Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2021, 11:26 AM   #4901
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember one day I played one of the best games I have ever had, with respect to ball striking. I shot 76 with 38 putts. In other words, I hit almost every green, then 2-putted them all, with a couple 3-putts. I thought 'that's about as good as I can play' (I have scored lower, but I had never hit the ball better).

Then I turned on the golf channel, and the winner that day shot a 61. One can only dream, right?

Then I saw their scorecard. They had 24 putts, which means 37 golf shots. Then I realized that I took 38 golf shots that day. I took one more shot than the guy that shot a 61! Yes, he was obviously hitting it closer to the hole than me, but the message was clear: the primary difference between him and me was putting.

Ever since then, I spend way more time working on my putting than I used to. And it is starting to make a difference.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2021, 11:28 AM   #4902
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Statistically speaking, the best distance is 17 inches past the hole. This is because it’s the right weight to get the ball to the hole, won’t have you putting through the break and in the event that you do miss, you aren’t faced with a massive come back.

I track my putts and I’ve averaged two putts per hole this year. I did switch to the armlock and that’s definitely helped. But the main thing I’ve done is focused on my chipping and pitching. I realize that my making more 10-15 footers is just not likely. If I can make more than 1-2/10 there, that’s great. But the best way for me to bring my putting down is by leaving key self shorter putts, preferably within 6-8 feet. It’s far from perfect, of course, but it’s definitely impactful.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 11:55 AM   #4903
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm of the belief that you have to putt to the hole with a little extra weight. Two to three feet past the hole is ideal with the major benefit being that if you miss the putt you are able to see the line/break on your return putt assuming that you watch the putt as it goes by the hole. If you don't hit it to the hole you still don't know how the putt will finish.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 12:01 PM   #4904
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I just try to get the ball in the hole with one shot every time. Much easier than putting.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2021, 03:24 PM   #4905
EverfresH15
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It’s also all about tempo. This won’t be for everyone but it has really worked for me. I count to 4. 1,2 and 3 is my take away and 4 is my actual stroke.
EverfresH15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 05:40 PM   #4906
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Golfed today at elbow springs. 10.30 am tee time. Got to sleep in a bit this morning, weather was perfect and the pace of play was slightly ahead of time.

Perfect fall day.

Shot my usual 105……oh well can’t have everything. Going to try again tomorrow at blue devil
Old 09-26-2021, 08:51 PM   #4907
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought I was done for the year but my wife is off this week do I booked off a couple of days too and we're hitting Kananaskis tomorrow. That will likely be the final round making a grand total of 2 x 18 holes and 4 x 9 holes for the season, by far my fewest rounds in many years. Thanks Covid / work. First time ever I wasn't able to golf with any buddies either. Forecast looked great on Friday but now it looks like possible high winds, hopefully not. Oh well, Kananaskis isn't a bad way to go out regardless of the circumstances.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 09:01 PM   #4908
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Banff Springs is really tough when it's windy.
Old 09-26-2021, 09:05 PM   #4909
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Our Mens League windup is on Tuesday night. We started playoffs a month ago and i've moved from 11th place up to 8th in league standings. Tuesday night is the final week of playoffs and I hope to move higher in the standings.
Old 09-26-2021, 09:11 PM   #4910
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been playing Lakeview by our house lately to get a good feel for my new clubs and putter, and my short game really has been transformed with the new putter. Tee-off is still my biggest weakness right now even with my new driver/wood, but mid and short game is looking quite improved just with better sticks to swing.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 09:25 PM   #4911
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rain gear - you can’t beat Galvin Green. It’s the best stuff out there. Lightweight, breathable and waterproof. But you’ll pay for it. I have three or four fleeces, three windbreakers, three goretex jackets and rain pants and I love it all.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2021, 09:51 PM   #4912
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think today was my last round this year. So many leaves on the ground and got really frustrated sifting through them searching for balls. My first year with a membership and got out over 60 times. Got my handicap to 18 and one of my goals was to get it under 20, so success. I had another goal to birdie every hole on the course once over the year, didn’t happen, but birdied 10 different holes at least once. I really enjoyed having a membership, playing “league”, and improving my game. I feel a little golfed out actually, but I know come spring i will be ready to get out there as much as possible again.
Old 09-26-2021, 10:01 PM   #4913
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
Rain gear - you can’t beat Galvin Green. It’s the best stuff out there. Lightweight, breathable and waterproof. But you’ll pay for it. I have three or four fleeces, three windbreakers, three goretex jackets and rain pants and I love it all.
Jesus Christ, there's "you'll pay for it" and "holy f***!!!". I can't pay $400+ for a rain jacket for a handful of rainy golf rounds per year.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2021, 10:02 PM   #4914
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Nanton is a nightmare now with all the leaves on the front 9 covering the fairways. The warm fall kept the leaves on the tree longer than they have in the past The leaf blowers will be out tomorrow blowing them all into the rough and golfers shuffling thier feet hoping to find a golf ball.
Old 09-26-2021, 10:15 PM   #4915
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Banff Springs is really tough when it's windy.
10 through 14 is murder when the wind picks up
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 10:16 PM   #4916
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
10 through 14 is murder when the wind picks up
Yep those were all straight into the fan.

Almost got home in 2 on 18 for a nice bird.
Old 09-27-2021, 06:55 AM   #4917
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Nanton is a nightmare now with all the leaves on the front 9 covering the fairways. The warm fall kept the leaves on the tree longer than they have in the past The leaf blowers will be out tomorrow blowing them all into the rough and golfers shuffling thier feet hoping to find a golf ball.
You’ve got to be playing some fall rules with that (and using Top Flite instead of Pro V’s)? To me, that’s the one major advantage the pros get; they have no lost balls.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 01:28 PM   #4918
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Played Fraserview in Vancouver today. Shot a 96 which is good for me, one of my better rounds this season.

The problem is that I had 44 putts, which is common for me.
I'd break 90 if I could get my putting under control.

Any tips on getting better at putting?
Get a putting mat for practice - it has helped me a lot in making consistent weight and hitting it straight. i'm using the Perfect Practice putting mat.

As others have mentioned, putting past the hole is the most ideal. Past the hole 1 - 2 feet makes a miss ok to putt back into.

Somebody else mentioned the counting, that helps as well with timing. I count 1-4

1 - look at pin
2 - look at ball
3 - end of back swing
4 - end of follow through

I got my average to be down to 2 putts a hole now. It was high 2s before. And I've increased my "automatic putt distance now". A lot happier with my putting game now and helps a bit on my inconsistent chipping game.
bomber317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 02:40 PM   #4919
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Re the 'die at the hole' strategy, I get where you are coming from but I don't agree. I have been on both sides of this, and here is my journey on the subject:

I was never a good putter and got tired of 3 putts, so I focused more on the die at the hole strategy - I became more defensive - in an attempt to reduce the 3 putts. And, to an extent, I think it did. However, the cost is that you rarely make a 1 putt.

If you are dieing it at the hole, it takes a perfect putt in order for it to go in, so your make-rate will be low. It is substantially easier to sink a putt if it still has a little pace at the hole and is therefore still on its line. Your best chance of sinking it is to be aggressive. However, the downside is that if you miss, you might have some work to do coming back.
It's not "at" the hole, the term is "in" the hole.

Putting is learned behavior and everyone's experience is different.

Since I started down this path, my make percentage outside of 10 feet has gone up and my 3 putt percentage has halved. Last year I was 1.9 average and this year it's 1.4. My proximity hasn't improved much year over year.
Old 09-27-2021, 04:53 PM   #4920
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
I think today was my last round this year. So many leaves on the ground and got really frustrated sifting through them searching for balls. My first year with a membership and got out over 60 times. Got my handicap to 18 and one of my goals was to get it under 20, so success. I had another goal to birdie every hole on the course once over the year, didn’t happen, but birdied 10 different holes at least once. I really enjoyed having a membership, playing “league”, and improving my game. I feel a little golfed out actually, but I know come spring i will be ready to get out there as much as possible again.
That is almost the exact same as me. Thanks for doing my writeup for me Derek. Where did you have your membership?
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow