Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-20-2021, 09:17 AM   #21
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Their everything is better
Compared to Tim Hortons this is true. Even their muffins and mini donuts taste better than Tim's muffins and donuts. Where I work there's a Tim and a McDonalds in the same business area and the Tim's drive through is always busier in the morning which is astonishing when you consider McDonald's coffee and breakfast food is far superior.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2021, 09:21 AM   #22
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Their everything is better
Their Tea is definitely inferior to Tim Hortons. Everything else I agree with.
Knightslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 09:26 AM   #23
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
ummm. no. not once. don't know how anyone could.
I wouldn't act so high and mighty.

Some people have stable routines, and when it gets altered, things can be overlooked. Ever been driving along and have absolutely no recollection of the past 15 minutes? Our brains go on autopilot all the time it's human nature.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2021, 09:29 AM   #24
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslayer View Post
Has this ever happened to anyone here?

I know I watched a true crime episode where a man forgot to drop off his kid to daycare on his way to work and the kid passed away after being in the car all day and he was charged and convicted.

Dropped my wife off at the dentist and had to make a stop at a store. Went in and they were making my order when I remembered and bolted out to grab my son. Thankfully it was only 5 minutes but it's a scary thought knowing I forgot he was with me. What if I wasn't going into a store and going to work? I probably wouldn't have remembered after 5 minutes because my mind would be so occupied.

Anyone else?
When my daughter (17 now) was little she wouldn't sleep. I mean it was like owning a ####ing cyborg.

I would sometimes take her for car rides to nap. If she was asleep when we got home I would leave her in the car to sleep. I mean generally I would hang around the garage, but sometimes a fella needs to grab a beer.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2021, 09:58 AM   #25
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslayer View Post
Their Tea is definitely inferior to Tim Hortons. Everything else I agree with.
Steeeeeeeeeeped.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2021, 10:03 AM   #26
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol I thought this was going to be a joke set up.

I have 2 under 2... done some silly no sleep things, but forgetting them in the car? Be careful fella!
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 10:14 AM   #27
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I, fortunately, have not had this happen to me, but it does happen a lot.

I do have a harmless similar story. It was a long ordeal with my first child. There were pregnancy complications, hospitalization of my wife 1100 kms away from home, kid being born extremely premature (28 weeks/6 months), a roller coaster of a NICU stay, and a very long drive home. We had to drive from Red Deer to Yellowknife (~1500 kms) and had to stop and take the baby out of the care seat every 1 to 1.5 hours, otherwise she could stop breathing in her delicate state. It took like 6 days to get home. Anyway, we finally got home after like 4 months of hell and put the baby in the crib in the nursery that my family set up. Then, exhausted we just relaxed in our house for the first time in 4 months. During the moment, we completely forgot we had a baby. When she woke up and started crying, we were both like, OMG, we have a kid!
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pseudoreality For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2021, 10:17 AM   #28
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I wouldn't act so high and mighty.

Some people have stable routines, and when it gets altered, things can be overlooked. Ever been driving along and have absolutely no recollection of the past 15 minutes? Our brains go on autopilot all the time it's human nature.
Agreed. I'm nearly paranoid that this will happen, so I do the occasional double checks just to be sure (ie: look through the window at the back seat as a forced habit to make sure there's no one there). My wife and I also message each other for confirmation (usually just in the form of, "Thanks for dropping off X today") as a form of gratitude pick me up / double check. I still do not completely trust myself to not make this blunder at least once in my lifetime.

With these double checks, I've never once forgotten my kid in the car, but I've definitely driven right past the day home a few times (it's basically on the same route as work and I don't drive him every day) and had to back track. On one occasion, my kid was like, "Aww, I thought I'd get to go to work with you today."

I saw an article about a grandma who removes a shoe and leaves it in the back with the grandchild when her grandchild is in the car. I guess this works well if you don't always have a kid with you. IMO it's impractical, but if it is effective, who am I to make fun of someone who goes that length to ensure the safety of their loved one?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2021, 10:33 AM   #29
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Steeeeeeeeeeped.
Always steeped.

Glad I'm not the only one hooked on that ####.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 10:44 AM   #30
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
I feel so bad when I read those stories, because I can totally see it happening. My kids are 13 and 15 now, so I think we're good, but man, I remember every day sitting down at my desk and going through my head that I really did drop them off. I remember a couple time going back to my car to make sure I really did drop them off. The closest I ever came was missing the turn a couple times and realizing a few blocks late. Also, living in a place where they'd die pretty quickly on a summer day makes it even more terrifying.

I remember some of those early weeks where one or the other was up literally every hour of the night for weeks in a row, and add in something like a boss calling and saying he needs to talk to you when you get in, and I could totally see being on autopilot especially with a sleeping baby in a rear facing child seat.
Something similar to this happened to me. I dont have young kids anymore, but for years I'd bring my dog with me to work.

It was just part of the morning routine, wake up, get ready for work, grab my stuff which I usually prepare the previous night so I can just grab it and go.

Get the dog, go to work.

But when the Pandemic started and my wife started working from home full time I stopped bringing the dog to work with me.

In the beginning there were a few times I got to work and thought: 'Oh crap! Wheres my dog??'

Before remembering that the world was ending and my wife was riding it out at home with my dog.

It takes nothing.

You do the same routine for years and it only takes a slight hiccup to disturb it. Your wife has an early morning dentist appointment or something and you have to take the kids to school/daycare.

Its not part of your normal routine and once you're in the car your brain just goes to 'Normal Routine Mode.'

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2021, 11:42 AM   #31
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I once forgot my son was in the car with me, but I didn't leave him in the car. He was 3 or 4 and we were driving along to drop off something somewhere. Smokin' in The Boys room came on and I got into it. I cranked up the song and rocked out as I drove to the destination. The song wasn't over but I turned off the vehicle anyway. Then the sudden silence and I hear from the back "Smokded in de boys room!"

I have forgotten to go pick up my kids. All three of them. Each one individually. Each time I was leaving the office and getting into my car with the thought "Must go pick up little Buff". By the time I reached the parking lot exit I was in auto-pilot and drove home. That is something you only do four times!
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2021, 11:43 AM   #32
Stud_McCool
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Reminded me of this short story I read called "Autopilot". Link and story is NSFW.

http://www.creepypasta.org/creepypasta/autopilot

NSFW!
Stud_McCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 11:48 AM   #33
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

We were driving back from Expo 86 in Vancouver, and we stopped at a rest stop near Three Valley Gap. Many hours later we make it home, and my brother asks where our dog is. Many hours later my dad returns, our dog had waited patiently at the rest stop.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2021, 11:52 AM   #34
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

You guys must have way quieter kids then me.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 12:16 PM   #35
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

I can’t remember leaving kids in car, but I do remember being outside with my young son, looking up, and seeing him out on the collector road in front of the house, with traffic stopped, waiting for him.

Feels about as dumb, at least it did for me.
Old 09-20-2021, 01:52 PM   #36
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sometimes I also look down and make sure I remembered to wear pants.
Knightslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 04:20 PM   #37
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
You guys must have way quieter kids then me.
Some adults have learned to tune out the majority of child noise frequencies as a survival mechanism.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2021, 04:56 PM   #38
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Saw a guy driving down the road with new steel toed boots on his roof of his truck with his thermos sticking out the top of one of his boots.

I smiled and pointed .....he smiled and gave me the bird so I laughed, clapped and watched his new boots/ thermos fly off the roof when he gunned the gas and sped off.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to EVERLAST For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2021, 06:58 PM   #39
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

A week? You should probably go check on him. I don’t think humans can survive longer than a few days without water.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 07:34 PM   #40
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I was probably 6 or 7 we went to my dad’s corporate Christmas party at the Blackfoot Inn. I remember it was raining.

On the way home, my dad got out to fill gas and asked my mom to go in and get him a pack of cigarettes. She went in, he filled the gas, and hopped back in the car and drove off with my sister and I in the back seat.

After a few minutes I asked, “Where’s mom?”

Still pretty sure it wasn’t by accident.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post: