Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2017, 02:54 PM   #21
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bunk hasn't been with the city for a couple of years now...
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 02:55 PM   #22
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Only thing I can think of is that by moving the onramp that is a left hand merge to the right side, they can fill in that central part and jog the lanes to create an additional thru lane.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 02:57 PM   #23
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Totally unrelated, but I finally looked up what they are doing at Deerfoot and 17th/Blackfoot. Didn't realize they are building a new dedicated bridge for a BRT route. Funny how the ready to enrage trolls weren't too concerned about that... since those busses won't go anywhere near 'rich people'.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:50 PM   #24
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

For whatever reason the short term plan from last year is pretty hard to find on their website. Here it is: http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation...ended-plan.pdf

Looks like widening the bridges for additional lanes at Memorial, the Bow River and over Bow Trail for the Northbound bridge.
Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 04:04 PM   #25
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Totally unrelated, but I finally looked up what they are doing at Deerfoot and 17th/Blackfoot. Didn't realize they are building a new dedicated bridge for a BRT route. Funny how the ready to enrage trolls weren't too concerned about that... since those busses won't go anywhere near 'rich people'.
I knew they were doing that but perhaps the city have tried to also figure out a way to incorporate the transit/pedestrian bridge into the 17th Avenue bridge over Deerfoot to try and solve some of the issues with getting onto and off the freeway in that area. I guess that would have been asking too much though.
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 06:23 PM   #26
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

It never tires how everyone and their dog is a transportation design expert.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:06 AM   #27
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
If it makes you feel any better we're also all NHL coaches/GM's, lawyers and graphic designers.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2017, 10:26 AM   #28
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't forget art critics.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:29 AM   #29
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was complaining about this not long ago before any of the construction stuff was up and all they'd done was re-draw the lanes, but it's progressed into full on construction mode quite quickly. At least now that there are cones everywhere, people will be driving more carefully, but when it's snowing and dark the thing is still going to be a death trap. I think I'm just going to go all the way out to Sarcee.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:38 AM   #30
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I was complaining about this not long ago before any of the construction stuff was up and all they'd done was re-draw the lanes, but it's progressed into full on construction mode quite quickly. At least now that there are cones everywhere, people will be driving more carefully, but when it's snowing and dark the thing is still going to be a death trap. I think I'm just going to go all the way out to Sarcee.
I drove Northbound over the bridge last night, and there were some sharp mini curves in the lanes. Especially when a little bit snowy, you are going to want to drive through that area pretty slowly.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:01 AM   #31
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's exactly what I was complaining about - the way they've drawn the lanes is nonsense, swerving unexpectedly while narrowing at the same time towards the north end of the bridge. You're right, even worse with snow on the ground.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:04 AM   #32
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Same with 12th Ave these days.. Your lane disappears before your very eyes on 11th st. Sooo dumb
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 01:20 PM   #33
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
I understand it will also have an appropriate sidewalk and bike-path type lane as well? If so, that'd be great.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 05:31 PM   #34
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut View Post

Please don't interpret my comment as being negative about the existing configuration of that area or what they're currently doing. Because of traffic volume that area has exceeded it's designed capacity a long time ago.

It's great that the entire transitway is being built and I would hope it will alleviate some of the issues that transit causes on 17th Ave over the Deerfoot. I also know that the province is responsible for the Deerfoot still. If there could have been some savings and/or efficiencies on 17th by incorporating a separate bus/pedestrian bridge into the existing infrastructure than that would have been great. I'm actually hoping they'll be turning the old sidewalks on the 17th Ave bridge into at least another lane.

I wasn't pretending to be a transportation design expert at all. That being said, way back when I was in University I took several Transportation Economics courses. That topic may sound boring as heck but they were probably the most interesting Economics courses I took (which I realize isn't saying much). Additional infrastructure money spent for transit lanes and car pool lanes was a poor return on investment because of poor utilization. Unless there's buses running on it almost all of the time it's going to be asphalt that could be shared with other vehicles.
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 06:19 PM   #35
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

For those unfamiliar with the lane realignment...

Last edited by GreatWhiteEbola; 11-04-2017 at 10:15 AM.
GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreatWhiteEbola For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2017, 07:29 PM   #36
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatWhiteEbola View Post
For those unfamiliar with the lane realignment...

Heh, way to wait in that lane to the very end just before it forces you to turn and then cut across the two lanes to get in front of those two vehicles.

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2017, 07:38 PM   #37
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Heh, way to wait in that lane to the very end just before it forces you to turn and then cut across the two lanes to get in front of those two vehicles.

Ha, I knew that would come up...

I tried getting over earlier but the Santa Fe(?) was accelerating and decelerating, not really giving me an opportunity, then the Jetta was going about 35 km/h... normally I would have been in the left lane, well in advance of the merge.

And.. my lane change was completed almost at the point of the merge!!! and.. I changed one lane!!!

Last edited by GreatWhiteEbola; 11-02-2017 at 07:41 PM.
GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:13 AM   #38
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Your date is wrong. It was November 3, not February 11.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:34 AM   #39
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Based on that video, I struggle to see how navigating that stretch of road is difficult. The barriers make it very obvious where the lanes will jog and the lane markings seemed pretty clear to me. This is standard construction zone type changes. Not sure where this "death trap" talk is coming from?
Old 11-03-2017, 08:48 AM   #40
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post

??? That's nowhere near where it forces you to turn. He couldn't have changed into the far left lane any sooner. That stretch of Crowchild is funny. Everyone is always in such a rush to get into their lanes they leave the entire right lane open. In Calgary we have this weird super polite driving thing going on that actually slows down traffic. Take Memorial east bound during rush hour for instance. There is even a sign that says alternate during times of congestion but people are so busy tripping over each other to try and get into the right lane first that it backs up past the 14th st. exit. This effectively blocks a bunch of vehicles that would be otherwise leaving memorial.

Crowchild is just as bad. If they didn't want cars to drive in them they wouldn't make the lanes so long. As long as your changing lanes when it's still dotted you're not doing anything wrong.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kevman For This Useful Post:

Tags
construction , crowchild , expressway , spendshi , traffic