Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2023, 06:48 AM   #2821
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Elon has always been overly confident, bold, and unpredictable but it sure feels like he's teetering on the edge of going full on crazy.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 07:13 AM   #2822
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

He thinks he's far smarter than he is. Not to say he isn't smart, but he vastly overestimates his knowledge.

Quote:
“If Elon can learn how to put a bit more thought into some of the decisions, and fire from the hip a bit less, it might do some good,” the employee said. “He needs to learn the areas where he just does not know things and let those that do know take over.”

At the same time, “he really doesn’t like to believe that there is anything in technology that he doesn’t know, and that’s frustrating,” the employee said. “You can’t be the smartest person in the room about everything, all the time.”
https://www.platformer.news/p/elon-m...itter-engineer

https://twitter.com/user/status/1625742876381421569
Quote:
I don't think anyone knows more about space than me, or at least space technology.
Arrogance will be his downfall.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2023, 07:48 AM   #2823
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Pretty sure this was the same presentation where he started rallying against the WEF.

He's a convoy billionaire that loves to feed his rabid base in order to stroke his massive ego.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 09:09 AM   #2824
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've disliked Musk for a long time. When I read about how he treated employees years ago I realized his whole "save humanity" shtick was bull. When I looked into it more I realized he wasn't the brainiac he pretended to be and that everyone thought he was. Then when he went after that diver in Thailand it just confirmed how much of a d-bag he really is.

He's not stupid but he's also not what I'd call brilliant either.
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AFireInside For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2023, 09:14 AM   #2825
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Elon has always been overly confident, bold, and unpredictable but it sure feels like he's teetering on the edge of going full on crazy.
Is this post from 3 years ago? He crossed the threshold from eccentric to full on crazy a long time ago. He's about two steps shy of going full Kanye.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 09:41 AM   #2826
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Twitter users you might be interested in following (suggested follows) or those you have common interests with has disappeared from my feed.

Last edited by MoneyGuy; 02-17-2023 at 10:22 AM.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 10:08 AM   #2827
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think all of Elon's long term decision making revolves around becoming the immortal god-king of Mars.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 10:38 AM   #2828
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
I think all of Elon's long term decision making revolves around becoming the immortal god-king of Mars.

Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2023, 10:48 AM   #2829
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFireInside View Post
I've disliked Musk for a long time. When I read about how he treated employees years ago I realized his whole "save humanity" shtick was bull. When I looked into it more I realized he wasn't the brainiac he pretended to be and that everyone thought he was. Then when he went after that diver in Thailand it just confirmed how much of a d-bag he really is.

He's not stupid but he's also not what I'd call brilliant either.
I'm not sure I agree with this assessment. I think it's more complex. He's certainly essential in moving EV's and space travel to the trajectories they're on and that wasn't a play for money. I also think he's quite genuine in his desire to "save" mankind. The bigger issue is that once you become as powerful as he has, everyone around begins to tell you that every idea you have is correct and anything else is just not as brilliant it starts to have an effect on your psyche and he's gone over to the mad king side
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 10:59 AM   #2830
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
I also think he's quite genuine in his desire to "save" mankind.
Siring 15 children because you're scared of human depopulation is not what a normal human being does. He has "views" about things that extend well beyond "saving mankind" in a conventional sense.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2023, 11:20 AM   #2831
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think his general guiding ideas are fine. Move humanity beyond Earth, reduce pollution, population issues, problems with censorship and media...but he gets the details wrong, and his methods of solving these problems are often misguided, where the ends justify the means. It allows him to achieve incredible things like SpaceX and Starlink, while handwaving away the drawbacks.
Old 02-17-2023, 11:46 AM   #2832
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Siring 15 children because you're scared of human depopulation is not what a normal human being does. He has "views" about things that extend well beyond "saving mankind" in a conventional sense.
My point is I think he's genuine, but his ideas are ####oo bananas. This is because every idea that strikes him must be excellent because he's such a genius because everyone around him is rabidly yelling "you're such a genius!"
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 11:53 AM   #2833
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My point is I think he's genuine, but his ideas are ####oo bananas. This is because every idea that strikes him must be excellent because he's such a genius because everyone around him is rabidly yelling "you're such a genius!"
I dunno - I find it hard to believe he bought Telsa/founded Space X out of a desire to help humanity. Suspect it was just - I'm super rich and these things interest me so I'm going to do it.

There's probably a billion different things that could help humanity more than building re-usable rockets.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2023, 11:56 AM   #2834
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Rumored new Twitter rules:

- 200 DMs limit per day (group chats included)
- 20 tweets limit per day (includes retweets, quote tweets and replies)
- 4 photos or 1 video per day (media tweets are counted separately from the general tweets)

Twitter Blue users will have no limits
Fee speech.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2023, 12:42 AM   #2835
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Twitter will be discontinuing 2-Factor SMS security features for anyone without a Blue subscription.

Basically you'll be more susceptible to identity theft and hackers.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 06:33 AM   #2836
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

LOL. He's desperate for more $8 subs. It currently brings in $27.8 million in annual subscription revenue from 290,000 subscribers. This article claims he needs about 10 million more to cover interest. He's lost loads of ad revenue. I don't think this plan is going to work. Expect him next to add "penny for your thoughts", a 1 cent charge per tweet.

https://qz.com/elon-musk-twitter-blu...ons-1850082558
Old 02-18-2023, 06:52 AM   #2837
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not sure I agree with this assessment. I think it's more complex. He's certainly essential in moving EV's and space travel to the trajectories they're on and that wasn't a play for money. I also think he's quite genuine in his desire to "save" mankind. The bigger issue is that once you become as powerful as he has, everyone around begins to tell you that every idea you have is correct and anything else is just not as brilliant it starts to have an effect on your psyche and he's gone over to the mad king side
We'll agree to disagree. He's exactly who I thought he was 10 years ago, maybe that's a fluke, but I don't think so.

Don't tell me he cares about saving humanity while he treats everyone around him like absolute garbage. He's always been about himself. Why buy out Tesla and fire the guys who created it then? Certainly they could be useful, but obviously he can lead people to believe he created it if those two aren't around.

We aren't even talking about bad business ideas propped up by yes men. We're taking about a guy who called a rescue worker a pedophile and treats his employees like garbage. That has nothing to do with being surrounded by yes men.
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AFireInside For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2023, 01:10 PM   #2838
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Twitter will be discontinuing 2-Factor SMS security features for anyone without a Blue subscription.

Waiting for the "we'll release all of your private information and DMs if you don't sign up for Twitter Blue" move.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 01:55 PM   #2839
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post

You can still use a security key or authenticator app, but most people won't bother with that.

Do any other sites charge for such a basic security feature?
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 03:16 PM   #2840
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone find the app runs way slower now when you try to refresh it? It takes so long for me sometimes that I just close the app in frustration a lot instead.

I still think this is an Elon troll job, mostly because I'm having a tough time believing he's THIS bad at it. I'm starting to think I could even do a better job at this, and I have zero business training whatsoever. Rule #1, just don't break your product..

Last edited by Sainters7; 02-18-2023 at 03:36 PM.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote