Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: When will the ring road be completed?
1-3 years 8 3.85%
4-7 years 91 43.75%
7-10 years 65 31.25%
10-20 years 20 9.62%
Never 24 11.54%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-23-2021, 03:04 PM   #4381
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Anyone know when they might connect the missing link on airport trail where it turns into 96 ave ne? I’m talking about the little loop that you have to do between 36 st ne and metis trail ne. Right now you have to detour down to 88 ave ne.

Any info?
According to the project webpage on calgary.ca the new section between 36th St and Metis Trail will open next Thursday.

Quote:
Project update - August, 2021
Airport Trail Extension Opening September 2021

The Airport Trail extension between Metis Trail and 36 Street N.E. will be opening September 30, to complete the Deerfoot to Stoney Trail link, and provide Calgarians with more options and flexibility to get to Calgary International Airport.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2021, 03:53 PM   #4382
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Any update on when the portion from Fish Creek Blvd to 22X will open in the SW? Is it still October 1st? I have several trips to Okotoks and area to make this week from West Springs and it would be helpful to use the new road!

Thanks!
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 03:54 PM   #4383
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was just going to post the same question. Not sure if October 1 is still realistic as an opening date?
Calgary14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 04:11 PM   #4384
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

FYI, I just called the number on the site http://www.swcrrproject.com/

The rep said no definitive date has been officially set other than "fall 2021" If anybody else has any inside info, that would be appreciated.

Thanks!
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 05:32 PM   #4385
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Nothing official, but I just drove through the area. Other than a few isolated lanes of paving, things are looking pretty close to ready. I’d say there’s a good chance October 1 happens.
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 05:52 PM   #4386
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It seems like things are wrapping up at a high level. My guess is they have a ceremony on the 1st, then close half the lanes and reduce speeds again for minor touch ups.
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 05:54 PM   #4387
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

I live in Valley Ridge, and the constant change around my area is pretty interesting. I've tried to find an overhead showing the eventual plan and how the exits will work, but all I've been able to find are the youtube 3D flybys that aren't easy to see how it will all work. Anybody know if some aerial plans are available to the public?
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 06:07 PM   #4388
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rasta-masta View Post
I live in Valley Ridge, and the constant change around my area is pretty interesting. I've tried to find an overhead showing the eventual plan and how the exits will work, but all I've been able to find are the youtube 3D flybys that aren't easy to see how it will all work. Anybody know if some aerial plans are available to the public?
This?

https://westringroad.ca/wp-content/u...lan_121520.pdf

This also shows the cross sections; gives a bit more detail.

https://westringroad.ca/wp-content/u...ons_121620.pdf
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2021, 06:39 PM   #4389
the-rasta-masta
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Exactly what I was searching for. Thank you!
the-rasta-masta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 09:47 PM   #4390
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

I can’t remember whether there’s a calgary roads thread or not, so I’ll just use this one.

Airport Trail, between 36th and Metis has had its lines painted, and the jersey barriers closing it off are all gone.

It looks like all it would take to open it up is to reprogram the lights and move some plastic barriers.

Around The end of July I saw an article saying they were looking to open it in 2 months, which brings us to about now.

I bet Airport Trail will be fully open this week sometime.
Old 09-26-2021, 11:21 PM   #4391
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Anyone know when they might connect the missing link on airport trail where it turns into 96 ave ne? I’m talking about the little loop that you have to do between 36 st ne and metis trail ne. Right now you have to detour down to 88 ave ne.

Any info?
According to the project webpage on calgary.ca the new section between 36th St and Metis Trail will open next Thursday.

Quote:
Project update - August, 2021
Airport Trail Extension Opening September 2021

The Airport Trail extension between Metis Trail and 36 Street N.E. will be opening September 30, to complete the Deerfoot to Stoney Trail link, and provide Calgarians with more options and flexibility to get to Calgary International Airport.
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2021, 10:05 AM   #4392
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone (ie. Acey) know if there will be phased openings to the WRR projects?

It seems like everything from the new bridge to OBCR could be ready a lot sooner than the south section...rough ETA?
powderjunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 11:16 AM   #4393
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

I would think the north segment may open prior as soon as the bridges are complete as it's a separate contract, but anything south of that would be blocked off. I think OBCR connection falls under the south segment, which has completion of Fall 2024?
Old 09-27-2021, 12:37 PM   #4394
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
I would think the north segment may open prior as soon as the bridges are complete as it's a separate contract, but anything south of that would be blocked off. I think OBCR connection falls under the south segment, which has completion of Fall 2024?

Seems unfortunate for OBCR to fall into the south section; are they different contractors? Getting that part open sooner would relieve pressure at Bow/Sarcee (especially the looooooong lineups to turn left off Bow)
powderjunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 12:47 PM   #4395
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just drove near the south portion and it looks to be well on track, or atleast from the south side on 22x. Hopefully Oct 1 is still doable as its coming up soon
Calgary14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 01:17 PM   #4396
boosterjuice
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Just drove near the south portion and it looks to be well on track, or atleast from the south side on 22x. Hopefully Oct 1 is still doable as its coming up soon
Let's hope so, but I wouldn't bet any money on it.

I remember in 2013 when the SE portion of the ring road was scheduled to open in October and got pushed back to mid-Nov opening at the last minute.

I don't see any traffic advisories on the SWRR website showing an opening date. I also haven't seen any news articles indicating an Oct 1 opening.
boosterjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 05:04 PM   #4397
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I drove on the new 14 Street overpass the other day. I think that it works well. The teardrop roundabouts don't need to be entered unless you are actually crossing Stoney, so a lot of the traffic bypasses those anyway.

My sister-in-law lives on the east side of Evanston, so this makes it easier for us to get there and also gives her access to the shops in Panorama. The whole thing is way overdue, but it is nice to finally see it open.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2021, 08:09 PM   #4398
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Seems unfortunate for OBCR to fall into the south section; are they different contractors? Getting that part open sooner would relieve pressure at Bow/Sarcee (especially the looooooong lineups to turn left off Bow)
There are in fact three contracts:
  • the new bridge across the Bow, and related work to integrate it with the existing Stoney Trail NW; awarded to Flatiron/AECON,
  • the "North Project", which includes all the improvements south of the river to the Trans-Canada and the interchanges with Stoney Trail and Valley Ridge Blvd; this also includes the new Stoney Trail SW up the hill as far south as, but not including, the interchange at Old Banff Coach Road; awarded to EllisDon,
  • the "South Project", consisting of everything else including the interchanges at Old Banff Coach Road, Bow Trail, 17th Ave and Highway 8; awarded to Calgary Safelink Partners, a consortium of Carmacks, Graham Infrastructure and Vinci Highways,

The South Project didn't even kick off until last year, and it's not forecast to be done until 2024. That said they've already done at lot of work near OBCR; that section may open earlier.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2021, 08:55 PM   #4399
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Does anyone (ie. Acey) know if there will be phased openings to the WRR projects?

It seems like everything from the new bridge to OBCR could be ready a lot sooner than the south section...rough ETA?
The delay for the west leg, allegedly due to Enmax, has really thrown off my understanding of the timeline. My guess is that the balance of the west leg work was scheduled for October 1, 2022, as every Stoney/Henday leg has been an October 1 opening. Whether or not that has been extended... I have no idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosterjuice View Post
Let's hope so, but I wouldn't bet any money on it.

I remember in 2013 when the SE portion of the ring road was scheduled to open in October and got pushed back to mid-Nov opening at the last minute.

I don't see any traffic advisories on the SWRR website showing an opening date. I also haven't seen any news articles indicating an Oct 1 opening.
It wasn't really last minute as there were bridge decks that literally hadn't been poured, so it was clear that it wasn't ready. In this case, every interchange is already open except one, and all major work has been done there for quite some time. No guarantee that it opens Friday, but I feel they're ahead of Henday NE who had a lot of last minute things to do, and still managed full availability.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 11:39 AM   #4400
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Looks like it's (kinda) announced now - the SW portion opens Saturday, October 2nd at approximately 4:00pm. Unfortunately I can't link it yet [insiderrr]
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sleepingmoose For This Useful Post: