing he would want to have happening.

No...there is something else at play here with the most obvious being Johnny wants to at least dip his toe in the free agent waters unless a certain dollar/term is agreed too. I could be entirely wrong but we have seen this play out over and over again league wide.
I think the Eichel stuff is/was holding everything back.
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to the_only_turek_fan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2021, 09:06 AM   #53
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Stats say otherwise and I suspect if Johnny played for a juggernaut like Tampa he would even be more respected as a superstar.
Gaudreau’s regular-season offence isn’t the issue. It’s his inability to play through the tight checking in the playoffs, and his weak play without the puck, that renders him a one-dimensional player.

Braydon Point is elite at both those things. You can match him against another team’s top line in the playoffs and he’ll win that matchup on both sides of the puck. Gaudreau’s line has to be protected and kept away from opponents’ top line or they get absolutely caved in. That makes a world of difference in the overall effectiveness and value of a player.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 09-22-2021 at 12:56 PM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2021, 09:14 AM   #54
robertsfanatic
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

$9M for Johnny is not far fetched so unless he's asking for significantly more this should be done sooner than later.
Old 09-22-2021, 09:14 AM   #55
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Yep that's how I see it.

I mean Treliving can't be all things can he?

A guy that many say is afraid to pull the trigger on a core deal is also the guy that has no hesitation with letting his best player walk to free agency?

I mean he's either a coward or ballsy right? He can't be both.

The Coleman thing is the big one to me. Talked to players, talked to Gaudreau and chose Calgary.

I think it gets done.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:16 AM   #56
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Yep that's how I see it.

I mean Treliving can't be all things can he?

A guy that many say is afraid to pull the trigger on a core deal is also the guy that has no hesitation with letting his best player walk to free agency?

I mean he's either a coward or ballsy right? He can't be both.

The Coleman thing is the big one to me. Talked to players, talked to Gaudreau and chose Calgary.

I think it gets done.
This isn't the same thing. No one is going to be talking about Treliving's courage if Gaudreau walks because it's not courage, it's tragically bad asset management because of the first thing.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2021, 09:17 AM   #57
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, not great news.

The sky isn't falling yet, but things don't look good.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:21 AM   #58
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I’m confused why we are hearing that neither side will make comments on negotiations in season then. To me that contradicts something is close.
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:25 AM   #59
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Treliving has made many incompetent moves that he should have been fired for already. So why is anyone shocked that he is bungling another situation?
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2021, 09:29 AM   #60
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, Guess we will see how this unfolds.

My Guess? Gaudreau walks away and the Flames get nothing after a 4 game sweeps out of the 1st round.

Because Fu** asset management.

Trees motto: getting nothing in return for our core players is better than something....anything.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post: