Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2021, 08:29 PM   #2421
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm looking into getting a battery pack installed on my mountain bike to give me that extra oomph when I'm going up hills. Does anyone know anything about adding this to a normal mountain bike?
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 08:34 PM   #2422
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
What is all the power number nonsense? Am I watching Dragonball Z?

Grinding it out, outside. All the time.
Power numbers are still on outside bikes...
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 08:36 PM   #2423
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
And now for something completely different.

Adidas is releasing an SPD compatible sneaker that would be great for commutes, pub rides or heading out with the family.

Though I do find it funny that they're advertising these on pedals that could just be flipped over and rode with normal shoes.

Why? Shimanos been doing this for decades. It's so you don't need your cleats every damn time.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:37 PM   #2424
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Is that cleat pocket deep enough to prevent the clickety clacketing? I've got a pair of Specialized shoes that are just great for walking in.
Yes, I've seen these in person. They are designed just like a mtb shoe.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:38 PM   #2425
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Was in the process of taking my pedal bike from the garage to the furnace room in the basement. Wanted to clean it up, lube the chain and do a basic tuneup on the bike.

Going down the stairs I slipped and the bike took off with the right brake handle putting a nice gouge in the drywall. Didn't break throught but still i'm going to have to fill the crease and repaint it.

Also took a nice chunk of skin from my elbow and started cursing. Blood on the floor and...........

Front brakes are bent and now it's off to the bike shop tomorrow

That's my excitment for the day
Old 03-01-2021, 08:42 PM   #2426
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaErtz View Post
I'm looking into getting a battery pack installed on my mountain bike to give me that extra oomph when I'm going up hills. Does anyone know anything about adding this to a normal mountain bike?
Are you doing it yourself?

Start your research here
https://ebikes.ca/?___store=canadian...=international

By batteries from there or em3ev.

Don’t buy Amazon unknown seller or Ali-express batteries.

Decide if you want a mid drive or rear drive motor. If you are actually mountain biking you want a mid drive and the Bafang is the best DIY option. If just commuting/city I would get a Bafang geared up motor.

After doing a whole lot of research I ended up just getting a RadCity on clearance which are sportchek level Bikes with okay electronics. But if they aren’t on clearance you can do much better building your own.

It really depends on what you want to get out of it, how much maintenance you can do yourself, and what your budget is.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2021, 10:07 PM   #2427
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
Why? Shimanos been doing this for decades. It's so you don't need your cleats every damn time.
Edit: didn't see what you bolded.

I have these pedals on one of my bikes for the reason you said. I just found it funny they would advertise clip in shoes using pedals you don't technically have to clip-in to.

Last edited by KTrain; 03-02-2021 at 07:49 AM.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:18 AM   #2428
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
power numbers are still on outside bikes...
https://twitter.com/user/status/134787490526658561
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 09:47 AM   #2429
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

My family and I are not serious cyclicists but we go for the occasional ride or bike park. We like easier rides such as the Canmore to Banff trail or Bow Valley Parkway this summer. I'm looking for some suggestions on a unique ride for this summer in BC. We have previously done the old train bridge ride at Myra Canyon in Kelowna and I would love to find more rides like that. Can anyone suggest similar experiences to Myra Canyon that we can check out?
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:50 AM   #2430
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
My family and I are not serious cyclicists but we go for the occasional ride or bike park. We like easier rides such as the Canmore to Banff trail or Bow Valley Parkway this summer. I'm looking for some suggestions on a unique ride for this summer in BC. We have previously done the old train bridge ride at Myra Canyon in Kelowna and I would love to find more rides like that. Can anyone suggest similar experiences to Myra Canyon that we can check out?
Cranbrook to Kimberly has a similar legacy type trail, but it's mostly in the forest, so even better. Highly recommended. Mostly uphill on the way out, particularity as you approach Kimberly, but it's gradual enough to not be a burden. If you don't want to do the full thing you can start clsoe to Kimberley, there are a few spots to access the trail. Or turn around once it starts going up, if you want ot just do the flatter section.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 10:14 AM   #2431
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Cranbrook to Kimberly has a similar legacy type trail, but it's mostly in the forest, so even better. Highly recommended. Mostly uphill on the way out, particularity as you approach Kimberly, but it's gradual enough to not be a burden. If you don't want to do the full thing you can start clsoe to Kimberley, there are a few spots to access the trail. Or turn around once it starts going up, if you want ot just do the flatter section.
Is the trail paved or gravel? My girlfriend and I are planning a bike trip through Alberta and BC this summer with our road and mountain bikes. Sounds like this would be a decent bit of trail to hit up.
stazzy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:27 AM   #2432
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stazzy33 View Post
Is the trail paved or gravel? My girlfriend and I are planning a bike trip through Alberta and BC this summer with our road and mountain bikes. Sounds like this would be a decent bit of trail to hit up.
I checked the website and it looks like it is all paved trail.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 11:15 AM   #2433
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup, paved. My wife had no problem on it at all. I'd say it is girlfriend friendly. Plan out a lunch spot in Kimberley, and you can make it a great full day. You get a nice downhill after, so you can even put a few beers in at lunch!
Old 03-02-2021, 11:59 AM   #2434
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

so a co-worker was looking at a bike for his kid - a 2011 Gary fisher full squish for $1,400 in Kimberly. boggle my mind that a 10 yr old bike would sell for that much

I suggested to my friend that he look at some new bikes. they won't be full squish, but at that price point and age, i'd much rather have a new bike even if it a hardtail
Old 03-02-2021, 01:11 PM   #2435
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't spend over $1000 for a ten year old bike, but the market is crazy as midrange and lower range bikes are scarce.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 01:15 PM   #2436
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been considering getting a recumbent trike... does it make sense to buy new? If so, what should I be looking at for a fast commuter - I.e. a good mix of performance and value, such that I'm not giving up much in terms of time to my road bike?

I'm sort of on the fence, it would be good to get to try a few out to see what I like. But it's not like bike shops carry a big selection.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 01:29 PM   #2437
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Cycling Thread 2

The trip we are looking at would be about a week and a half through BC/Alberta. The stops would be (starting and ending in Edmonton):

1. Hinton: They have an awesome mountain bike park and trails
2. Valemount: Neither of us have ridden here, but have heard good things about their single track as well
3. Kelowna: Do one day of road riding and one day of mountain biking (possibly at Big White)
4. Cranbrook: One day to ride the North Star Rails to Trails
5. Fernie: One day of mountain biking
6. Waterton: One day to ride the Red Rock Parkway

Probably do a mixture of camping and staying in hotels/airbnbs. If anyone has any suggestions on other places we should consider we're all ears.

stazzy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to stazzy33 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 01:32 PM   #2438
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the Kelowna area look up the Kettle Valley railway trails. They are all over the place.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:47 PM   #2439
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

If you're a fan of adventure cycling, Thereabouts has a new documentary from a 2016 trip the took to Colmumbia. Great production value and a really cool look at the culture and cycling culture in the country. It's worth a little over an hour of your time.

KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 07:15 PM   #2440
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

P*ss me off this morning... nice "warmish" enough to bike commute into work. Some ice but "soft" enough that with studded it's no problem. I get about 5.5km into the commute and after going through a softer icy'ish section w/ gravel on the sides I hear grinding and what feels like some resistance in my drive train. As I'm looking down at my chainrings and chain my left cleated shoe flies off. WTF. Turns out my ~5yrs old CrankBros Candy pedal imploded, committing hari kari internally as somehow bushings/seals/whatever all fail and the pedal body comes off the spindle. FFS. Seems to happen about every 3-5 years on my all-season use clipins. Anyways, hobbled back home, quick shower, drive into work and paid parking. Also bummed about losing my commute on a nice day. sigh...
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post: