Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2011, 08:22 AM   #1
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:
Default Bed suggestions

so i'm looking for a new bed to finally replace the one i've had for over a decade, but i've never actually shopped for one and don't really know what i'm looking for. i know i want a queen size and prefer a firmer mattress over a pillowy soft one, but other then that it's wide open. anyone with more experience in these matters (brands, where to buy, etc) would be welcome to give advice
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:38 AM   #2
SeeBass
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sears Home Sense as they have a good selection and a great return policy.

If you like a firm mattress I would suggest a high end foam one. I got one of those they are amazing. They cost more but worth it.
SeeBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:54 AM   #3
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is a personal decision. Take the time and do the work. This is something you use every day of your life so get it right.
Go to various stores, lay on the beds, make lists and narrow it down. Once you have it narrowed to 2 or 3 beds go back and lay on them again. Also, now is the time for new pillows...check the styles out and get something that works for you...your sleep will thank you.

Some people like firm beds...some like soft...you need to do the work.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:16 AM   #4
HockeyPuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I recently bought a new bed. The wife and I went to Mattress Mattress on a recommendation and the sales person gave us a "beducation". Sounds lame, but it actually was quite informative. We didn't buy a mattress from them, but the info turned out to be quite useful. I would recommend taking the time to go in and speak to them.

We ended up buying a king size bed with a latex pillow top. I was under the impression that a memory foam pillow top would be the way to go, but after the "beducation", apparently it's not.

But Cheese it correct - it's a personal thing - go try out various mattresses and go with the one that feels the best.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:17 AM   #5
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been quite pleased with Sleep Country. Always barter with them and you'll get some sort of deal.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:35 AM   #6
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Go King or go home!
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:38 AM   #7
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Here's some shopping knowledge.

1. Cheap doesn't equal bad.
2. Expensive doesn't equal good.
3. Never pay more than 50% of the sticker (seriously).
4. Be a dork and lay on mattresses for a good 10-15 minutes each. It's worth the time.
5. Take your spouse/partner (if applicable). Renting a companion is not recommended.

I owned a "Top of the line" mattress and was very, very happy with it. My latest purchase was only $400 (discount from ~$900) and has given me 6 months of fantastic sleep with no concerns about the quality.
WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:45 AM   #8
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I am also shopping for a bed and find this thread informative, thank you.

There are so many dang choices, and so many different prices. What brands are all your beds?

God that sounded so creepy.. but tell me. Thanks.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:50 AM   #9
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Go King or go home!
the extra price for a king is totally worth it if you have the space. not to mention, the great discounts on clearance king size sheets, quilts, duvets etc that are always available because most everyone else has a queen, and queen sizes sell out
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:08 AM   #10
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Another vote for sleep country.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:13 AM   #11
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have gone through bed hell the last 4 months. I have gone through 2 Serta Eurotops purchased at Costco and they have both gone soft within a few weeks of sleeping in them. I feel like I should weigh 500 lbs, but I don't.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:16 AM   #12
Starfishy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
the extra price for a king is totally worth it if you have the space. not to mention, the great discounts on clearance king size sheets, quilts, duvets etc that are always available because most everyone else has a queen, and queen sizes sell out
I would be very interested in where to find one of these deals. Right now I am currently in the market for a new king size quilt, sheets and duvet. You don't know of a sale now do you?
Starfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:21 AM   #13
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I purchased a Simmonds Beauty Rest last month. Firm, pocket coil with 3 inch (I think) pillow top. Best purchase I've made in a long time. Changed my life.

But yeah, it's definitely a personal thing.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:22 AM   #14
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfishy View Post
I would be very interested in where to find one of these deals. Right now I am currently in the market for a new king size quilt, sheets and duvet. You don't know of a sale now do you?
My wife found a great deal at Winners - that was some time ago and their inventory always seems to change - but worth checking out.

To the OP- I bought my bed at Leons and had a good experience. Some of their sales people aren't great - but if you go to the one down by Macleod try to get "Paul" - he's a standup guy and doesn't apply any pressure.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:30 AM   #15
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

some tips:
-stiff doesn't equal support.
I worked in a mattress shop a few years ago, and everyone always came in asking for a firm bed, which always led me to ask whether they were looking for a firm bed, or a supportive bed.
Plenty of softer beds, provide just as much support as a firm bed.

-A lot of retailers will try to dazzle you with the mattress's spring count. You might think that a higher spring count equals higher quality and better support but this is often not true.

-A lot of mattress manufacturers run their helical lacing (thin wires linking the independent springs) head to toe, which can cause the hammock effect. It's generally better to find one with helical lacing running across the bed, from side to side.

-Pay attention to any awkward stairwells, or small elevators you will need to use to get the mattress into your place...most mattresses with a boarder wire don't have a large of range of motion when bending, without causing permanent damage.

-When you're looking at pillow top construction, latex is a good thing to have, because it's an open cell foam, meaning it won't trap body heat and still provides lots of comfort.

-Don't get sucked in to a bed because it includes memory foam. Memory foam, in the thin layers usually provided in a typical pillow top, doesn't really give you any noticeable added benefit. It's kind of a buzz word to get people excited about the mattress.

-Stay away from "full" memory foam beds, unless you have serious back problems; memory foam is a closed cell foam, which means it doesn't dissipate heat very well. Men are generally "hot" sleepers, so the build up of heat can make for an uncomfortable night. A lot of memory foam mattresses aren't a full slab of memory foam either...Generally you get about 4-5" of memory foam on top of a generic foam base.

-A box spring is an important part of the whole "sleep system", so don't try to skip out (unless the mattress is specifically designed to go with out i.e. Ikea)
The box spring amounts to about 1/5 of the entire price, so you're not going to get a huge discount if you skip it. Most manufacturers require you to have a box spring in their warranty terms.

-Mattress manufacturers sell the same bed to multiple retailers with different model names, so it's tough to compare mattresses from store to store. Look at what's in the mattress, rather than the name.

-I'm sure it's been said several times, but don't pay the listed retail price; you can always get a discount. Keep your eyes out for sales at all times.
Again, speaking from experience, we had a mattress promotion on almost every week, selling them for 30-40% less than the typical listed price.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2011, 10:40 AM   #16
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

For anyone looking for an alternative form to the conventional way of sleeping on a bed, check this out!

CLICK ME!

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:46 AM   #17
Knut

Exp:

My Wife and I picked up a top of the line Memory-foam bed that we found was too hard for us and trapped in too much body heat for me. We ended up switching to the top-model Kingsdown and have loved every night of sleep. Also got a killer deal at Sleep country.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2011, 11:15 AM   #18
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I got one at ikea. I trust the Swedes for ll my furniture needs.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:32 AM   #19
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

On a related note...where is a good place to buy decent pillows? I can't seem to find any consensus answer on this one.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:54 AM   #20
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My Dad just recently bought one of those memory foam temperpedics and they love it. His back problems have gone away and now my mom stops complaining how the mattress is slanted.

I tried it for a few nights and I found it way too hard for me. But I do like their pillows.
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote