Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2021, 06:58 AM   #3821
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I played Days Gone months after release when it was polished and it was one of the best games I played last year and one of the best open world games I've played. I feel releasing an unfinished game certainly factored in to the lukewarm reviews and that's on the developer and Sony as we saw with Cyberpunk it can sidetrack a good game. If you look at the Metacritic user reviews you will see the people that actually played it enjoyed it more than most AAA games that revived more critical acclaim. The developer has to accept some blame here for not delivering a polished game on time but that's an industry problem as well. As much as I didn't enjoy TLOU2 you can't deny the game was at least polished at release and that matters. A PS5 Last of Us remake is a total cash grab at this stage and while I get that I don't think these type of decisions are good for the industry in the big picture.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 10:25 AM   #3822
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I think people just have crazy high expectations.

PS5 has been out for just six months, all of which have been during Covid. Despite this we already have sequels announced to almost every big PS4 game that are supposed to release in the next year or year and a half - Horizon II, God of War, Gran Turismo, Ratchet & Clank. They've released big budget exclusive games across a bunch of genres for PS5/PS4 in the last five months (Spider-Man, Demon's Souls, Sackboy, Astro). We have a beloved AA developer getting their first crack at an original AAA IP coming out in two weeks (Returnal). They have some big time exclusive deals with third parties like Square Enix and Bethesda. They've been pushing a lot of really cool looking exclusive Indie games, and there's been a new day one release offered free on PS Plus every month since PS5 came out.

And Days Gone of all games not getting a sequel is what people get mad about? Or complain that it's too soon to remake a 2013 PS3 game, then go on to ask where's the remake of a 2015 PS4 game already?

These things take time - they have a remarkable amount of games announced and coming relatively soon, and there will be lots more to come. The position PS5 is in software-wise is way stronger than where PS4 was at the same point.
I don't disagree - I think people are going a stir crazy for instant gratification, especially due to the pandemic, things are magnified. Myself included.

People can go off the rails for sure...Finally playing LoU2 and am not 100% sure what was the issue...(though I am only in 15-20 hrs in) feels a lot like the other game so far...hate the dogs though

I think Sony will eventually drop some amazing games, but they haven't done a big announcement in a while beyond those you had mentioned...for myself, I am hoping that we see some new material from those AAA games at the next Sony event.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 11:01 AM   #3823
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I played Days Gone months after release when it was polished and it was one of the best games I played last year and one of the best open world games I've played. I feel releasing an unfinished game certainly factored in to the lukewarm reviews and that's on the developer and Sony as we saw with Cyberpunk it can sidetrack a good game. If you look at the Metacritic user reviews you will see the people that actually played it enjoyed it more than most AAA games that revived more critical acclaim. The developer has to accept some blame here for not delivering a polished game on time but that's an industry problem as well. As much as I didn't enjoy TLOU2 you can't deny the game was at least polished at release and that matters. A PS5 Last of Us remake is a total cash grab at this stage and while I get that I don't think these type of decisions are good for the industry in the big picture.
Thank you! This reminds me to log onto PS4 for the first time in forever and give it a whirl. I've been playing Wreckfest and Hell Let Loose a ton on PC, but nothing much otherwise
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 11:21 AM   #3824
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition will be free on PS4 and PS5 starting tonight at 9pm as part of the play at home thing Sony was doing
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wood For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2021, 11:31 AM   #3825
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Contemplating buying the show 21 as it's now available on the Xbox consoles. Haven't played a baseball video game since the snes...

Any thoughts on the show series?
I play the crap out of the game every year. As a newbie to it, you will love it. The franchise mode has barely been touched in year as like every other sports game the stupid card collecting mode is the money maker.

Having said that, it plays an amazing game of baseball! The players have life, they react to what is happening on the field. The commentary is also good, but again, not enough has been added in recent years so it is repetitive for a long time user, but will be excellent for a someone new to the game.

The learning curve is difficult, but they help you with that. I suggest dynamic difficulty as it will progress as you do.
Old 04-19-2021, 01:13 PM   #3826
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
hate the dogs though
I refused the kill the dogs. And if I accidentally did I restarted the last checkpoint.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 04:04 PM   #3827
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalCarpenter View Post
This games makes me throw my controller like I am 10 years old playing super mario bros. Definitely Nintendo Hard when you get further up the pyramid.
I've played about an hour and really digging it!

I've made it through the first two dungeons without dying yet which seems to be doing well? Though I only got through the first on the back of a curse that actually ended up being really helpful while I was figuring out the mechanics lol. My trophy list tells me only 60% of people have made it through the second dungeon at all. I can definitely see it ramping up as you progress. Combat is definitely weightier feeling than Hades -- that game was all about zipping in and getting a few hits and zipping away, this one is more about well timed dodges and positioning and making sure you don't gas out your stamina points in a bad spot. Enemies move slower but attack faster (if that makes sense).

I feel like developers are really starting to nail these roguelike games, some of the older ones that were popular in like 2016-ish like Enter the Gungeon and Rogue Legacy and even Dead Cells never did much for me. But more recent ones are really pushing the right buttons. I'm excited for Rerturnal next week, it's really looking like the first AAA roguelike.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 04:13 PM   #3828
DigitalCarpenter
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I've played about an hour and really digging it!

I've made it through the first two dungeons without dying yet which seems to be doing well? Though I only got through the first on the back of a curse that actually ended up being really helpful while I was figuring out the mechanics lol. My trophy list tells me only 60% of people have made it through the second dungeon at all. I can definitely see it ramping up as you progress. Combat is definitely weightier feeling than Hades -- that game was all about zipping in and getting a few hits and zipping away, this one is more about well timed dodges and positioning and making sure you don't gas out your stamina points in a bad spot. Enemies move slower but attack faster (if that makes sense).

I feel like developers are really starting to nail these roguelike games, some of the older ones that were popular in like 2016-ish like Enter the Gungeon and Rogue Legacy and even Dead Cells never did much for me. But more recent ones are really pushing the right buttons. I'm excited for Rerturnal next week, it's really looking like the first AAA roguelike.

I about 80% complete, they really turn the screws once you get past the 70% mark. Great gameplay but it gets unforgiving later if you make a mistake. IE: miss the dodge / parry on the first guy in the pack and his 4 buddies railroad you and you end up taking 4 hits and a solid run just turned into a clinging to your life situation.
DigitalCarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 05:28 PM   #3829
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Damn you folks....all this talk about Days Gone made me decide to pick it up off Amazon.....no knowing it was free on PS+... Hopefully they can cancel my order.
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 06:29 PM   #3830
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
I refused the kill the dogs. And if I accidentally did I restarted the last checkpoint.
you're a better man than I then; I am not good enough to get through on the first play through without killing them...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 06:31 PM   #3831
SoulOfTheFlame
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
So you didn't finish it huh?

SoulOfTheFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 06:38 PM   #3832
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulOfTheFlame View Post
So you didn't finish it huh?
I did. I'm talking about non-QTE gameplay.
The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2021, 12:54 PM   #3833
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

MLB The Show 21 is not optimized well for the Xbox One at all. I'm getting really bad jittering. It looks like it's locked at 30 fps.
Old 04-20-2021, 01:53 PM   #3834
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've read the performance isn't especially great on the current gen of consoles. I'm playing it on PS5 and it runs like butter.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 02:23 PM   #3835
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
I've read the performance isn't especially great on the current gen of consoles. I'm playing it on PS5 and it runs like butter.
Yeah, I played the PS5 beta and it was fine. I think atleast for now I'm just going to go back to playing 20 on my PS5 until it's eventually patched or I eventually get it for PS5.
Old 04-21-2021, 11:12 AM   #3836
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Had fond memories playing Super Monkey Ball for the gamecube way back when, so I picked up Banana Blitz last week when I saw it on sale. It's either too hard or I just suck so much that it's not at all fun
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 07:07 PM   #3837
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Had fond memories playing Super Monkey Ball for the gamecube way back when, so I picked up Banana Blitz last week when I saw it on sale. It's either too hard or I just suck so much that it's not at all fun
Nah it’s not you, it’s that they inexplicably decided to remake the crappy Wii game instead of the good GameCube ones.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 11:19 PM   #3838
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

12 EA games just got FPS boost on series consoles. Looks like I'll be playing through the Titanfall series again at 120fps....excellent.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 11:44 PM   #3839
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
12 EA games just got FPS boost on series consoles. Looks like I'll be playing through the Titanfall series again at 120fps....excellent.
So Titanfall 2 then
Old 04-23-2021, 08:57 AM   #3840
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
So Titanfall 2 then
You didn't like Titanfall? I thought both were a lot of fun.

Edit: Also I jumped on BF4 last night @ 120FPS, still a fairly large community and the 120fps makes for a far better experience.

Last edited by Since1984; 04-23-2021 at 09:00 AM.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote