Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2012, 02:00 PM   #21
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know a few people who who work for them from soccer and they all live in the beltline area. I have to wonder what those people are going to do as they have constantly said how they love working downtown and what you can get done at lunch and the after work options available with everyone else they know working downtown.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:11 PM   #22
Knalus
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Turnover?

I work in Oil and Gas as a geologist. Been working downtown for years now.

I've never once met anyone that works or has worked at Imperial. Anyone who has gotten a job at Imperial disappears, and no one ever sees them again. They don't show up to any industry functions, take part in any industry courses or interact with anyone. I've never met anyone who used to work for them, either. I've only ever seen them at campus recruitment, and then only at events separate from other companies.

They're like a ghost. They may as well have moved to Quarry Park decades ago.
Knalus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knalus For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2012, 02:20 PM   #23
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Commuting to Quary Park really isn't that much worse than downtown from the NW. Sure the distance is longer, but after you pass Bow Trail on Crowchild the traffic is pretty much non-resistant. Getting home would be much worse though.

Plus you have free parking.

Would be very easy access by bike. There is a path right in front of that place. Was biking through there the other day and for now you merg onto residential streets but there is a good bike path burried under that dirt somewhere. Anyone living Anderson Road South should be within 30 minute by bike striking distance. Bow River trail goes all the way up to the North also.
macker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:20 PM   #24
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
I was thinking more the return trip, from what I hear if you aren't past Bow Tr on Crowchild northbound before 3:45 or 4:00, it adds a half hour or more.
I work north of the University and on my drive home I continually shake my head at the people in bumper to bumper traffic heading northbound on Crowchild from McMahon past 17th (and likely all the way to the barracks). That just looks like a horrible commute and something I'd never entertain.

I can see why IOL would be looking to move to their own compound, they always seemed hypersensitive when it came to security. This will help them wall themselves off.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:28 PM   #25
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
Won't someone think about the poor O&G engineers?
The only reason I mentioned engineers is those are the folks I know at IOL, I don't know any accountants, geoscientists, admins, etc. I'm sure none of them are looking forward to more hours in the car every day.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:31 PM   #26
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

This truly is the darkest timeline.

*puts on paper goatee
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2012, 02:32 PM   #27
HELPNEEDED
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Does Imperial hire experienced personel?
HELPNEEDED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:33 PM   #28
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

traffic in this area is a gong show at rush hour....it will likely take several hours to exit QP to DDale Blvd and then get on to Deerfoot NB and get past Anderson......

I for one do not like this as it will make my life more difficult.

I understand that they have a unique culture there - a frined of mine does business with them, and thier ee's are unable to accpet anything, even a "free lunch".
Old 09-28-2012, 02:40 PM   #29
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELPNEEDED View Post
I was offered a job with them out of school, and they told me it would likely be my only chance to work there, as they typically only hire new grads. That may have been true, or maybe they were trying to pressure me as they knew I had other offers. Of course, I've never met anyone who has quit somewhere else and went to Imperial, so I suspect it's mostly true.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:42 PM   #30
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurnaceFace View Post
I work north of the University and on my drive home I continually shake my head at the people in bumper to bumper traffic heading northbound on Crowchild from McMahon past 17th (and likely all the way to the barracks). That just looks like a horrible commute and something I'd never entertain.

I can see why IOL would be looking to move to their own compound, they always seemed hypersensitive when it came to security. This will help them wall themselves off.
I am done work at 4 and drive southbound on Crowchild to 33rd avenue. The traffic northbound is backed up as far as I can see. Probably to Glenmore at that time. By 5-5:30 it must be absolute chaos... as opposed to semi-chaos I suppose.

Edit: When I worked for Conoco, I went to their Houston "Campus" and it was pretty interesting. You had childcare, laundry services and a gym facility. In that sense it was very useful but you had hardly any amenties near by.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:46 PM   #31
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELPNEEDED View Post
I know of a couple folks who have moved there so it does happen, just exceedingly rare in my experience. These guys had particular skills that fit well for the Kearl Lake project, FWIW.

Interviewed with them out of school, definitely a different kind of corporate culture.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:47 PM   #32
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Time to apply to Imperial Oil.

My commute time would be 11 minutes.

walking.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:50 PM   #33
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

On the plus side - employees from Okotoks will now only have a 10 minute commute instead of 20!
Old 09-28-2012, 02:53 PM   #34
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Holy cow. I work in commercial real estate (I’m actually thinking about starting a thread related to the topic) but this news is HUGE. People in the office are going nuts.

Be thanks to KTrain for bringing this story to CP, I was able to break it in the office and am getting some serious credit right now.
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:55 PM   #35
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
On the plus side - employees from Okotoks will now only have a 10 minute commute instead of 20!
And employees from Airdrie will have a 10 minute commute instead of a 10 minute commute.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:55 PM   #36
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

IOL hires experienced outside people for field work, but I don't know anyone who move to them for office work.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:55 PM   #37
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Conversely, Airdrie employees commute increases from 10 minutes to 12.

edit: getbak beat me to it, and was funnier.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2012, 02:56 PM   #38
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J pold View Post
Holy cow. I work in commercial real estate (I’m actually thinking about starting a thread related to the topic) but this news is HUGE. People in the office are going nuts.

Be thanks to KTrain for bringing this story to CP, I was able to break it in the office and am getting some serious credit right now.
That's probably the biggest area of impact, imo. This changes the market for downtown commercial space in a big way. If the big oil companies start doing "campuses" outside of the core, that'll hollow out downtown.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:59 PM   #39
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
That's probably the biggest area of impact, imo. This changes the market for downtown commercial space in a big way. If the big oil companies start doing "campuses" outside of the core, that'll hollow out downtown.
Hollow away.

I need to have 4 seats on the bus, so I can stretch out and lay down while I sleep.
Old 09-28-2012, 03:00 PM   #40
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Hollow away.

I need to have 4 seats on the bus, so I can stretch out and lay down while I sleep.
That's one of those things that's better in moderation. I'm in favour of it a bit, but too much and we end up with Edmonton's downtown, and I never see it anyway because now I work at a campus by Balzac.