Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2021, 05:28 PM   #81
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Never thought I’d hear concentration camps and organ harvesting referred to as “things I’d do differently”.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2021, 05:36 PM   #82
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
I live in China. Life's pretty good here. Some things I would like done differently, by that's like any country. I don't feel like I'm in danger. The people I know when commenting on the Wenzhou case are reasonable.
Hope you’re not arbitrarily decided to be a spy and put in prison for 3 years. Best of luck.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2021, 06:47 PM   #83
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Never thought I’d hear concentration camps and organ harvesting referred to as “things I’d do differently”.
Hey or you could live in Canada where strungout drug addicts roam the streets and at night you can't go out.

Or in America where everyone owns a gun or else you don't feel safe and if you're a non-white it's best to just stay in your house or risk being shot by the police.

Hyperbole is fun!

I have no idea what is going on in Xinjiang (something for sure) but you can't just trust the news in Canada/US as being 100 % honest just like you can't trust the news here either.

For example last time I was in Canada I watched a CBC documentary investigating Xinjiang. A lot of the Chinese was translating either incorrectly or changed slightly to give a different feeling compared to what the Chinese person was saying. For example at one point they were at a child's birthdays party and they were singing the Happy Birthday song in Chinese. It's the exact same as ours except it is in Chinese. But the subtitles said the children were saying "Long Live the Communist party"

I have no idea what the two Michaels were doing but when it possible that they were spying. Just like China Canada has spies as well.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to savemedrzaius For This Useful Post:
BKQ
Old 09-26-2021, 06:54 PM   #84
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
hey or you could live in canada where strungout drug addicts roam the streets and at night you can't go out.

Or in america where everyone owns a gun or else you don't feel safe and if you're a non-white it's best to just stay in your house or risk being shot by the police.

Hyperbole is fun!

I have no idea what is going on in xinjiang (something for sure) but you can't just trust the news in canada/us as being 100 % honest just like you can't trust the news here either.

For example last time i was in canada i watched a cbc documentary investigating xinjiang. A lot of the chinese was translating either incorrectly or changed slightly to give a different feeling compared to what the chinese person was saying. For example at one point they were at a child's birthdays party and they were singing the happy birthday song in chinese. It's the exact same as ours except it is in chinese. But the subtitles said the children were saying "long live the communist party"

i have no idea what the two michaels were doing but when it possible that they were spying. Just like china canada has spies as well.
lol
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2021, 06:55 PM   #85
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

That's some impressive Stalinist whataboutery on display.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 08:38 PM   #86
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Oh I'm sorry the translation was wrong the concentration camps for the Uyghurs are actually hug hotels. Darn Chinese to English speak and spell.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 08:48 PM   #87
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Hey or you could live in Canada where strungout drug addicts roam the streets and at night you can't go out.

Or in America where everyone owns a gun or else you don't feel safe and if you're a non-white it's best to just stay in your house or risk being shot by the police.

Hyperbole is fun!

I have no idea what is going on in Xinjiang (something for sure) but you can't just trust the news in Canada/US as being 100 % honest just like you can't trust the news here either.

For example last time I was in Canada I watched a CBC documentary investigating Xinjiang. A lot of the Chinese was translating either incorrectly or changed slightly to give a different feeling compared to what the Chinese person was saying. For example at one point they were at a child's birthdays party and they were singing the Happy Birthday song in Chinese. It's the exact same as ours except it is in Chinese. But the subtitles said the children were saying "Long Live the Communist party"

I have no idea what the two Michaels were doing but when it possible that they were spying. Just like China Canada has spies as well.
Can you post to us a picture of Tiananmen Square from 1989 from where you are?

Can you view this?

https://www.google.com/search?q=tian...bih=1297&dpr=1

Just asking.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2021, 08:52 PM   #88
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Speaking of Tiannmen Square, 100s arrested yesterday in Hong Kong for a vigil.

https://news.sky.com/story/tiananmen...kdown-12417507
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 09:06 PM   #89
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Who is worse China or North Korea?
Knightslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 09:08 PM   #90
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslayer View Post
Who is worse China or North Korea?
North Korea can't even launch a missile directly upward...so yeah
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 12:04 AM   #91
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I literally could not walk 2 blocks without running into people who escaped China for a better life in Canada. I don't think you could say the same thing in China but reversed. And almost every Western country could say the same thing. That has to tell you something.
Old 09-27-2021, 02:23 AM   #92
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Hyperbole is fun!

Reading this, I understand entirely, why you feel safe in China.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 04:33 AM   #93
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I literally could not walk 2 blocks without running into people who escaped China for a better life in Canada. I don't think you could say the same thing in China but reversed. And almost every Western country could say the same thing. That has to tell you something.
Of course Canada is a superior country. Makes you wonder why one of the Micheals chose to go promote such a horrible place in North Korea. Why he chose to promote a place that treats its citizens worse than the way he was treated in China. Why he was buddies with a dictator that rapes, tortures, poisons its own citizens.

And we are made to believe he is a hero.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyt...ights.amp.html

Quote:
People accused of political crimes are arrested and sentenced to prison camps without trials, while their families are often kept in the dark about their whereabouts. Up to 120,000 inmates were in the country’s four major political prisons in 2014 and were subjected to gruesome conditions, according to#the United Nations report.

Prisoners are starved, forced to work, tortured and raped. Reproductive rights are denied through forced abortions and infanticide. Some are executed — sometimes in public. Hundreds of thousands of political prisoners have died in the camps over the past 50 years, the United Nations report found.

In addition to the political camps, North Korea also operates prisons for those accused of ordinary crimes. Some prisons are short-term labor camps. Others hold prisoners who face long-term torture, starvation and other suffering.
Now please tell me again why we should care that he was locked up for 1000 days?

We should send him to the place he was promoting for another 1000 days.
Old 09-27-2021, 06:54 AM   #94
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Do you have news sources that talk about his involve with NK? So far I’ve only seen your posts and never heard it mentioned anywhere else.

And just because he maybe has a sketchy profession, doesn’t mean he’s not entitled to due process, a fair trial and humane treatment. No one deserves to be arrested for political bargaining power based on made up charges.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 07:31 AM   #95
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Do you have news sources that talk about his involve with NK? So far I’ve only seen your posts and never heard it mentioned anywhere else.

And just because he maybe has a sketchy profession, doesn’t mean he’s not entitled to due process, a fair trial and humane treatment. No one deserves to be arrested for political bargaining power based on made up charges.
It's not hard to find. He's a real Canadian hero.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.bbc....a-46552644.amp

Quote:
He runs an organisation called the Paektu Cultural Exchange, which promotes tourism and investment into North Korea.

He facilitated the well-publicised and unlikely friendship between Mr Kim and the American basketball star Dennis Rodman.
Mr Spavor arranged for the pair to meet in 2013, describing the visit as a "blast".

"That was the most amazing experience I've had in my life... we hung out for three days," he told Reuters news agency last year.

Images taken at the time, and shared on social media, show Mr Spavor drinking long island iced teas with Mr Kim after going jet-skiing near the port city of Wonsan.
He's just like you and me!

Old 09-27-2021, 07:34 AM   #96
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

So people didn't know about this? I just assumed it was common knowledge.
Old 09-27-2021, 07:44 AM   #97
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's been no secret he did business in North Korea, it's been mentioned in pretty much every article written about the guy. This isn't a surprise.

It's the part where he got kidnapped to be used as a political tool without a real trial that people have an issue with. If he did something actually wrong, by all means, arrest him and prove it.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 07:45 AM   #98
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Who called them heroes?

More hand waving bull####.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 07:48 AM   #99
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

He is not entitled to anything when in North Korea or China. He should know that as he had a business promoting North Korea. You can't go to a different part of the world and expect the same decency and laws as we have here in Canada.

It's kind of like when a guy who abuses animals at the running with the bulls gets killed by a bull. He didn't deserve to be killed by a bull but it's different than if an innocent bystander got killed by a bull.
Old 09-27-2021, 07:53 AM   #100
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
It's been no secret he did business in North Korea, it's been mentioned in pretty much every article written about the guy. This isn't a surprise.

It's the part where he got kidnapped to be used as a political tool without a real trial that people have an issue with. If he did something actually wrong, by all means, arrest him and prove it.
Both were arrested as political tools. You think Huawei is the first company to have a shell company that makes shady deals? The whole premise of detaining her was completely weak. Anyways I'm saying both sides are wrong and Canada got dragged into it.
The Following User Says Thank You to savemedrzaius For This Useful Post:
BKQ