Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2021, 12:05 PM   #421
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
It still baffles my mind that legally(due to a murky wording) Rittenhouse was allowed to walk around the streets brandishing and pointing a "long barrel" AR 15 with FMJ rounds at bystanders (that he was not legally allowed to purchase himself or carry on his persons unless used for hunting) but would have faced criminal charges had he been in possession of a ninja star or a pair of nunchuks instead. Wrap your head around that one.
The gun control laws are what's messed up. Rittenhouse, even if not allowed to have the gun by reason of being a few months from his 18th bday, would still have only been convicted of a misdemeanor.

Why are citizens allowed to guard parking lots and walk around public streets with assault rifles in the middle of a riot? What other outcome is going to occur?
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2021, 12:07 PM   #422
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
?

This will only ramp up armed vigilantism from hate and white supremacy groups.
That's happening either way, not just from hate and white supremacy groups but from antifa clowns as well
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 12:09 PM   #423
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Do you live in Wisconsin? If not, you have no say in their laws. I’d also question if you even live in the same society as Wisconsin.
What? Of course not. Like the rest of the people here, I'm commenting as an external observer about a society I wouldn't want to live in. And I don't.

Baffling post.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2021, 12:10 PM   #424
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
Yet one can still judge them as objectively bad from one’s personal point of view
Sure. But I regard the gun laws in some American states the same way I regard Saudi Arabia’s laws around women driving, etc: I shake my head at the backwards and baffling social norms of a foreign culture.

Some people here are reacting like this is happening in their own society. It isn’t. North America is dozens of societies with dramatically different values, norms, and laws. The fact we share a language and a lot of the same culture and entertainment landscape doesn’t change that.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 12:13 PM   #425
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Why are citizens allowed to guard parking lots and walk around public streets with assault rifles in the middle of a riot? What other outcome is going to occur?
The sad part is you couldn't implement tougher gun control laws overnight. That would potentially further destabilize the U.S. due to extreme pushback and a perceived impingement on personal freedoms.

I think the only way to solve this is a slow-burn transformation of American culture to focus on crime reduction, perceive safety as a community responsibility, building respect for differing opinions, tolerance for others, and showing that toting guns is no longer socially acceptable, nor needed with the right security protocols in place.

Basically make people like Rittenhouse one day ask themselves why they would ever consider toting an AR-15 in public as a reasonable solution.

And that will take generations to achieve in the U.S. If it's even achievable at all (and most likely not).
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 12:17 PM   #426
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why are citizens allowed to riot? What other outcomes are going to occur?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2021, 12:23 PM   #427
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Kid just gets to walk away scot free. What a f'n joke.

On a related note, it sounds like he might have a sweet gig lined up for him as an intern for fellow scumbag Matt Gaetz...because of course he does.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ntern-rcna5972
Typical wedge politics being played.

Didn't bother to follow the trial as it seemed pretty much fait accompli with this particular judge.

Nothing good will come out of this...what's the lesson here? Arm yourself to the teeth when going or confronting a protest and then pleading self-defense?

Seem like things are going to get worse, if that is possible, down in the states...for the record, if the verdict was the other way, I'd feel the same way as this has become a politicized trial. Whoever lost was going to feel aggrieved.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 12:26 PM   #428
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
They're not. Rioting is illegal.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2021, 12:29 PM   #429
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Exactly.
Old 11-19-2021, 12:31 PM   #430
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I was just wondering if there were grounds for the prosecution to appeal? I don't think they can charge him with the lessor charges now can they?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 12:33 PM   #431
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I was just wondering if there were grounds for the prosecution to appeal? I don't think they can charge him with the lessor charges now can they?
Unless they can prove he bribed the judge it's over from the state level

It's possible wrongful death lawsuits can be brought privately
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 12:34 PM   #432
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I imagine we'll still see a few civil suits
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 12:34 PM   #433
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No grounds for prosecution now to appeal with the jury reaching not guilty on all counts it’s done.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 12:49 PM   #434
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Being out on the street at all that night was illegal. And given the violence and destruction the previous two nights, and the presence of the National Guard, everyone out on the streets was unwisely looking for excitement or trouble.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2021, 01:11 PM   #435
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
What's broken about the system? The system worked. You can quarrel with the law.
If you are white and charged with a gun crime and you do not get off you should ask for your money back from defence counsel in the US. Just like Zimmerman, the system worked as it should.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2021, 01:16 PM   #436
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Destruction of property is illegal. Effectively deputizing relatively untrained citizens and allowing them to form vigilante groups armed with assault rifles is not a good solution.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 01:20 PM   #437
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

This trial will be used in American law schools to teach what not to do as prosecutor.

Verdict is probably 'correct' given the laws on the books, which says more about how broken American society is than how fair its justice system is.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 01:23 PM   #438
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
Verdict is probably 'correct' given the laws on the books, which says more about how broken American society is than how fair its justice system is.
Even in Canada, while he would be guilty of a number of gun and endangerment charges, he probably would still be found not guilty of first degree murder charges.
accord1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 01:28 PM   #439
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Oh, yeah, don't get me wrong: the charges the prosecution brought against him were shooting for the moon. Like I said, this trial will be used as a lesson of what not to do for generations to come. In Canada this likely would have (or should have) been charges of manslaughter. (Maaaaaaybe first degree murder at a stretch, if they argued it was committed as part of a greater act of terrorism...) I honestly don't know what the Wisconsin equivalent is.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 01:30 PM   #440
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Destruction of property is illegal. Effectively deputizing relatively untrained citizens and allowing them to form vigilante groups armed with assault rifles is not a good solution.
Sure. But what's good the for goose should be good for the gander. There seems to be a lot more latitude given to the goose here in all of these situations by a certain group of posters.

Tags
guns , kenoshawisconsin , usa