Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:
Default PVC or Plastic Electrical Boxes in Calgary

Just wondering if anybody has seen these anywhere in town:
CARLON 1-Gang Plastic Old Work Electrical Box

I am doing some work in the trailer with 12 volt wiring so metal boxes aren't going to be the best option for me. I have seen these on several American websites, but nobody ships to Canada.

Locally I tried Home Depot, Lowes, and Totem. I also tried looking on Eecol's site but was able to find anything like that. The key with this box, it needs to be 1.25" or less in depth as it will be mounted on 2x2 framing. That means the few plastic boxes that local stores carry are too deep.

Of course, if one of our American members would be willing to grab a couple for me from their local Lowes or Home Depot and ship them up; I would also appreciate it!
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:51 PM   #2
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

Try Graybar, I have been in there before and they carry lots of odds and ends for electricians and such. They may be able to help.
http://www.graybarcanada.com/en/home...t/calgary.aspx
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Superflyer For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
Bindair Dundat
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Try this online store. Scroll down to the sixth box on the page. 1 1/2" deep, with Loomex cable clamps; made out of steel. Made to work in a green 2 x 2 wall (i.e. 1 1/2" x 1 1/2"). If needed (because your lumber has shrunk to 1 3/8"?) can you not furr out the wall finish by 1/8" to bring it flush to the face of the device box(es)?
This is how I have dealt with this issue in the past. No room for any boxfill (whatsoever), but since you're running low-voltage, this should not be a problem in your case.

Cheers, Ron
Bindair Dundat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bindair Dundat For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2012, 06:09 PM   #4
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Yeah, the 1.5" deep box should work in theory. I am just concerned about it being made of steel.

Basically the box is going to be used as a junction box. I have bought this device and will be attaching it to the 12 volt side of my trailer's power supply. It has an inline 5 amp fuse; and the cord it came with wasn't long enough. Even if it was long enough, that would have burried the fuse behind the wall. So this junction box will be used to connect this device to the 12 volt line going to the power supply.

Where my concern with a steel box comes into play is with this being a trailer it will be prone to a lot of vibration as it travels down the road. I know I could wrap a lot of electrical tape around the wire to protect it from rubbing against the sharp edges of the box, but I would rather there be zero possibility of a short circuit.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:16 PM   #5
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can get plastic bushings to protect the wire if you don't clamp it in place with the box clamps.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:05 AM   #6
Bindair Dundat
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Yeah, the 1.5" deep box should work in theory. I am just concerned about it being made of steel.

Basically the box is going to be used as a junction box. I have bought this device and will be attaching it to the 12 volt side of my trailer's power supply. It has an inline 5 amp fuse; and the cord it came with wasn't long enough. Even if it was long enough, that would have burried the fuse behind the wall. So this junction box will be used to connect this device to the 12 volt line going to the power supply.

Where my concern with a steel box comes into play is with this being a trailer it will be prone to a lot of vibration as it travels down the road. I know I could wrap a lot of electrical tape around the wire to protect it from rubbing against the sharp edges of the box, but I would rather there be zero possibility of a short circuit.
For a little extra piece of mind, you can use a short piece of the vinyl jacket which encapsulates standard NMD cable and a wrap (or ten) of e-tape. Put this jacket around the cable and wrap it up with tape prior to pulling the wire into the box and securing it with the "Loomex" (i.e. NMD) clamp. Didn't realize you were referring to a travel trailer, not a mobile home. Regardless, securing it as I suggested will do the job just fine. As Nufy suggested, if you can find the appropriate rubber grommet for the size of the knock-out on the box and the wire dimension, then you can forego the cable clamp entirely.
Hope this helps!
Ron
Bindair Dundat is offline   Reply With Quote