Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-30-2022, 03:21 PM   #1
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default 2022/23 - Roughnecks / NLL Thread

Solid 2-0 start for the 'Necks, even if we have only beaten the Warriors so far. Happy to see a decent start compared to the last few seasons. Good crowd for the home opener I thought.

First big test of the season tonight against the Roughnecks Alumni team (aka the San Diego Seals). Dobbie, Dickson, Scigliano, Berg are back in town. Hoping for a big holiday season crowd.

All in all the team has looked decent so far, without Dickson I think we show a wider variety of looks on offence and spread the ball around better. Faceoffs are a bit of an issue as Salama/Currier aren't quite dialed in yet. Del Bianco is looking steady.

As far as fan experience - they are checking tickets to get into the club section now or you need to have a Telus club reservation. The taco special is not worth it in my opinion but the margarita special is solid.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2022, 11:04 AM   #2
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I was wondering how they were doing attendee wise as the Hitmen have fallen off a cliff in terms of support.

Unfortunately the NLL website is from the 90's and doesn't offer attendance. Also, the Score app has dropped NLL from their teams and leagues, which is crazy as they have pretty much any sport you can think of. I wonder where you find NLL attendance figures?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 11:10 AM   #3
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't find the number but it looked like around the same size crowd they've been getting. I would guess 9-10K overall.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2022, 11:17 AM   #4
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

That's good if they're still drawing like that.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 11:29 AM   #5
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think they have a pretty loyal base so that helps a ton.
The team looks better so far than I thought they would. Obviously gave up a ton in the first half last night, but sounds like they had some issues with practice this year and not having the right equipment. But San Diego just has a lethal forward group, including made up of 3 ex Riggers: Berg, Dickson, Dobbie and then add to that group Crowley, O'Keefe and Staats, that's the most dangerous forward group in the league.

Calgary's offense is still adjusting to life after Dickson. King is a great floor general and Pace looks like he's taking a step. But the rest if very much scoring by committee. But they are dangeorus in transition. Del Bianco had 4 assists last night, springing guys for breakaways, including 2 of the prettiest rainbow passes I've ever seen, dropping it right in the basket of a guy in full sprint and well covered. Like Tom Brady dropping one into double coverage.

Here's one of them:
https://twitter.com/i/status/1609044690703384576
Old 12-31-2022, 11:59 AM   #6
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I can't find the number but it looked like around the same size crowd they've been getting. I would guess 9-10K overall.
10,599 was announced attendance. Good loud crowd I thought.

Turnovers killed us last night, especially in the first half. Just couldn't get any sustained pressure going. Fourth quarter was great I thought. Our transition game was deadly. Currier's faceoff strategy seems to be to draw the ball back and have Currier beat everyone to the loose ball. And it works.

It is kinda nuts how much of a threat Dobbie is still, I keep thinking he'll lose a step. I've talked to a couple guys who know him and there were times in the last few years he could barely walk after games, his knee was just toast.
The Following User Says Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2022, 12:11 PM   #7
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you watch Dobbie, he doesn't run much. He'll stand in the same spot for a while, but then has a remarkable instinct for when he needs to just shift into an open spot. He's really adapted his game to rely less on his legs and more on his instincts and elite finishing ability. And yeah he's tough as nails.
Old 12-31-2022, 04:23 PM   #8
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
10,599 was announced attendance. Good loud crowd I thought.

Turnovers killed us last night, especially in the first half. Just couldn't get any sustained pressure going. Fourth quarter was great I thought. Our transition game was deadly. Currier's faceoff strategy seems to be to draw the ball back and have Currier beat everyone to the loose ball. And it works.

It is kinda nuts how much of a threat Dobbie is still, I keep thinking he'll lose a step. I've talked to a couple guys who know him and there were times in the last few years he could barely walk after games, his knee was just toast.

That was a good sized crowd...I would say as good or better than any in the post Covid era, with the exception of the $10 preseason games.
I think the Necks did well selling a bunch of tickets on a deal for Boxing Week. Lower bowl tickets were $30+ dollars, and upper bowl was in the $20s.
Old 01-07-2023, 07:30 PM   #9
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Very much want to return the favor and beat the Mammoth on their banner raising night.

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2023, 05:44 PM   #10
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice pick up today that should help the 5 on 5 offense in Josh Currier
Old 01-15-2023, 12:47 PM   #11
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Nice pick up today that should help the 5 on 5 offense in Josh Currier

Josh did indeed help, getting the 1st goal of the night, in a win last night over the 'Old Necks'.
The Following User Says Thank You to Julio For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2023, 10:19 AM   #12
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Really solid game, came out strong right off the hop and just kept the pressure on. Got a feeling, especially in the first half, that these teams do not like each other. Some big hits and lots of extra curricular outside the play. Staats and to some extent Dickson were shut down pretty well. Dobbie is still a threat.

Good games from Delbs and really the whole roster. Everyone looked pretty dialed in.

Old 03-31-2023, 05:15 PM   #13
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Huge game tonight against the Seals for first place. Really like the look of the defence the last few games. I also like the vibe of a Jesse King led team with no big "star" players. I'm even grudgingly appreciating Malawsky this season, seems to be coming into his own as a coach who can make a difference. Things are trending very good for the Necks heading into the playoffs.

Old 03-31-2023, 08:22 PM   #14
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anyone know what the "short term holdout" list is? Could use Pace tonight.

Old 03-31-2023, 08:30 PM   #15
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Basically the player is unavailable. Since most these guys have other jobs sometimes it’s related to that
Old 05-01-2023, 09:20 PM   #16
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Playoff game Saturday! I've got a good feeling we can handle Panther City, getting past the Seals is going to be a lot tougher. One game at a time, hopefully there's a big crowd this week. I've really enjoyed the team this year, much more of a balanced squad.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2023, 10:28 PM   #17
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Mammoth beat Seals???? That's something else. Necks win tomorrow and they have unexpected home field for the west final. Plus no Kelusky for Panther City tomorrow.

Old 05-05-2023, 10:31 PM   #18
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Winning goal with 2 seconds left
Calgary and Colorado are destined to meet each other in the playoffs from now until the end of time
Old 05-06-2023, 10:15 PM   #19
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Riggers advance to the west final
Neat to see two teams in Calgary going on runs
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2023, 07:55 AM   #20
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

First game,Thursday in Denver, next two in Calgary, both on Saturday, the last one if required.

Wranglers play Thursday in Calgary, but I expect Calgary wanted home games on Saturday.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post: