Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2017, 01:40 PM   #61
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

unfortunately, this storm isn't over... this is a slow moving catastrophe

projections from this afternoon is that Houston could have DOUBLE the amount of water that has fallen to date by tomorrow.

projections of a 1 in a 1000 year flood event... which is insane.

hopefully the response is able to manage the in flux of displaced folks.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.5a73b111893b

Good Luck to those folks down there!
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2017, 02:52 PM   #62
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

From reddit houston
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 03:48 PM   #63
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just grotesque down there. Hearing some stories from former co-workers there and it is apocalyptic in certain areas, but with Houston being so big, some areas are totally fine, Katy seems to be okay. Compared to others closer to the bayous (I guess those are their rivers through town) where levels are up 5+ feet, if not more above street level.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2017, 04:46 PM   #64
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just heard on the news that Houston and area is still set to get another 50 inches. Not 15...50! My god...they're going to be in trouble.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 05:01 PM   #65
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Just grotesque down there. Hearing some stories from former co-workers there and it is apocalyptic in certain areas, but with Houston being so big, some areas are totally fine, Katy seems to be okay. Compared to others closer to the bayous (I guess those are their rivers through town) where levels are up 5+ feet, if not more above street level.
having been through our flood here, it is something that creeps up on you... you don't think its "that bad" but suddenly you have no power, no water, your parkade door won't open, its pitch black in the hallways of your condo building...

the issue is that there are 6 million people in houston and while it is spread out area i would imagine those affected would be 100s of 1000s?

In calgary, i think it was tens of thousands...i live in mission, so parts of the area were flooded, but some areas weren't, but the grid was out...

i don't think people realize the scale of what this catastrophe will be, but if the storm is stalled it will be massive.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2017, 12:49 PM   #66
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Weirdest storm ever, Harvey is about re-enter the gulf in the same spot it entered 3 days ago and will likely re-energize and do it all over again
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:01 PM   #67
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, that doesn't look good for Houston...
Path here:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/trackin...ath-1503703224
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2017, 01:20 PM   #68
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Trivia that may only interest me - The 1993 Urge Overkill album featured the Houston skyline, and was call Saturation.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:28 PM   #69
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Trivia that may only interest me - The 1993 Urge Overkill album featured the Houston skyline, and was call Saturation.
Sorry for the slight OT, but that tall building in Houston's skyline is exactly what Brookfield should have been. Brookfield is skinny on one side and suits our skyline but totally destroys everything from the north and south. Just way too fat, which really minimizes the rest of the skyline and isolates itself in the process.

Horrible decision to go with two widths, imo. You look at that tall building in Houston and it would have fit perfectly into our skyline and would have made our smaller buildings stick out nicer.

Last edited by jayswin; 08-28-2017 at 03:11 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2017, 01:33 PM   #70
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
...Which was followed by Exit the Dragon. Harvey Keitel acted in the movie Red Dragon. Harvey was also in a movie called Head Above Water. I'm not sure where I'm going with all this, but surely there is a connection here.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2017, 04:42 AM   #71
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

The big issue facing Houston today are the Addicks and Barker dams.

On a map of Houston, the George Bush Park and Bear Creek Pioneers Park are in fact large reservoirs built to protect the city from flooding.

Currently, Addicks is at 107.62 feet, at 108 feet water will start uncontrollably spilling around the edge of the dam, at 111 feet it will start overtopping parts of the dam. At 119 feet it starts overtopping the main dam. Overtopping leads to erosion which leads to breeches.

Sensors at Barker dam appear to have broken at around 100 feet as the gauge structure began to flood, but extrapolations have Barker at around 102' right now, with overtopping starting at 104'

Most experts do not expect the dams to breech, but uncontrolled spillage appears to be inevitable. Uncontrolled spillage seems to mean flooded neighborhoods, while a major breech means downtown Houston gets swept into the Gulf of Mexico.

Both Addicks and Barker reservoirs are not expected to crest until Friday morning, even if the rain stops, as much of the Houston area drains into them.

Last edited by driveway; 08-29-2017 at 04:49 AM.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 05:43 AM   #72
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

I understand why the East of the hurricane path gets more wind, but why is the rain concentrated on Houston?
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:13 AM   #73
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

For most of the storm, the center of rotation has been to the west of Houston. It's only been in the last 12 hours or so that the main rain bands have moved to the east of the city.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:46 AM   #74
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Six times the amount of rain in Huston compared to Canmore during the 2013 flood...

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/c...ison-1.4265668
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:51 AM   #75
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Houston had 41 inches of rain in three days, the annual rainfall in Seattle was 37 inches.

It's almost as if the climate is changing....
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:02 AM   #76
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Not posting much any longer but thought I would share this.

I have a close relative who lives in Spring TX which is just NW of Houston. We have been staying in touch since this started....got this one just a couple hours ago.

Quote:
Hi, we are still dry, feeling thankful- flooding all around us!! Glued to the tv watching rescue after rescue. Up till midnight last night watching front end loaders and huge dump trucks pulling people out of neighborhoods and taking them to the underside of a flyover in the freeway system.
From there they were being taken in a furn delivery van to a Walmart where then they were bussed to a shelter. This all after spending hours out in the rain waiting for a rescue.
In another broadcast they were picking people up from the shelters and shipping them to Galveston to fly them to Dallas.
New areas this morning flooding- will it ever end !!!!
Thankful to be dry with electricity !!!
Temp is low 70's but with the wind and rain people are cold, and of course wet ...
9000 and counting sheltering at the convention center, plus so may other shelters.
Its unfreaken believable
Mind boggling to think it is only going to get worse. The set of circumstances to allow this thing to slow down and then get pushed back into the Gulf and reform only to come back and dump that much water all over again are once in a thousand year event.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:07 AM   #77
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Family is hanging out at my Aunt and Uncles in Kemah. No problems there yet and they are right on the water.

Cousins house in Houston is dry so far. Other cousins house in Katy is fine.

So far so good...
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:18 AM   #78
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
The set of circumstances to allow this thing to slow down and then get pushed back into the Gulf and reform only to come back and dump that much water all over again are once in a thousand year event.
I think people need to stop thinking of this as a once in a thousand year event. This is the new normal. As the planet's temperature continues to rise, these events are going to happen at an accelerated rate. I would bet any amount of money that a worse weather related disaster happens within a decade.

Glad your family is still safe though.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:22 AM   #79
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Actually they happen less. That's not to say they're not worse though.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:22 AM   #80
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
I think people need to stop thinking of this as a once in a thousand year event. This is the new normal. As the planet's temperature continues to rise, these events are going to happen at an accelerated rate. I would bet any amount of money that a worse weather related disaster happens within a decade.

Glad your family is still safe though.
A hurricane? You only have look like 8 years ago for the last major one. They are quite common.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post: