Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2021, 07:43 AM   #2081
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Yes I know I was making a lame joke I guess.

My point is, some of us were naïve enough to think that some republicans in congress would oppose Trump's talking points. We now have a situation where 3/4 of republicans believe the lie that the election was rigged.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/04/polit...aud/index.html

MAGA has taken over the right.

If I am not mistaken, when I was not a user here but a lurker. someone posted a theory from someone online (slight joke here, I think it was you but can't confirm) that elections are not won by convincing independents and the other side to vote for you, elections are won by getting your base to vote.

Given the republican conversion to MAGA, if that theory holds, MAGA republicans will win in the general.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:46 AM   #2082
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

What if true conservatives form a third party?

Prominent anti-Trump Republicans reject third party

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKBN2AC053

Former Republicans Consider Forming Anti-Trump 3rd Party

https://www.voanews.com/usa/us-polit...rump-3rd-party

Last edited by troutman; 05-07-2021 at 08:27 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:46 AM   #2083
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
What if true conservatives form a third party?
Democrat sweep for at least once cycle as the right fractures I guess?
Old 05-07-2021, 09:25 AM   #2084
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
Which is why it will never happen. As much as "true" conservatives bitch and moan about Trump and want him gone, they want power even more. So when push comes to shove they will still bend the knee like Romney to make sure the Democrats don't gain total control
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 09:40 AM   #2085
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Which is why it will never happen. As much as "true" conservatives bitch and moan about Trump and want him gone, they want power even more. So when push comes to shove they will still bend the knee like Romney to make sure the Democrats don't gain total control
Some feel they can win the next mid-terms that way, but longer term this will be a big obstacle for them in 2024 and beyond.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 09:46 AM   #2086
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Some feel they can win the next mid-terms that way, but longer term this will be a big obstacle for them in 2024 and beyond.
The mid-term senate race is doable for the dems, I posted about it a while back (not 60 seats, but to get 51 and then have a real shot of changing the filibuster rules). Will be tight.

The house I haven't looked at. My understanding is the latest census favors the republicans, loosing a few Dem seats... but..

Everyone looks at how the Dems lost big in the house in 2020, I always thought that was a little bit of a incorrect perspective. My theory was that the house already had their "anti trump" election in 2018 midterms, and with the president running in 2020, the dems had no where to go but loose seats- they couldn't really push beyond their 2018 results. The swing was always going to be a net loss for the dems from 2018.

I feel this plays well into the mid terms, even more so with the dems spending being popular. If the last swing used the republican momentum up, it may swing further back to the dems

Last edited by Mull; 05-07-2021 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-07-2021, 10:23 AM   #2087
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As they say, dress for the job you want.

Old 05-07-2021, 11:10 AM   #2088
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
And waste a billion dollars? Not a chance.

They can just suspend him. No need to set their cash cow free. I guess one thing is you’re either so rich you DGAF or you’re so poor that you DGAF. Some people will spew garbage because there are really no consequences.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 11:38 AM   #2089
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's kinda fascinating, because here in Canada and in Alberta we have a history where a splinter parties off to the right of a conservative party, the conservative party tanking as a result, and then is forced to merge with the splinter on the splinter party's terms. A year ago I had thought that this might be something that could happen in the US with a Trump splinter, but splintering toward the center would be really unusual, because unified parties are almost always pushing toward the center because that's where they can pick up votes.

The splinter group needs to be okay with the idea that to get control of the Republican Party, they need to be willing to burn it to the ground. It's also much harder for a new party to carve out a voting block in the middle of the political spectrum compared with carving out support on the fringes.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 11:45 AM   #2090
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
It's kinda fascinating, because here in Canada and in Alberta we have a history where a splinter parties off to the right of a conservative party, the conservative party tanking as a result, and then is forced to merge with the splinter on the splinter party's terms. A year ago I had thought that this might be something that could happen in the US with a Trump splinter, but splintering toward the center would be really unusual, because unified parties are almost always pushing toward the center because that's where they can pick up votes.

The splinter group needs to be okay with the idea that to get control of the Republican Party, they need to be willing to burn it to the ground. It's also much harder for a new party to carve out a voting block in the middle of the political spectrum compared with carving out support on the fringes.
The problem with Canada's example is if I am not mistaken, both cases I can think of didn't really merge the existing party, but dragged the traditional party far to the right.

-Alliance and PC on the Federal stage got Harper and yanked right. He was "left" ish for the alliance standards at the start, but that had more to do with his minority government in my view then his party. Well that and from a fiscal side, a certain Mr. Flaherty if memory serves.

-Wildrose and PC.... UCP is the wildrose, not a PC party.

Last edited by Mull; 05-07-2021 at 11:49 AM.
Old 05-07-2021, 12:55 PM   #2091
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

And the base will eat it up with zero sense of irony.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1390475947611238406
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2021, 02:13 PM   #2092
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The problem with Canada's example is if I am not mistaken, both cases I can think of didn't really merge the existing party, but dragged the traditional party far to the right.

-Alliance and PC on the Federal stage got Harper and yanked right. He was "left" ish for the alliance standards at the start, but that had more to do with his minority government in my view then his party. Well that and from a fiscal side, a certain Mr. Flaherty if memory serves.

-Wildrose and PC.... UCP is the wildrose, not a PC party.
Maybe I kinda worded it poorly, but that was kinda my point, that in Canada it's a been essentially a power-play to pull the main party to the right. There are reasons why we should be skeptical of it being effective for a party to splinter to try and pull the main party toward the center.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to octothorp For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2021, 06:23 PM   #2093
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Given how ridiculously corrupt and shady this Arizona audit/recount is, it was only a matter of time before the DOJ weighed in.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...BingNewsSearch

Quote:
The Justice Department on Wednesday issued a warning in the Republican-run Arizona Senate-ordered audit of the 2020 election ballots, saying the audit could be in violation of federal voting and civil rights laws.

The warning comes amid scrutiny over the audit of nearly 2.1 million ballots from Arizona's largest county, Maricopa, where election officials previously found no evidence of widespread voter fraud or other issues during the state's 2020 presidential election.
Quote:
Pamela Karlan, principal deputy assistant Attorney General for the Civil Rights Division of the Department of Justice, warned Senate President Karen Fann, a Republican, in a letter obtained by CNN that turning over election materials to audit contractor Cyber Ninjas -- a Sarasota, Florida audit contractor hired by the GOP-controlled Arizona Senate -- could be a violation of the Civil Rights Act of 1960.

Karlan also wrote in the letter that there are "at least issues of potential non-compliance with federal laws enforced by the Department."
Quote:
Karlan also noted that Cyber Ninjas' statement of work includes canvassing to "identify voter registrations that did not make sense, and then knock on doors to confirm if valid voters actually lived at the stated address" raises concerns of potential voter intimidation.

"The Department enforces a number of federal statutes that prohibit intimidation of persons for voting or attempting to vote," Karlan wrote, mentioning a section of the Voting Rights Act that prohibits voter intimidation. "Past experience with similar investigative efforts around the country has raised concerns that they can be directed at minority voters, which potentially can implicate the anti-intimidation prohibitions of the Voting Rights Act."
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 06:33 PM   #2094
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Given how ridiculously corrupt and shady this Arizona audit/recount is, it was only a matter of time before the DOJ weighed in.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...BingNewsSearch
watch for the DOJ to be labelled communists next.

Its just the way the GOP are rolling right now.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 11:20 PM   #2095
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1390724854043774978

https://twitter.com/user/status/1390725903714508800
Old 05-08-2021, 01:16 AM   #2096
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes I know I was making a lame joke I guess.

My point is, some of us were naïve enough to think that some republicans in congress would oppose Trump's talking points. We now have a situation where 3/4 of republicans believe the lie that the election was rigged.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/04/polit...aud/index.html

MAGA has taken over the right.

If I am not mistaken, when I was not a user here but a lurker. someone posted a theory from someone online (slight joke here, I think it was you but can't confirm) that elections are not won by convincing independents and the other side to vote for you, elections are won by getting your base to vote.

Given the republican conversion to MAGA, if that theory holds, MAGA republicans will win in the general.
No.

We now have a situation where 3/4 of republicans peddle the lie that the election was rigged.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 01:58 PM   #2097
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Never change, blue MAGA.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1391021496202670082
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 04:18 PM   #2098
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I don't get it.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2021, 04:37 PM   #2099
Mayer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Psaki
Easily the worst press secretary that I can remember.

I am beginning to question the moral character of those who cheer for Vancouver.
Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 05:02 PM   #2100
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayer View Post
Easily the worst press secretary that I can remember.
Were you literally born yesterday? Holy ####, what a bad take on the all time list of bad takes. Spicer alone might go down as the worst press secretary of all time, but you also had Sarah Huckabee-Sanders, and Kayleigh McEnnwhatever who were all unhinged from reality and literally lied every time they spoke.

Such an insane thing to say.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote