Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-01-2022, 10:09 PM   #21
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

He might not be the Savior but bring him in, put him with Huberdeau and Lindholm for 10 games. Not a shot at Toffoli but why won't you ####ing do it for the good of the season. If it works thats great. If it doesn't you're. 500 just like today.
Old 12-01-2022, 10:14 PM   #22
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Homer View Post
Flames have a tough time scoring in the dirty areas and rarely screen goalies. Yet 5'7 140 lbs Matthew Phillips is going to turn our offence around and save the season?

Its grasping at straws by fans trying to inject something into this team that realistically is going to have minimal effect with the structure our coach wants this team to play. If people want more scoring they should call for a new coach, not calling up a guy who has zero percent chance to succeed on this team with the way theyre being coached to play.

I dont want to see guys like Lucic in the line up either but unless you want to see 4th line Phillips thats about all you could hope for.
This team is lacking speed and skill. Phillips brings both of those in spades.

This team is getting plenty of shot volume. But they lack finish. They aren't putting their grade A chances into the back of the net. Phillips is making the most of his chances. He's just what this team needs right now.

Look at the goal Caufield scored tonight. I think Phillips can score those types of goals.

Oh and - this team has an elite player that they're paying 10.5M/year for almost a decade. He hasn't been playing like an elite player this season. The team has to get him going, and it's worth seeing whether or not Matthew could click with him.

Last edited by Mathgod; 12-01-2022 at 10:17 PM.
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mathgod For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2022, 10:22 PM   #23
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
This team is lacking speed and skill. Phillips brings both of those in spades.

This team is getting plenty of shot volume. But they lack finish. They aren't putting their grade A chances into the back of the net. Phillips is making the most of his chances. He's just what this team needs right now.

Look at the goal Caufield scored tonight. I think Phillips can score those types of goals.
I have no idea if he actually gets called up or not. But I'd wager you if he does he makes zero difference. Not even cause I dont think he's a player. But he's not a dump and chase player. Look at how the whole team is being instructed to play and tell me you think A) Sutter would deploy him properly and B) hes going to be able to go into those tough areas and get the results.

This is why I say, people wanting Phillips to be called up because we arent skilled enough should really want a coaching change. We added a 100+ point winger and a Stanley Cup winning center who led the league in scoring for much of last year until an injury. Unless you think those two suddenly forgot how to play I'm not sure how to justify thinking a guy whos putting points up in the A will come in and make the difference when those guys arent producing either.
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patek23 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2022, 10:24 PM   #24
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

The one place I could see Phillips helping out in a big way is on the PP. They need someone that can play the bumper and make that hard crisp tape-to-tape pass. Phillips has done it in the AHL, so maybe he could do the same in the NHL. The time and space is much more restricted in the NHL and may nullify that skill, but it's worth a shot. This aspect of the game is just missing for the Flames.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 10:24 PM   #25
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have no idea if he actually gets called up or not. But I'd wager you if he does he makes zero difference. Not even cause I dont think he's a player. But he's not a dump and chase player. Look at how the whole team is being instructed to play and tell me you think A) Sutter would deploy him properly and B) hes going to be able to go into those tough areas and get the results.

This is why I say, people wanting Phillips to be called up because we arent skilled enough should really want a coaching change. We added a 100+ point winger and a Stanley Cup winning center who led the league in scoring for much of last year until an injury. Unless you think those two suddenly forgot how to play I'm not sure how to justify thinking a guy whos putting points up in the A will come in and make the difference when those guys arent producing either.
Sutter's system didn't prevent Johnny & Chucky from getting 100+ points each. And I'm pretty sure they didn't just dump & chase the puck all year.
Old 12-01-2022, 10:25 PM   #26
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

The power play stinks ... might as well for that reason, alone.

He's not going to be a saviour but he might be a good player. And lord knows this team needs more good players and fewer bad ones.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2022, 10:25 PM   #27
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's a brutal oversimplification and quite frankly an ignorant comment.
The thread is a brutal oversimplification.

There’s a cap
Presuming a good AHL player in their mid 20s is an NHL saviour is naïve.
Bend it like Bourgeois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 10:27 PM   #28
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bend it like Bourgeois View Post

There’s a cap
He's better than good — he's currently the best player in that league. And the Flames just need help, not a saviour.

They have plenty of cap space and an open roster spot.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2022, 10:28 PM   #29
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bend it like Bourgeois View Post

There’s a cap
They have cap room to call him up.

And no one's saying he's a savior. Not sure why people keep making that accusation.
Old 12-01-2022, 10:29 PM   #30
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Of course, Phillips doesn't have the "other kinds of dominance" Treliving and Sutter are really looking for in potential call-ups.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1598509895929966593

(Personally, the dominance I'm looking for is with finishing, and Phillips is a career 18% AHL finisher.)

Old 12-01-2022, 10:30 PM   #31
Ferarri
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Perhaps trying something different, like a call up would inject some life into the team. This franchise is maddening at times. It’s not like they’ve been the model franchise with multiple championships. Maybe just maybe they could try something different. Shocking, I know.
Ferarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 10:31 PM   #32
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sutter's system didn't prevent Johnny & Chucky from getting 100+ points each. And I'm pretty sure they didn't just dump & chase the puck all year.
They sure didnt light it up their first year under Sutter. Until they bought in the following year and then cashed out and GTF outta town.
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 10:32 PM   #33
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've asked it before and I'll ask it again... if his size really is as much of an impediment as people say it is, and the team always had its mind made up that he was never going to be an NHLer, why have the Flames kept him in their system for as long as they have?

Quote:
They sure didnt light it up their first year under Sutter. Until they bought in the following year and then cashed out and GTF outta town.
That doesn't really address what we're talking about. You said Phillips won't make any difference because of the system, then I pointed out players who did make a difference even though they were playing the system, then you said it's because they "bought in for one year".

I don't think Phillips will refuse to buy in, if that's what you mean.

Last edited by Mathgod; 12-01-2022 at 10:35 PM.
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 10:35 PM   #34
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Of course, Phillips doesn't have the "other kinds of dominance" Treliving and Sutter are really looking for in potential call-ups.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1598509895929966593

(Personally, the dominance I'm looking for is with finishing, and Phillips is a career 18% AHL finisher.)
Then trade him for draft capital while his stock is high. Don’t destroy the kids career for no reason.

Stupid.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 10:40 PM   #35
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I doubt he has any trade value
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 10:42 PM   #36
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

In a game where they outshoot the Habs 46–19, how the hell is this possible?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1598552840393625600

The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2022, 10:43 PM   #37
traptor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

People saying Phillips won't be our savior.
That's fair he probably won't (although you never know until you try).

But at least it would make things interesting. The team is ####ing boring right now.

It's fine if your boring and winning.
But they're boring and losing. Might as well give the fans something to be excited about.
traptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 10:43 PM   #38
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I doubt he has any trade value
May as well do nothing.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 10:44 PM   #39
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I've asked it before and I'll ask it again... if his size really is as much of an impediment as people say it is, and the team always had its mind made up that he was never going to be an NHLer, why have the Flames kept him in their system for as long as they have?
Sometimes you sign players knowing they are going to top out at the AHL level. There is no shame in being a great AHL player. It's like the triple A player in baseball who just can't catch up to a 90+ fastball, can't hit the curve, doesn't have the speed on the base paths, has a weak arm, or is weak at their defensive position. They may be dominant in the minors but just never have the right package to play in the majors. It's why guys kick around the minors well into their 30s. Phillips may just be one of those AHL scoring stars who doesn't have the package to play in the NHL or the team just knows his game won't translate.

Obviously from Scorps snippet from Treliving the team is in this camp. They are obviously looking at other players down on the farm and thinking who they can give a look to. Zahorna and Duehr seem to fit the description Treliving is floating. If there is a call-up, I think it's going to disappoint a lot of people.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 10:45 PM   #40
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I know you're just predicting what they'll do, Lanny, but man ... Duehr just isn't anything. He's an AHL fourth-liner.