Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2022, 07:59 AM   #981
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

He didn’t understand what the purpose of verified is. All he’s offering now is visual proof that you’re paying for Twitter blue. It has no meaning. Trevor Noah had a great summary of this. Everyone should be able to be verified to know you’re working with a real person.

I mucked with the birth year on my account and accidentally set it so that I was under 13 years of age. It automatically locked my account until I provided them with photos of my ID, proving my age. In theory that should have verified me.

He’s literally offering a badge to show you pay for twitter like that carries any value.
Old 11-09-2022, 08:17 AM   #982
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
He didn’t understand what the purpose of verified is. All he’s offering now is visual proof that you’re paying for Twitter blue. It has no meaning. Trevor Noah had a great summary of this. Everyone should be able to be verified to know you’re working with a real person.

I mucked with the birth year on my account and accidentally set it so that I was under 13 years of age. It automatically locked my account until I provided them with photos of my ID, proving my age. In theory that should have verified me.

He’s literally offering a badge to show you pay for twitter like that carries any value.
EXACTLY.

Dating Apps have a verification process on their platforms, for obvious reasons. But to get verified there isn't an actual cost, it's a process of submitting additional pictures in prompted poses. That has value. Just paying for a blue check doesn't.
Yeah_Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 08:30 AM   #983
kermitology

Exp:

Here’s what it looks like with verified vs official. Hank likely won’t get verified because he got in a fight with Elmo.

Old 11-09-2022, 10:20 AM   #984
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
SAN FRANCISCO — Elon Musk’s Twitter may be getting into the payments business.

The social media company last week filed registration paperwork to pave the way for it to process payments, according to a filing with the Treasury Department’s Financial Crimes Enforcement Network, or FinCEN, which was obtained by The New York Times. The move comes as Mr. Musk seeks to transform Twitter after purchasing the company last month for $44 billion.

Mr. Musk has moved rapidly to overhaul the social media service, laying off half its work force last week and adding subscription features to boost revenue. A self described “free speech absolutist,” the billionaire has also said he would roll back many of Twitter’s content rules, though he has changed nothing yet and plans to form a council to help make those decisions.

Businesses that conduct money transfers, exchange currency or cash checks are required to register with FinCEN, and to report suspicious transactions to the agency. A FinCEN spokeswoman said the agency does not comment on specific businesses. Twitter did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Turning Twitter into a payments processor would be a return of sorts for Mr. Musk to his early days in the tech industry. In 1999, he helped found X.com, an online bank that later became the digital payments company PayPal. Mr. Musk, 51, has often mused about incorporating payments into Twitter, saying he planned to transform the social media service into an “everything app.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/09/t...-business.html

As expected. Kind of been expecting that dogecoin gets integrated into the app at some point too.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 10:56 AM   #985
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have the "official" checks suddenly disappeared?
Sidney Crosby's Hat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 11:04 AM   #986
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yup, Musk just tweeted that he killed it.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1590383366213611522
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2022, 11:13 AM   #987
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Twitter teetering on transaction? - UPDATE: Board agrees to sell Twitter to Musk

He must be an absolute piece of crap to work for.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2022, 11:17 AM   #988
photon

Exp:

I mean in theory trying a bunch of different things and seeing what works and what doesn't isn't a bad idea.

But usually you want to have criteria to measure the success or failure, and time to measure it.

Otherwise trying different things looks a lot like flailing.
Old 11-09-2022, 11:26 AM   #989
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

It gives the distinct impression of flailing. I imagine a poor underling being told by Musk to change this and that on a whim.

It’s bad form to roll out changes in such a clunky manner. I think like Fuzz said, they’re probably going to go with colour, but they’re fumbling their way there. Hell, even shape would work. Circle versus flowery thing.
Old 11-09-2022, 11:31 AM   #990
photon

Exp:

Change the inner icon to a bird for purchasers, the check mark for verified.
Old 11-09-2022, 11:34 AM   #991
kermitology

Exp:

If Twitter was still a public company, and I was on the board with Elmo as the CEO, I'd be asking him pointed questions about what the purpose of this endeavor with verification is? Because he seems to be making a problem out of something that wasn't a problem, and his efforts to solve the problem are only creating new ones.

How does he not understand that he's creating unplanned work with this nonsense. Now Twitter moderation has to deal with trying to figure out who is the real verified account?

And let's say for example, someone creates a Paul Rudd Twitter account and it's verified. Paul Rudd doesn't do social media, so this person is impersonating Paul Rudd and gathers a huge following, now the REAL Paul Rudd comes to Twitter and says: "Hey, that's not me, why is it verified?"

Now if he creates an account he can't be the real Paul Rudd on Twitter. This was jokingly pointed out to Elmo when other verified accounts impersonated him and his only understanding of the problem was to get mad at the people who are toying with him.

He's a moron. This is so simple and he doesn't get it. It's been directly explained to him and he's got the mentality of a child here.
Old 11-09-2022, 11:40 AM   #992
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Payments on twitter could be a very good business move. I just wonder if this idea was already researched or reviewed previously? I mean, his buddy Jack was CEO of Square at the same time he ran Twitter. He and the previous board never thought of it?
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 11:47 AM   #993
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Elon made his second round of money on PayPal. I'm sure he can figure something out.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 11:54 AM   #994
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Elon made his first round of money on PayPal. I'm sure he can figure something out.
I am not a fan of Musk, but I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on this part. What I have trouble believing is that he will be willing and able to pick a lane on what Twitter should be. A successful Ad supported model, IMO requires moderation (and connected to this to grow the audience). Subscription might help with the bots, but it might drive users away as well, which I think makes the payment app less viable. Any of which needs to happen with a massive debt load which didn't exist prior.

My main point being that I think Musk greatly overestimates his own talents while also greatly underestimating the prior management/board. This ain't going to be easy.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 11:56 AM   #995
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
Payments on twitter could be a very good business move. I just wonder if this idea was already researched or reviewed previously? I mean, his buddy Jack was CEO of Square at the same time he ran Twitter. He and the previous board never thought of it?

What would anyone want to buy through Twitter?
Old 11-09-2022, 11:58 AM   #996
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

What would a payment app on twitter accomplish? Square, clover etc are all easy to implement for small business owners. I don't see the utility.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 11:59 AM   #997
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Musk just did a space on Twitter to discuss his thoughts on what they're doing with it. The space had 110,000 listeners in it by the end. I didn't really hear anything that concrete in what I was able to catch, but that's a pretty big audience to pull on an event held out of the blue.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 11:59 AM   #998
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
What would anyone want to buy through Twitter?
Can off the rails racist hate speech be somehow monetized?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 12:07 PM   #999
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
What would a payment app on twitter accomplish? Square, clover etc are all easy to implement for small business owners. I don't see the utility.
Become what WeChat is in China
Old 11-09-2022, 12:10 PM   #1000
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn’t read very much into Musk being able to draw a crowd. He could call a meeting about anything and get at least 100k to participate.