Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-10-2020, 09:58 AM   #21
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I got a good deal here:

https://www.bowestappliances.ca/

Quote:
We offer quality, brand name, new in box items along with new scratch and dent appliances, as well as reconditioned items at a fraction of retail pricing.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:26 AM   #22
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
Miele is great and all, but it is expensive and expensive to run, with their own detergent and all the extras. I would go with Bosch. If you go with their ~$1,100 range - fantastic - quiet and great performance...
You most definitely do not have to use Miele brand dish detergent. I certainly do not and no issues have risen.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2020, 10:29 AM   #23
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
You most definitely do not have to use Miele brand dish detergent. I certainly do not and no issues have risen.
Sure, but their reps try to tell you that.
I am actually not happy with Miele. The house we bought was all Miele outfitted, and it has been a nightmare dealing with the steam oven - every 5 uses, something breaks down.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:10 PM   #24
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
I got a good deal here:

https://www.bowestappliances.ca/
I phoned them before buying mine yesterday and they didn't have any black dishwashers, which is what I needed. I suspect their supply is low like the rest of the stores.
Eric Vail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:23 PM   #25
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I am actually not happy with Miele. The house we bought was all Miele outfitted, and it has been a nightmare dealing with the steam oven - every 5 uses, something breaks down.
I only have experience with Miele dishwashers, which I absolutely love, and their washer and dryer. The washer/dryer are smaller but function flawlessly.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:31 PM   #26
guzzy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Do your research on Bosch. They have had multiple recalls over the dishwashers starting on fire. They clean better than North American but some models tend to ignite. I can speak from experience. Great dishwasher but I had three fires in the JB. They simmered our due to no oxygen. I finally yanked it and bought something else. I called them to tell the problem and all they told me was that model wasn’t on recall list and they couldn’t do anything for me. It was five years old and I wasn’t looking for a free one, just wanted to give them the info
guzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:12 PM   #27
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You should stop putting dishwasher detergent in your steam oven.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:09 PM   #28
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzy View Post
Do your research on Bosch. They have had multiple recalls over the dishwashers starting on fire. They clean better than North American but some models tend to ignite. I can speak from experience. Great dishwasher but I had three fires in the JB. They simmered our due to no oxygen. I finally yanked it and bought something else. I called them to tell the problem and all they told me was that model wasn’t on recall list and they couldn’t do anything for me. It was five years old and I wasn’t looking for a free one, just wanted to give them the info
When did this happen to you? recently?
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:11 PM   #29
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I just bought a Miele last week. We went in thinking a Bosch but I had read that their non-German made models are much poorer quality. Plus when we saw the 800 series in person the fit and finish seemed cheap plus it is American made now.

I ordered right from Miele. You can order on their website and it is easy. Plus they throw in 10 years right now as part of a promotion.

Lastly I cannot say worse things about Trail Appliances Service. They have screwed me over a few times. First was the flood in 2013 when they agreed in writing to pick up my old softener and dispose it. They happily charged and installed a Kenetico and then the guy and his manager said no way and left. Second was when they never told me how to maintain the softener properly causing the filter to fail and the whole unit to break. I had to buy a whole new unit last year. Finally I had the new unit break and they showed up and wanted to charge me for the warranty service despite me buying from them last year. All because I did not have a printed version of my warranty to present. I finally found it during the service, but good grief. Add that the guy who showed up a few months ago at height of COVID had no mask on.

So tl;dr I got a Miele, Bosh non-German isn't great so I hear, and don't expect good service from Trail at all
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2020, 04:59 PM   #30
3thirty
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
I just bought a Miele last week. We went in thinking a Bosch but I had read that their non-German made models are much poorer quality. Plus when we saw the 800 series in person the fit and finish seemed cheap plus it is American made now.

I ordered right from Miele. You can order on their website and it is easy. Plus they throw in 10 years right now as part of a promotion.

Lastly I cannot say worse things about Trail Appliances Service. They have screwed me over a few times. First was the flood in 2013 when they agreed in writing to pick up my old softener and dispose it. They happily charged and installed a Kenetico and then the guy and his manager said no way and left. Second was when they never told me how to maintain the softener properly causing the filter to fail and the whole unit to break. I had to buy a whole new unit last year. Finally I had the new unit break and they showed up and wanted to charge me for the warranty service despite me buying from them last year. All because I did not have a printed version of my warranty to present. I finally found it during the service, but good grief. Add that the guy who showed up a few months ago at height of COVID had no mask on.

So tl;dr I got a Miele, Bosh non-German isn't great so I hear, and don't expect good service from Trail at all
I second the trail "service". We are still working on getting issues resolved from a house we moved into last June. Same issues, multiple calls, visits and parts. No one knows what is going on and the story has to be re-told every time I call to see what is going on.
3thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 05:25 PM   #31
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

No love for KitchenAid? I think it is in the tier above Samsung, LG, Maytag, Whirlpool, Fridgidare. Have a new KitchenAid dishwasher that was installed just a year ago. Been very happy with it so far. Exterior is stainless steel and runs very quiet. No issues with it.
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
The Familia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Familia For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2020, 09:13 PM   #32
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3thirty View Post
I second the trail "service". We are still working on getting issues resolved from a house we moved into last June. Same issues, multiple calls, visits and parts. No one knows what is going on and the story has to be re-told every time I call to see what is going on.

My experience with Trail has been the opposite. We’ve bought a number of appliances from them over the past 10 or so years, and the three times I’ve needed warranty service it has always been great.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2020, 10:11 PM   #33
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I tried to buy an appliance from Trail the experience was horrendous. Took forever to find a person to talk to, the person was barely interested in answering any questions may as well have given me the finger. I was ready to buy, that day.

Ended up getting a gas range at Sears home store before they closed. Painless process, too bad they are not around anymore.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 07:34 AM   #34
guzzy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post
When did this happen to you? recently?
mine was about 5 years ago. Google Bosch dishwasher fire recalls. This isn't a one of thing. It happened for years. Again, not all models but lots of models.
guzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:28 AM   #35
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Familia View Post
No love for KitchenAid? I think it is in the tier above Samsung, LG, Maytag, Whirlpool, Fridgidare. Have a new KitchenAid dishwasher that was installed just a year ago. Been very happy with it so far. Exterior is stainless steel and runs very quiet. No issues with it.
We've had a KitchenAid for probably 12-15 years now, it replaced the crappy builders grade model that came with our house. Zero issues and would certainly recommend.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2020, 08:35 AM   #36
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, our first Kitchenaid the heating element died after 12 or so years, our new one is also a Kitchenaid and works great. Good price, too. I think it was $700, stainless tub.

The normal cycle uses less water, but it does take about 2 hours, which is usually fine for us. You can put it on express that takes about 45 minutes, which is a nice feature if you need it.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2020, 09:53 AM   #37
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

FYI Consumer Reports rates reliability top scores to Bosch, Thermador, Miele, and a step below Whirlpool. Rest are middle of road. With Samsung and Electrolux and the very bottom. Miele gets highest owner satisfaction with Bosch just behind.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:02 AM   #38
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I moved in 2017 I bought my dishwasher and washer / dryer from Trail. I had a great experience. Just dealing with them via e-mail, they sent me price lists for a bunch of different models I was looking at, and the guy suggested a version of the dishwasher I was looking at that saved me a hundred bucks for a minor cosmetic change. I intentionally bought a The installation went fine. I can't speak to warranty as I haven't had any issues with any of my appliances (I also bought a stove and fridge off Kijiji that were under warranty).
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 12:10 AM   #39
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Stick to basic machines that have adequate space underneath for ease of installation and repairs later when needed. Its the electronic gimmicks that fail on dishwashers.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 04:07 PM   #40
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

The house we just bought came with a Bosch Ascenta dishwasher, is this one of the crappy Bosch models? It cleans ok, but can't dry for ####. Even leaving it for several hours we still have to dry dishes manually as we put them away
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote