Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-15-2021, 11:37 PM   #281
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
I’m giving MG benefit of the doubt. There’s no way an otherwise reasonable person would consider that ‘posing’. Suggesting their proximity indicates impropriety is grasping at straws, at best.
In Canada there's no way a judge would ever leave the bench without first adjourning court. Very odd to see a judge sitting down with counsel and the accused.

To be fair the USA may view things differently, as judges there are temporary elected officials, as opposed to permanent representatives of the crown, like in Canada.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 12:15 AM   #282
Mayer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Upon closer inspection, they were just getting in a quick game of COD.

Spoiler!

While I do find it odd for the Judge, lawyers and court clerks to all be watching the screen while an alleged murderer stands behind them with no restraints on, nor Officers near him (from what I can tell), I suppose it just shows that no one really believes him to be a dangerous person, including the Prosecutors.

I am beginning to question the moral character of those who cheer for Vancouver.

Last edited by Mayer; 11-16-2021 at 12:40 AM.
Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mayer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2021, 01:17 AM   #283
OptimalTates
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
No one is denying he had a knife. Blake admitted he had a knife... in the SUV. Blake has denied he had a knife during his altercation with officers, and has repeatedly stated he would not draw a knife on the police. So we have six cops who said no knife. Jacob Blake saying he had no knife on him during the wrestling match, but acknowledging he had one on the vehicle. But you got one cop (no backup) and a blurry innocuous screen shot from a video shot at a distance, and this is what you hang your hat on? Good thing you're not a cop or an attorney, because you'd be unemployed pretty quickly, as your supposition doesn't hold water.
Buddy no. I do not know where you’re getting your information as it’s not based on any reality but please just watch this interview with Jacob Blake between 4:00 and 5:00.

https://youtu.be/JcrjwP1GevI

One minute please that’s all I’m asking of you to correct your misinformation.

Blake has always said the knife fell out of his pocket during the initial struggle, picked it up and was going to place it in his vehicle. Which is why you have multiple cops yell “drop the knife”. Blake acknowledges he was shot while holding the knife.

And I’m sure once you watch you’ll move the goalposts but at least we can have a discussion about the facts, and not misinformation that was corrected over ten months ago.

Also why are Blake’s most public staunchest supporters always the ones who can’t be bothered to even watch an interview with him? Is it all just for some weird clout?

Last edited by OptimalTates; 11-16-2021 at 03:34 AM. Reason: Changed “dropped the knife” to “knife fell out” to avoid any chance of misrepresentation
OptimalTates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 04:20 AM   #284
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayer View Post
Upon closer inspection, they were just getting in a quick game of COD.

Spoiler!

While I do find it odd for the Judge, lawyers and court clerks to all be watching the screen while an alleged murderer stands behind them with no restraints on, nor Officers near him (from what I can tell), I suppose it just shows that no one really believes him to be a dangerous person, including the Prosecutors.
The picture is funny but this interpretation about restraints is silly. It doesn’t show anything. Or imply anything. People on trial aren’t wild animals, and they’re toast if they attack a judge.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2021, 06:25 AM   #285
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimalTates View Post
Buddy no. I do not know where you’re getting your information as it’s not based on any reality but please just watch this interview with Jacob Blake between 4:00 and 5:00.
That is new and I had never seen that before. Sorry, not a Good Morning America viewer. Thank you for the information. It does add something to discussion, and some new facts. Doesn't change anything seeing as that video was released in the middle of January 2021, and all of the charges against Blake were adjudicated in September of 2020. But it does provide some clarity and clear up some of the confusion around the events.

Quote:
Blake has always said the knife fell out of his pocket during the initial struggle, picked it up and was going to place it in his vehicle. Which is why you have multiple cops yell “drop the knife”. Blake acknowledges he was shot while holding the knife.
You had ONE cop yell "knife" and six others refuse to confirm the existence of the knife. You talk about misinformation then keep jumping to that point of multiple officers making the claim, which they did NOT. If there was a second cop who would have backed up Shesky's claim, there would have been a weapons charge and a different outcome. Again, you can lean into this post adjudication interview all you want, but the facts of the case and what led to the adjudication are the facts that matter. The supposition did not amount to enough evidence that could be pursued.

Quote:
And I’m sure once you watch you’ll move the goalposts but at least we can have a discussion about the facts, and not misinformation that was corrected over ten months ago.
And months after the adjudication, when the vast majority of people and media had moved on. You can claim this as goalpost moving, which I'm sure you will, but even with the existence of the knife - which from the GMA video you presented - Blake does not use it in a menacing way. He's walking away from the officers and Shesky pursues then puts seven (7!) rounds into the back of Blake. That's as many rounds as there were officers on the scene. And that's where the outrage and criticism still comes from.

Quote:
Also why are Blake’s most public staunchest supporters always the ones who can’t be bothered to even watch an interview with him? Is it all just for some weird clout?
Supporter? Not at all. Blake is a dirtbag deadbeat dad and his actions are inexcusable. He was resisting arrest and the use of non-lethal force should have been applied. Not once, not twice, but multiple times until the individual is controlled. There were seven officers on the scene and they couldn't control a small skinny dude like Blake and then de-escalate this matter? That's a condemnation of the procedures and the performance of every single one of those officers. They let this escalate when it should have been easy to control, just based on their numbers alone. And that's where the problems have always been.

For the most part this is not about Blake, or Floyd, or anyone else. It's about malfeasance within the police service in America. I know this is really hard for those who are color motivated to understand, but there is a major problem in America with institutionalized racism and bias within the thin blue line. The police are supposed to be peace keepers and they have been turned into weapons of oppression against predominantly black and brown communities. Look at the outcomes. They continually make mistakes because they are trained to be unthnking brute force instruments instead of the trusted pillars of the community they once were. From the never ending stream of violence against minority communities, to the allowing a white kid to shoot three people with a high powered rifle, and casually walk away with the murder weapon hanging around his neck. The inconsistency is striking and disturbing.

This is what the issue is here. This is what the issue has always been. Not defending those who may be breaking the law, but instead trying to make sure that law enforcement are held to a much higher standard, and they treat the community they serve with the dignity and respect they should be afforded, regardless of who law enforcement is interacting with. I'm pro cop, but only so far as them maintaining a peace keeper role. The second they become that militarized weapon of oppression against ANY community, I turn my back on the thin blue line. That ain't what I signed up to support and why I got out if it. Our police need to be better, and they need to remember they are there to serve the community, not be feared.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2021, 06:50 AM   #286
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
In Canada there's no way a judge would ever leave the bench without first adjourning court. Very odd to see a judge sitting down with counsel and the accused.

To be fair the USA may view things differently, as judges there are temporary elected officials, as opposed to permanent representatives of the crown, like in Canada.
That picture, like a number of this judges rulings in this trial, was more about re-election than the law.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 07:22 AM   #287
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
I’m giving MG benefit of the doubt. There’s no way an otherwise reasonable person would consider that ‘posing’. Suggesting their proximity indicates impropriety is grasping at straws, at best.
It is misinformation and he should be banned.

/s.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2021, 08:57 AM   #288
OptimalTates
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
That is new and I had never seen that before. Sorry, not a Good Morning America viewer. Thank you for the information. It does add something to discussion, and some new facts. Doesn't change anything seeing as that video was released in the middle of January 2021, and all of the charges against Blake were adjudicated in September of 2020. But it does provide some clarity and clear up some of the confusion around the events.
Lanny I appreciate that you may have missed my first post on the subject of Blake which I linked to the interview in post 198 but I also quoted what he said in post 249 and then in post 251 I linked you the DA report that presented all the factual evidence. I honestly thought you were arguing against Blake himself and I was taking crazy pills.

Now knowing that I'm not completely talking out of my ass, to address your position once again that six of the seven officers would not confirm the existence of a knife:

Quote:
You had ONE cop yell "knife" and six others refuse to confirm the existence of the knife. You talk about misinformation then keep jumping to that point of multiple officers making the claim, which they did NOT. If there was a second cop who would have backed up Shesky's claim, there would have been a weapons charge and a different outcome. Again, you can lean into this post adjudication interview all you want, but the facts of the case and what led to the adjudication are the facts that matter. The supposition did not amount to enough evidence that could be pursued.
There was not seven officers on scene. There were three at the time of the shooting. Sheskey who shot him, Meronek who arrived with him and Arenas who came in a separate vehicle. Their interviews that occurred on August 25, and August 26, (Blake being shot on the 23rd) are attached as Attachment 1, 2, and 3 in the DA report. All three officers confirmed they saw a knife before the shooting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statement by Meronek
As Meronek engaged the subject she observed the subject had a knife but could not recall in which hand. PO Meronek said that she yelled out to alert the other officers "KNIFE! KNIFE! HE HAS A KNIFE!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statement by Sheskey
PO Sheskey stated he drew his gun after he heard someone yell that BLAKE had a knife multiple times but up to that point he still had not seen the knife.
PO Sheskey stated as BLAKE turned left in front of the vehicle he saw a black knife in his left hand as the hand swung away from BLAKE's body
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statement by Arenas
At the time PO Arenas said that PO Meronek said "HE"S GOT A KNIFE". PO Arenas said that he then observed the knife in what he believed was the left hand of the subject near his groin area. PO Arenas described the knife as a black knife about six inches long in total with a razor blade shaped blade...
Officer Sheskey was actually the last to observe the knife, and that was almost certainly why he was the closest to the subject.

Quote:
And months after the adjudication, when the vast majority of people and media had moved on.
Yes. That's the problem. People make initial opinions off a grainy video and then when more facts come to light they don't care or actively refute the facts. I understand that very early on when the witnesses who spoke to media said they did not see a knife, only the officers yelling for him to drop one, but when the DA was saying Blake admitted to having possession of a knife two days after the shooting and video enhancement showed an object in hand, and the knife was found on the floorboard of his rented vehicle, everything began quacking like a duck. Until you get his slimy attorney saying he was unarmed.

Quote:
He's walking away from the officers and Shesky pursues then puts seven (7!) rounds into the back of Blake. That's as many rounds as there were officers on the scene. And that's where the outrage and criticism still comes from.
Well other than their being three officers on scene, I think the outrage comes from the idea they shot an innocent unarmed Black man who was breaking up a fight. Argument pretty much goes:

Innocent unarmed Black man shot and killed by officer

At this point, I would not be surprised to find out that Blake was Rachel Dolezal all along lol.

If you want to take the officers' statements as truth, they were certainly put in a precarious situation with very little time to act or think. All of which was one man's fault in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statement of Meronek
PO Meronek said that the female was frantic and loud, pointed at the male subject and yelled "HE HAS MY KIDS." The female repeated that "MY KIDS ARE IN THE CAR."
Based upon the female's statements, where she referred to the children as HERS, and not OURS, Meronek believed the children in the car were the female's and not the male subject's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statement of Sheskey
PO Sheskey stated when BLAKE got to the left front corner of the vehicle BLAKE turned a hard left and started going towards the drivers side door and PO Sheskey started thinking to himself: "I don't know what he is going to do...Is he going to hurt the kid?...Is he going to the off in the vehicle? Will we have to purse the vehicle with a child inside of the car? Is he going to hold the child hostage? Are his actions going to put others at risk?" PO Sheskey stated that he was aware of at least one child being inside of the vehicle at this time and he did not know if it was BLAKE's child.
Quote:
Supporter?
I meant actual public supporters (not us anonymous internet users) who still believe that Blake was unarmed but can't be bothered to listen to his interview. That was a poor segue into my other complaint. I mean we had riots over this guy, and multiple deaths, I wonder how many actually watched his interview and realized he was not unarmed when he was shot.

Last edited by OptimalTates; 11-16-2021 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-16-2021, 09:01 AM   #289
OptimalTates
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Finally, and I think most importantly actually for me, is the treatment of Ms. Booker. I don't know if you can back up your claims that she was a compulsive liar. If you have evidence, I guess I'd be interested but it would probably not sway me on my opinion of their abusive relationship. Again, and with all due respect, I think I have refuted nearly everything else in your initial post including them having moved on as Booker referred to herself as his fiance while Blake referred to her as her girlfriend he was staying with but preparing to leave. But even if she does has a less than savoury background, there's nothing to indicate that she was not abused, physically and sexually, by Blake. We know about her May 3 complaint where she alleges Blake forcibly inserted his fingers into her vagina, this is in addition to a myriad of other 911 complaints over their 8+ year relationship. Without airing out all the dirty laundry in the report, the reason the charges were dropped was because Booker was unwilling to talk to investigators. Again, this is the norm for abusive and dysfunctional relationships that they had.

If anything, we can only conclude that Blake is the repeated liar as he continues to maintain he had no idea about the warrant for his arrest and yet...

Quote:
o On July 14, 2020, Jacob Blake sent Laquisha Booker the following text, “Just tell him you don’t remember what you said and you would like to drop the charges.”
o Several hours later, Jacob Blake sent Laquisha Booker another text, “[I]f I’m willing to take them to the park and I got a whole arrest warrant you can’t tell me that you can’t get up and take them to a park….I rather take the chance.”
o Jacob Blake’s internet history on his cell phone shows that on August 7, 2020 and again on August 9, 2020, he looked up his pending warrant case in online court records.
Old 11-16-2021, 09:40 AM   #290
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
It's a few posts up.

I think it's really unusual that a judge would be viewing evidence that close to a defendant on trial for murder. It's definitely bad for optics.
It does look a little too cozy, what do you think the jurors may be getting from this. It is bad optics for someone that's on trial for murder.

I don't think Rittenhouse will be doing much time if any, even if he does get convicted on one or some charge there will most likely be an appeal.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 10:18 AM   #291
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
It does look a little too cozy, what do you think the jurors may be getting from this. It is bad optics for someone that's on trial for murder.

I don't think Rittenhouse will be doing much time if any, even if he does get convicted on one or some charge there will most likely be an appeal.
That camera angle is definitely making the judge and Rittenhouse look closer together than they actually are.

At the end of the day, this is a jury trial, so it's up to the jury to make the decision. The judge is going to have some influence, via his instructions. However, you have to remember that this jury is made up of 18 local people, with 12 of them being randomly drawn to make the final decision. I guarantee, that within that pool, there are a considerable amount of gun owners, who will see any conviction of Rittenhouse as de facto gun control. On top of that multiple jurors are likely to know who Rosenbaum is and what he did. Kenosha is a small town. The judge ruled out any evidence of Rosenbaum's criminal history going before the jury, but I just don't see how not a single member of that jury is going to find out.

So the prosecution basically has the task of convincing a group of locals, many of whom are likely to own arsenals themselves, that Rittenhouse, the police cadet, should go to jail for shooting a pedophile who was engaged in burning property. I don't agree with that perspective, but there's likely to be several jury members who have it.

It sounds like the case will hinge a lot on whether the prosecution is able to show that Rittenhouse was provoking Rosenbaum. This isn't likely to be a jury that sees wandering around with an assault rifle as provocation.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 10:37 AM   #292
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's like the nhl wheel of justice, except outcomes turned tragic. Sadly, probably 2 games for Kyle. Further murders by him will be taken more seriously, if he commits them within 2 years
calumniate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 10:39 AM   #293
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1460635375127433222

Tell me more about this very normal judge.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 10:47 AM   #294
OptimalTates
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I wonder what the odds are that 17 have their names written on white paper and 1 on black lol

What a gong show.
The Following User Says Thank You to OptimalTates For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2021, 10:50 AM   #295
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1460635375127433222

Tell me more about this very normal judge.

You forgot to link the onion article.
Knightslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 11:19 AM   #296
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I literally thought that was satire, too.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 11:21 AM   #297
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

It’s not satire it’s middle America *said like the punchline to the aristocrats*

https://twitter.com/user/status/1460631212742041602

Oh dontchaknow here we let the little fella pick his own jurors. It’s like a little treat for him
Old 11-16-2021, 11:27 AM   #298
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

How is this typically handled? Did they just happen to have a raffle drum in the courtroom?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 11:32 AM   #299
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even if there's precedent that is objectively ridiculous.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 11:33 AM   #300
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

A member of the court. Just another in a long line of interesting choices this judge has made.

Tags
guns , kenoshawisconsin , usa