Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2015, 12:52 PM   #641
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of the time wasters on this job was that the counter is 5'4" x 12'3". Laminate comes in 5'x12' sheets...leaving me to have 2 joints. Same with the board material. 4'x8'. I also REALLY didn't want to re-do the tile backsplash, so removing the old countertop that was under the tile was tricky, and getting the new one square(against un-square walls) was another pain. I also couldn't raise the counter up to create a proper lip as it would be above the tile, so we made edge strips, also a pain...

I only had to run to Rona twice though(after the initial run) so that's pretty good! Though didn't have an opportunity to buy a new tool, as is compulsory when you do a job. Between my dad and I ,we already had everything we needed!
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 12:56 PM   #642
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
One of the time wasters on this job was that the counter is 5'4" x 12'3". Laminate comes in 5'x12' sheets...leaving me to have 2 joints. Same with the board material. 4'x8'. I also REALLY didn't want to re-do the tile backsplash, so removing the old countertop that was under the tile was tricky, and getting the new one square(against un-square walls) was another pain. I also couldn't raise the counter up to create a proper lip as it would be above the tile, so we made edge strips, also a pain...

I only had to run to Rona twice though(after the initial run) so that's pretty good! Though didn't have an opportunity to buy a new tool, as is compulsory when you do a job. Between my dad and I ,we already had everything we needed!
Haha - forgot about that part too. It seems every project I do, there is some tool that I don't have and I end up buying it.
Old 11-16-2015, 01:21 PM   #643
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of a new tool, what would you guys suggest for a voltage tester? I don't need anything fancy, but I should probably get one before I start playing with wires.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 01:28 PM   #644
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Speaking of a new tool, what would you guys suggest for a voltage tester? I don't need anything fancy, but I should probably get one before I start playing with wires.
Just don't touch the white and black wires at the same time.

Don't need no fancy voltamage tester.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 01:38 PM   #645
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's handy to have a no contact one like this:
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.1000664603.html
just to make sure you turned the right breaker off, or your house wasn't wired by handyman Fred and his handy jumper wires.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2015, 01:49 PM   #646
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah always good to double check with that tool, never make assumptions.
Old 11-16-2015, 01:53 PM   #647
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
I have this Fluke and find it pretty handy.
http://www.amazon.ca/Fluke-1AC-A1-II...1-II+VoltAlert

One thing I got when working with anything electrical was some insulated screwdrivers.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...=1,43411,70372

I find the Wera screwdrivers in general to be really awesome. Beats all the cheap chinese crap at home depot.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2015, 02:08 PM   #648
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
Haha - forgot about that part too. It seems every project I do, there is some tool that I don't have and I end up buying it.
Klein or Fluke brand and nothing else. Cheaper volticks can and do pick up induced voltages (maybe 2-3 volts) and tell you a wire is live when it isn't. Don't cheap out (at $20-$30, it's not worth saving $10).

Last edited by PaperBagger'14; 11-16-2015 at 02:11 PM.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2015, 02:24 PM   #649
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, electrical stuff is definitely not something you want to cheap out on or take short-cuts with. Especially when you're an amateur (like me!).
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 02:39 PM   #650
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I use a Fluke meter, great to have.
I took a tip from an electrician I knew when he did some work on an old house for me. What he said was, "Plumbing, you can see the water, hear the water, and feel the water to know if you have issues. Electricity, not so much. Be careful." He actually said for DIY guys, work during the day if possible (so you can see) and then, turn the whole house off, just like you do with the water when doing plumbing.
puffnstuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 02:56 PM   #651
Simon96Taco
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
The excuse to buy a new tool is the best part of a new project/job at home!
Simon96Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Simon96Taco For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2015, 11:37 PM   #652
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Yeah always good to double check with that tool, never make assumptions.

Yeah, you can't necessarily trust the breaker being off if somebody added a new outlet by daisy chaining off somewhere on another circuit. If I am just testing the outlet though before going in, a lamp is also a pretty good indicator.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 11:51 PM   #653
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I guess that really depends on the specific situation. I've done both ways. Always choose the path of least resistance first. I get a confidence boost each time I pull one through the wall, so do the easiest ones first.

And like another guy said, cutting an extra hole in the wall is not the worst thing in the world. It can be patched easily enough. Obviously avoid it if you can, but if you are seriously running into a huge issue, just cut an extra hole for access.

Yeah, I have resigned myself to having to cut a few holes for some exploratory work. I am pretty sure I will run into an issue trying to blindly route cable 50ish feet from where I want to terminate them. Not so much the cutting and patching drywall that I mind, it's the matching the paint on the wall so it doesn't look obvious.

On the bright side, I got my order in for cable, keystone, and wall plates so I am committed. Hopefully can start on Friday.

Didn't even know cat6a cable was available. Wonder if I should have splurged the extra $175 and gone with that over cat6. C'est la vie.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:43 AM   #654
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

So I was getting ready to put my insulation up in the garage and I noticed some mouse poop, so I set a few of those old school Viktor traps last night, he cleaned all four off. Any tips on how to remove the pesky buggers? I checked the house over I can't see any evidence that they have made it inside yet, brand new house it should be sealed up pretty good, but they definitely have a presence in the garage.

It is my own fault, I always leave the garage door open while I am doing stuff in there, but who doesn't?
Old 11-17-2015, 08:49 AM   #655
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Yeah, I have resigned myself to having to cut a few holes for some exploratory work. I am pretty sure I will run into an issue trying to blindly route cable 50ish feet from where I want to terminate them. Not so much the cutting and patching drywall that I mind, it's the matching the paint on the wall so it doesn't look obvious.

On the bright side, I got my order in for cable, keystone, and wall plates so I am committed. Hopefully can start on Friday.

Didn't even know cat6a cable was available. Wonder if I should have splurged the extra $175 and gone with that over cat6. C'est la vie.
If you still have the paint for the wall - repaint the entire wall for the best result. If you do not have the paint - take one of your pieces you cut out to Rona and have them colour match it - then repaint the entire wall for the best result.

Also to save yourself time - make sure to cut nice holes in the wall and save the pieces and use them when patching.

surferguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:54 AM   #656
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
So I was getting ready to put my insulation up in the garage and I noticed some mouse poop, so I set a few of those old school Viktor traps last night, he cleaned all four off. Any tips on how to remove the pesky buggers? I checked the house over I can't see any evidence that they have made it inside yet, brand new house it should be sealed up pretty good, but they definitely have a presence in the garage.

It is my own fault, I always leave the garage door open while I am doing stuff in there, but who doesn't?
You mean he took the food off the trap without triggering it? I used peanut butter. Got him first try.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:26 AM   #657
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post

Another story from my experience....

For whatever reason, I've only been successful at attaching an RJ45 (the male terminal) once. I just can't get it to work ever. I'm no sparky, but I've watched a million videos and such how to do it, but could never get it right (except once). I consider myself pretty handy. Maybe my crimpers were crap? I don't think I bought the cheap one.

Anyhow, my work around was to terminate the ethernet cable with the female ends (those were easy) and then I bought just little 1, 2 or 3 foot patch cables (have the RJ45 male end on both ends) to connect from the cable in the walls to the router on one end and the computer on the other end.

Hopefully you have better luck, but for whatever reason, attaching the male ends did not work for me. As a side note, I even went to a Fry's Electronics (huge, huge electronics place in the US) and went to their geek squad equivalent desk and offered the guys cash if they would put a male RJ45 end on a length of bulk cable for me. Those nerds actually refused saying that they could never figure it out either!

So beware of that issue that might pop up for you.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:36 AM   #658
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Anyone know where to get the 4 or 5x12 sheets of laminate for countertops from? Rona only has 4x8.

Thanks
You should be able to order them in at any building supply store. When you pick your sample they can order 4x8 or 5x12. That's what Iv'e always done.

I doubt they stock 5x12 anywhere.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:45 AM   #659
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Job already done! I got 5x12 at Formations Inc. http://formationswood.com/

They stock almost all of Formica's line, and for only a bit more than a 4x8 sheet costs at Rona.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:49 AM   #660
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Another story from my experience....

For whatever reason, I've only been successful at attaching an RJ45 (the male terminal) once. I just can't get it to work ever. I'm no sparky, but I've watched a million videos and such how to do it, but could never get it right (except once). I consider myself pretty handy. Maybe my crimpers were crap? I don't think I bought the cheap one.
If the issue is it's always too loose, or the teeth don't really go through the wires much, then it's either a bad crimper or you're not squeezing hard enough.

I've done hundreds of them and never had an issue with a decent crimper.

If the Fry's "Geek Squad" equivalent can't mange doing it, then they're just as useless as the actual Geek Squad.