Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-11-2017, 04:12 PM   #1
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Negotiating a used truck price at a dealership

I'm going to look at a 2014 Frontier 4x4 that is listed for $26 995. I'll be paying cash with a trade-in and was hoping to meet a budget of $25K all in. Am I dreaming? They say to just go make a reasonable offer but I have no clue what that is. I've only bought privately in the past so I'm not experienced with dealers.

I'm kind of considering F150s as well and there are a few that I like in the $30K range. Do you generally get more haggle room on higher priced vehicles? I may consider increasing my budget if it's a much better value.

I hate car shopping.
burnin_vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 04:56 PM   #2
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

It never hurts to offer but I wouldn't be hopeful. Most used dealers have about $600- $1000 off on used, depending on the vehicle (03 Mazda will have a lot less and a 2016 2500 will have some more). You will also have to pay GST and dealer fees, so if your want to spend $25k look at trucks under $24000. Internet shopping has dramatically changed the dealership pricing strategy over the years, if prices are not in line to begin with, customers will buy elsewhere. You likely already know this, but have them get you the CarProof as well.

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 11-11-2017 at 05:23 PM.
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 05:20 PM   #3
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I'd offer $20k as a starting point. Would definitely be expecting to get it for less than $25k.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 06:33 PM   #4
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

In my experience you can haggle on both the price of their vehicle as well as the price of your trade in.

On your trade in be sure to have print outs on its value so that you can prove your point on that. They won't give you full value of course, but it can be the difference of a few thousand bucks in your favor.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:18 PM   #5
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I like a used car enough, I do a PPI and use the findings (i.e. stuff that needs fixing now or within the next year) as a negotiating tool. You'd be surprised how much those Amvic inspections gloss over, so even if you don't negotiate with it, it gives you a more realistic picture of the car. Last time I bought a car this helped me avoid a 7k suspension bill on one car and allowed me to negotiate 3k on the car I eventually bought (asking was 22k). Yes it costs money, but a PPI is like using a good accountant instead of doing it yourself... always worth it in the long run.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 07:22 PM   #6
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Could always just tell your sales guy what deal you would want to do, and if he says no, then give him your phone number and tell him if they change their mind they can call

Wait for a few days band see what happens. Can also try going closer to end of month when they might be more open to negotiations so they can make their sales targets.

To me $20,000seems like a low ball offer - but like you I also hate buying a new rig
Old 11-11-2017, 07:26 PM   #7
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I talked to a buddy that works at Ford dealership (in the BC interior) and he said the typically have about $4K to play with on used vehicles.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 07:28 PM   #8
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just bought a new car and buying cars now is so much easier than it used to be. I sent out a couple emails, told them what I wanted, and said if we can get close then I'll come in. 2 of 3 dealerships I emailed were very receptive. The one I ended up choosing was simply because I liked the dude i was chatting with. I went in looking for a used car, I had a budget, and I knew what I wanted. With the incentives I ended up getting a new car for the same price and same term.

My advice is decide what you want to spend and what you're happy with. Ask for it and if they accept great. If they don't it's back to the drawing board.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:32 PM   #9
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Be careful with negotiating you’re trade in value and the price of the used truck. They will likely play with values to make it work for them but not necessarily be in your favour.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2017, 08:10 PM   #10
flamefan74
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnin_vernon View Post
I'm going to look at a 2014 Frontier 4x4 that is listed for $26 995. I'll be paying cash with a trade-in and was hoping to meet a budget of $25K all in. Am I dreaming? They say to just go make a reasonable offer but I have no clue what that is. I've only bought privately in the past so I'm not experienced with dealers.

I'm kind of considering F150s as well and there are a few that I like in the $30K range. Do you generally get more haggle room on higher priced vehicles? I may consider increasing my budget if it's a much better value.

I hate car shopping.
After just dealing on a vehicle for myself and for my dad, it never hurts to low ball. Worst they can say is no. Best thing I did on my dad's was to check out the same model over the whole province on Autotrader. Found one 2 hours away that was $4000 cheaper and half the km's. Once the local dealership seen the ad (and it was from a dealership), they were more than willing to beat the other price. Before that, they just kept saying the most they could move was $750. Like someone else mentioned, stick to your number and let them think about it. If your not in a panic to get the vehicle, the ball is in your court.

Also, I'm not sure that it matters how expensive the vehicle is in terms of being able to negotiate. Traded my truck in and they are listing it for $7000 less than they gave me for a trade in value. Buddy was interested in buying it, so went and talked to the dealership. They were hard on their asking price and refused to budge at all, so he bought elsewhere. I guess it also depends on what they paid for that vehicle.
flamefan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 01:09 AM   #11
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The best advice I can give you is to make sure you value the price of the truck and then your used trade in independently.

Come to an agreement on the cost of the truck and than ask them what the value of the trade in would be. If your satisfied with the value you are getting for the trade in than have that come off the cost of the truck. Do keep in mind though that you won't receive market value for your trade in, the dealership will need to leave profit room for them, they are a business after all and they are doing the heavy lifting and taking the inventory risk.

If you aren't happy with what is being offered for a trade in, consider selling the car yourself. If you run the math on how much additional you can bring in by selling the car yourself and than keep track of the actual amount of hours required to fulfill the sale, you will be shocked at how much that works on an hourly basis.

Good luck either way!
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 05:38 AM   #12
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerjones View Post
I just bought a new car and buying cars now is so much easier than it used to be. I sent out a couple emails, told them what I wanted, and said if we can get close then I'll come in. 2 of 3 dealerships I emailed were very receptive. The one I ended up choosing was simply because I liked the dude i was chatting with. I went in looking for a used car, I had a budget, and I knew what I wanted. With the incentives I ended up getting a new car for the same price and same term.

My advice is decide what you want to spend and what you're happy with. Ask for it and if they accept great. If they don't it's back to the drawing board.
''Used to be". Are you 80?

Last edited by 14; 11-12-2017 at 05:41 AM.
14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 05:49 AM   #13
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would suggest, if looking for the best deal, to sell your vehicle privately/elsewhere and coming back to the dealer that has the vehicle you want with cash in hand. "Cash is king". You will have the most bargaining power with cash, you essentially will have none with a trade in. They are not going to want to turn away a fist full of cash; blue book and a saturated used market means they can look for the best price on your trade in however.

Just my two cents.
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 09:42 AM   #14
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stonedbirds View Post
I would suggest, if looking for the best deal, to sell your vehicle privately/elsewhere and coming back to the dealer that has the vehicle you want with cash in hand. "Cash is king". You will have the most bargaining power with cash, you essentially will have none with a trade in. They are not going to want to turn away a fist full of cash; blue book and a saturated used market means they can look for the best price on your trade in however.

Just my two cents.
*Getting you locked into financing is king.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2017, 12:45 PM   #15
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can you play along with the interested in financing bit when negotiating a price then when you walk into the finance guy with the agreed on sales price just say that you've changed your mind and want to pay cash?

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 06:10 PM   #16
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last vehicle we bought we paid with cash, and the business guy at the dealership told us that it made no difference to them how we paid.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:48 AM   #17
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
*Getting you locked into financing is king.
Exactly. The power of bringing cash in hand is actually pretty weak now. Dealers love financing deals as it makes them more money and can help retain a future customer.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to greyshep For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2017, 11:50 AM   #18
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

These days I would probably shop based on 0% financing. But I don't know if they offer that on used vehicles.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:31 PM   #19
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love haggling on cars. Just remember not to get locked into wanting one particular vehicle too badly. If you haven't got up to leave at least once, you are not trying hard enough! Don't be afraid to leave without a deal and let them call you back in a day or two.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:41 PM   #20
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
These days I would probably shop based on 0% financing. But I don't know if they offer that on used vehicles.
They don't.

But it isn't a deal anyways, they just factor the interest into the price.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote