Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-23-2021, 02:00 PM   #3741
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Familia View Post
How is the New Day still a thing? Feels like they have been around longer than the nWo….
Think it's because they are actually still good for the most part.

You have three guys that are good workers in the ring, and who are at worst passable on the mic. They've done a good job of rotating who "The Guy" in the team is, first with Kofi getting his push, and now with Big E.

And they did the right thing by not doing some forced breakup angle, or by adding members to the group causing bloat.

Plus I think they’ve always pushed merchandise, which is big for Vince too.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 09-23-2021 at 02:08 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 02:07 PM   #3742
MacFlame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
How is the New Day still a thing? Feels like they have been around longer than the nWo….
Apparently. I just wished they didn't sink Kofi as much as they have in the past. Maybe Big E can be intriguing at some point, but I just haven't seen it yet.....just too "cartoony" to me. It's hard for me to take him seriously.

The WWE is in desperate need of babyfaces that are good workers as well. Almost all of their current ones are so generic...they need something new. I really do believe Balor has the capability of being that guy, but he seems to be in the background...barely relevant, so perhaps I'm missing something with him.

Some of the best babyfaces were originally heels, so perhaps one can turn soon to give the storylines some must needed juice.

Last edited by MacFlame; 09-23-2021 at 02:10 PM.
MacFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 10:22 PM   #3743
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

WWE just feels so stale, cartoony, and fake. The New Day perfectly embodies all three and is a general reflection on the state of the entire company.
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
The Familia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 11:29 PM   #3744
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
WWE just feels so stale, cartoony, and fake. The New Day perfectly embodies all three and is a general reflection on the state of the entire company.
A large chunk of that roster is cartoony, fake, and too obsessed with social media posing (as they're instructed to do). It makes them look weak, non-threatening, and not taking professional wrestling seriously. And that applies to NXT, Raw, and Smackdown.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 01:50 PM   #3745
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Callis' twitter game is pretty strong.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1441457060500082693
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2021, 06:06 PM   #3746
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

LET’s ####ING GO!!

https://twitter.com/user/status/1441527051710713862
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scorch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2021, 01:30 AM   #3747
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Something I realized when I was watching Dynamite this week; I think AEW has kind of outgrown Cody. I wasn't really interested in seeing him back, the crowd had turned on him, and there weren't any feuds I could think of him getting into that would intrigue me.

Dude is in definite need of a heel turn, but I think he might have just been lapped by the rest of the roster and the new signings.
Old 09-25-2021, 08:37 AM   #3748
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cody is the guy the WWE was right about.

He’s just not that good. He thinks he’s good, and he wishes he were a main eventer, but in reality he’s not much more than a mid-card stepping stone.

Personally I wasn’t even a fan in the early days of AEW when he was getting force fed way too much tv time
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2021, 08:44 AM   #3749
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Cody has always been that mid card guy. I'll be honest his two best characters were handsome Cody, and Stardust.

To me he's just kind of a meh guy in AEW and with the new influx of talent and the rumor of Bray Wyatt starting this week, he's a guy that should really come off of the roster and sit in the office.

I worry a bit about new guy addiction with AEW. They've done a great job of pumping things up with Bryan, Adam Cole (Baybee) and Punk. But you get into the problem eventually where the fans get more addicted to the surprise then anything else. I think that AEW needs to spend the next little while not really throwing new guys into the mix, and focus on the build of their current roster.

I also strongly think that the AEW resists the temptation to bring in Bray as the fiend or whatever they're going to call him. As creative as he is, I didn't think that Bray was all that strong of a worker in that getup, and people lost interest in him as it was a pretty one dimensional character (though his work with Bliss was the best part of the Fiend).

I'd rather they bring back the revival preacher Bray Wyatt which made really exceptional promo's and played to more of a managers role.

Part of me really thinks though that Bray should go to Impact at least for a while where he could be a big fish in a small pond.

As for Smackdown last night, I thought it was overall not all that interesting, and the Becky as a heel instead of a tweener to me doesn't work, and looking at it that's on Becky for pretty much demanding that she come back as a heel.

As a heel it makes the man character un interesting.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 09:37 AM   #3750
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Adam Cole (Bay Bay)
Fyp

Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 09:40 AM   #3751
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So looking at the Extreme rules ppv. That one ppv of all things extreme. yargh tables ladders and chairs. Hell in a cell, strap maches. Mae Young's corpse on a pole match. The possibility for insanity is endless.

Um, there's one "Extreme match" The nebulous "Extreme Rules" With Reigns against Demon, and the WWE pretty much gave away that match when they announced Reigns against Lesnar at crown jewel, because there's no point having it if Reigns isn't the champion.

Its really not a great looking card, or an interesting one and certainly not extreme. So I've put very little thoughts into predictions.

Reigns vs Demon - Like I said they pretty much gave the ending of this away, and they're not doing a Balor against Brock match at Crown Jewel. So Balor gets ripped in half and Brock comes out at the end of the match. The only other thing I could see happening is Heyman sells out Reigns.

Becky Lynch against Bianca Belair - they're not taking the belt off of the man, and their newest heel. Bianca enters the eat poop part of her push.

Charlotte Flair vs Bliss - They have to have a title change in this card or the fans will boo it out of the building. Alexa is getting a lot of pops with her Harley character, so I expect they're going to want to establish her credibility in the ring, so take Alexa. the bet is if we see determined Flair, or I'm losing the belt lazy flair

Priest vs Hardy vs Sheamus for the US title - They're not taking the belt off of Priest yet. Hardy is a glorified jobber at this point, Sheamus is the guy made to make that other guy look good. They want to push Priest as the next big thing.

The Uso's versus the Street profits - Could be a the best match on the card. But the USO's are tied hard to the Blood line so they can't lose here.

Liv against Carmella - Live works hard and has improved leaps and bounds. Carmella has really forgotten how to work a match over the last year. Liv needs the win, Carmella doesn't.

Big E vs Bobby Lashley - Bobby is awesome, there I've said it, his pairing with MVP has really bumped him. Big E needs the belt. Bobby doesn't have a lot of issues with Goldbery. So look at Goldberg to screw Lashley and for Lashley to throw Goldberg's kid off the top of a building. Big E retains.

Drew McIntyre vs Jinder Mahal - Who fricken cares, Drew has just slid right down the card. This match ends when Drew and Jinder hug it out and play air guitar together.

Old 09-26-2021, 07:28 PM   #3752
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I was surprised by the match between Charlotte and Alexa Bliss, it was a physical hard hitting well put together match.

The opening 6 man tag was very good as well, though they're giving away a Lashley vs Big E match on Raw tomorrow.

Old 09-26-2021, 08:50 PM   #3753
TBone290
First Line Centre

Exp:

The turnbuckle gave out? lol
that's one way to not make Balor look weak
TBone290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 09:07 PM   #3754
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Without going into my usual indepth match by match review. I was surprised at how good this event was, I mean I groused about calling it Extreme Rules with only one extreme rules match, no cage matches or anything.

But top to bottom, this was pretty solid with all of the matches having a nice bit of hard hitting physicality, Honestly the worst match of the night was Bliss and Charlotte, and I thought it was a pretty good match, and Bliss bought out the not lazy Charlotte.

Even the main event where the demon was revived and they had the segment with the red haze, the smoke and they were fighting with the Demon soundtrack playing had a real kind of cool hollywood feel.

But at the same time, they broke the CaptainCrunch cardinal rule of PPV's. You can't end the two main event matches without some kind of resolution.

Sasha coming out and interrupting the Belair Becky match to me was a wrong decision. I mean I know they couldn't have Becky lose in her first title defense, and they couldn't make Belair look weak. So they interjected Sasha into it. I mean frankly and I'm going to say it, Becky is just not a good heel to me, because she changed her character from a a$$ kicker looking for a straight up fight to a slimy villain. But fine.

But the next event which was a really good match was ended on a ridiculous rope break. You can't really have a main event end like that, it felt like WCW, I was waiting for Russo to be revealed as the guy who broke the ropes.

But I will say that Roman's selling of the ball shot was a highlight of the night for me.

My grade B+

Best match of the night tie between the 6 man tag to start the night and the main event.

Old 09-27-2021, 11:49 AM   #3755
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Feels like the Bliss character is wrapping up and will be taken off of tv for a few months. I expect that she's going to do something crazy tonight and either be suspended, or they'll do the typical injury thing.

Or, she does something crazy and WWE does the Mick Foley lost in cleveland junk where she's locked in a mental home and comes back as the old Bliss.

Who knows. I actually like this version of her, and plainly she worked her a## off to get it over, as she's been getting serious pops and had a good match last night with Flair.

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/20...medium=twitter

Old 09-27-2021, 09:46 PM   #3756
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

You know that you have the wrong kind of heel heat as Eva Marie when Bazler comes out breaks your arm and the fans chant one more time.

What's going on with the woman's division, first Nia goes out long term. Then Alexa is being pulled off of tv for a few months and now Eva who came back with big fan fair.

Old 09-27-2021, 09:49 PM   #3757
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1442697599073595394

Old 09-30-2021, 04:43 PM   #3758
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Loved seeing Sammy go over Miro last night. That's exactly how AEW needs to be using most of these ex-WWE guys. Have them tear through some of the established stars to give them some extra legitimacy, and then put one of your rising stars over them.

Sammy is gonna be super fun as TNT champ.
Old 09-30-2021, 04:55 PM   #3759
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, reading the dirt sheets today, it sounds like TK took away pretty much all of the EVP powers The Elite had and he's been handling most of the booking himself for a while.
Old 10-01-2021, 03:49 PM   #3760
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm still surprised at how over Adam Cole is. Like he's supposed to be an a-hole heel in the Elite, but the fans go bananas for his entrance.

BOOM